i was afraid of this

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
>> read time 2min

Target Marketing

AdWhere? Google Announces Contributors
November 24, 2014 By Jeremy Zimmerman
Are you one of those pesky Millennials who just can't stand advertising on the internet—sometimes so much so that you use an ad-blocking software to render it invisible? Me too. Or maybe you just hate how native advertising had brought down the quality of journalism to click-bait headlines and entire mediocre-at-best publications like Buzzfeed. Me too. Luckily, Google's got a plan to help internet users support content—and ditch the ads in the process.

RELATED
On Thursday, Google announced Contributor: a platform that allows internet users to pay a small (scalable from $1—$3) monthly fee, in exchange for Google removing any Google-served ads on select sites. Currently, there are only 10 publications that can be effected by this early stage of Contributor, but if things go well—and this is Google, we're talking about here—then it's quite possible that the service could expand to include any site where Google's ads are served.

On the advertising side of things, the details coming from Google are less clear. It's assumed that (most of) the money generated by subscriptions would go in place of AdSense revenue, but the details are hazy. Even if advertisers aren't getting placed as much as they used to, until the program is in full swing it will be hard to measure the impact of this on online advertising as a whole. What kind of effect do you think Contributors will have? Share with us in the comments, below.

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
Not very worried Businesses are paying thousands of dollars to have their ads in front of people. $1 - $3 per month probably won't have a crushing blow in the near future. Plus millennials are lazy (not all but it seems like the crew at my other job feel that they should be granted more because of, what, I don't know) and have a false sense of entitlement and believe they shouldn't have to pay. Good example, Google also announced that you can pay $10 per month to have ads removed from YouTube and go straight to the video. Why pay $10 when you only have to wait a few seconds and then you can skip?

But thanks for the article...

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Not very worried Businesses are paying thousands of dollars to have their ads in front of people. $1 - $3 per month probably won't have a crushing blow in the near future. Plus millennials are lazy (not all but it seems like the crew at my other job feel that they should be granted more because of, what, I don't know) and have a false sense of entitlement and believe they shouldn't have to pay. Good example, Google also announced that you can pay $10 per month to have ads removed from YouTube and go straight to the video. Why pay $10 when you only have to wait a few seconds and then you can skip?

But thanks for the article...
Although it may be contrary to My self interest as a business owner...Ads are extremely annoying for some folks online experience.

Mine included.

I would gladly pay 1- 3 bucks to be ad free.

My suspicion is that high end prospects will also.

Google is a diabolical machine

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
That only applies to the annoying display ads to the right >>>>>
This does not affect the 2-3 text ads at the top of a search.

Why?

Google can now offer another option to businesses. complication = profit in googles eyes
Plus if you want to reach this group of people now you only have 3 slots available. So what is going to happen to the cost of those 3 slots when 100 advertisers want them? skyrocket!!!!

So what does this mean for marketers?
better research and figuring out your value proposition.
Better copywriting, if you only have 25/35 characters and only 3 slots available then you better nail it.

Its not a bad thing actually...

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
I don't get it. I have an adblocker already for free. This is going to be marketed to the older generation I think. I don't see Any ads online or anywhere even on my phone. (Even in app ads disabled) I don't even get ads on YouTube etc.

When I search on google and don't see what I am looking for organically in the first 2 pages, I will actually turn on ads so that I can see who is bidding for my keyword search. This product/service is directly targeted to the baby boomers IMO.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
I don't get it. I have an adblocker already for free. This is going to be marketed to the older generation I think. I don't see Any ads online or anywhere even on my phone. (Even in app ads disabled) I don't even get ads on YouTube etc.

When I search on google and don't see what I am looking for organically in the first 2 pages, I will actually turn on ads so that I can see who is bidding for my keyword search. This product/service is directly targeted to the baby boomers IMO.
All redirects to more focused targeting.

If you have a niche focus, then these splits stay front and center. If, on the other hand, you're casting a much wider net, then you better open things up a little --- as I am, having brought on multiple partners.