I "Trumped" my detail crew today | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

I "Trumped" my detail crew today

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
We have experienced massive growth in the last year at our RV dealership. This of course doesn't come with its share of challenges.

Growing pains come in many areas and employees is always one of the biggest challenges.

We currently have 22 RVs sold that need to be delivered in the next 10 days. This obviously has put additional strain on every dept. I'm short handed one key guy in our detail dept and the remaining three decided they need more money....hmmmm

Now keep in mind these guys are well paid, $40-$50k a year. We did this a couple years ago as an investment in people to bet on having a higher quality product for sale and at delivery. Now two years later we are getting the payoff, they of course have forgotten that and now think they deserve more because the business is doing more...expecting more.

I met with the team this morning. I was fair but firm with my delivery. I let them know not only would there be no more money but my expectations where going to continue to be higher. I also let them know they where more than welcome to start their own business and bid the work vs being an employee. I let them know I had already contacted three companies to give me bids as well.

As indispensable as they thought they were by willing to walk away from the table I remained in complete control of the situation. This also sent an invaluable message to other departments as you can bet they where watching to see what would happen..

I even have an outside contractor coming tomorrow to do some work to make my point loud and clear.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
So basically you just put the fear of god in them? This in turn put the fear into the other departments? If that's the case, love it. Hate when they see you buy or live large that they should have the same as you without putting their dues in. I had no silver spoon and won't be providing them with one. Welcome to the "entitlement generation".

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
So basically you just put the fear of god in them? This in turn put the fear into the other departments? If that's the case, love it. Hate when they see you buy or live large that they should have the same as you without putting their dues in. I had no silver spoon and won't be providing them with one. Welcome to the "entitlement generation".
With it, it brings a new generation of employees. But more importantly...a new generation of customers

Reactions: StevenB.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Did you tell them you gave yourself a 20% increase in pay Kipp?
Just funnin.
So they have not had a raise in two yrs?
Sounds like they are making good money ( of course expected to deliver) for basically being unskilled . Not saying detailng is basic work but not like they are RV mechanics -service techs that I would assume would be making more per yr?

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Did you tell them you gave yourself a 20% increase in pay Kipp?
Just funnin.
So they have not had a raise in two yrs?
Sounds like they are making good money ( of course expected to deliver) for basically being unskilled . Not saying detailng is basic work but not like they are RV mechanics -service techs that I would assume would be making more per yr?
Our service techs make about $80k a year

The detailers are definitely well paid but we have extremely high standards on cleaning and restoration so we pay well.

Hired another Detailer today...I got everyone standing at attention now lol

Reactions: emeraldclean

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike

The detailers are definitely well paid but we have extremely high standards on cleaning and restoration so we pay well.

Rv's are getting scarce now season is over around here, do y'all stay pretty busy in the summer also Kipp or do you travel up north like our local dealers

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada

Well great to have good staff... they do need to know that they are paid well but also replaceable if push comes to shove!

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Rv's are getting scarce now season is over around here, do y'all stay pretty busy in the summer also Kipp or do you travel up north like our local dealers
The dynamics of the RV business has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. While the Internet has been around much longer only in the last 5 years have consumers gotten comfortable with making online purchases for such an expensive item.

That being said we stay pretty consistent year round, are business just comes from different places.

4th quarter is always slower though

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
The dynamics of the RV business has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. While the Internet has been around much longer only in the last 5 years have consumers gotten comfortable with making online purchases for such an expensive item.

That being said we stay pretty consistent year round, are business just comes from different places.

4th quarter is always slower though
Some of those rigs are amazing, still amazing that people make such a purchase online

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
There are a couple of the largest dealers in the country here in my town. No sales tax in Montana and no yearly property taxes on RVs. Many corporations setup in Montana to own 100k + motorhomes. LIcensed RVs in Montana pay no yearly property tax.

Reactions: MikeGaure