I think somebody wants to burglarize me

yeshuaisiam

Sep 13, 2011
Real Name
Christian
Business Location
United States
I received two rather disturbing emails. They came to my carpet cleaning web site email addy and were custom (non-bot spammish but actually articulated and custom).

1st email (paste) -
Hello

This is Anthony Smith. I'm looking for a good and honest person to help me with the Carpet Cleaning, the carpet is 1500 sqft, All the Furniture as been Moved out,its online Carpet you will Clean.I will pay $600 for cleaning the Carpet. i am presently receiving my hearing treatments at the hospital and am going to have a surgery soon ,i want the Carpet Cleaning to be done before i get back from hospital. I will be making the payment with my Credit Card for cleaning. I will be Paying $600 for Carpet Cleaning

My caretaker is not in the city now, i need your address so i can give my caretaker to send the Key of the House,when you finish clean my house, you will send the key back to my caretaker

Hope to read from you soon

Anthony Smith

END paste

$600 is ridiculous around here. Also who offers money without a quote? Care taker "mail a key".

Yeah right. But anyhow to move it along to see if perhaps paranoia was too much and this could just be an "oddball" I respond -

Paste -
Hello Anthony,

So that I can put your home in the schedule, what is the address of the property and also your phone number. I can call you to make the arrangements for getting the key sent to my PO box.

Thank you!
-Christian
END paste

I kept it simple and would give my PO box.

Email from him today (paste) -
Hello

Thanks you for reply sent. Alright the favor is that i have not pay for the Care taker who will send the Key to you and i Can't do that myself,cos i am presently receiving my hearing treatments at the hospital and am going to have a surgery soon. I talk with my Care Taker to mail out the key for you, so you can start Cleaning my carpet for me. the care taker told me he cant mail out the Key to you Because, I own him $1800, he told me if i dont pay him First he cant send out the Key to you. So I will make the payment with my Credit Card for $2500. You will take $600 for Carpet Cleaning and send $1800 to my Care taker via western Union and $100 for Western union charges. Once the Care Taker receive the Funds it will Mail out the Key to you,so you can start Cleaning the Carpet. Looking forward to hear from you Soon

1.Full Name
2.your direct telephone number both home and cell.?
3.I will offer you $600 for the Carpet Cleaning . .

Here is my House Address: (He gives a major local street with address)
END paste

So I look up th house (appraisal district) and there was no house at the address he gave me. I can only assume he was going to look up my name and find my address - or my phone number on Google (my business number is on my site).

I think this guy saw some of my gear and wants to pay me a sneaky visit where he makes out like a bandit.

My response (paste) -
Hi Anthony,

I'm sorry there is no actual house I could find at that address in (city name removed). I could not find it to look up the approx building size or square footage. I asked my neighbor who is a police officer about the address and he could not find it. He would like to speak to you in order to find this address for their emergency response system...

If I could get your phone number for him to call you at I'd appreciate it. He's a good guy and just wants to get address info into their database for emergencies. He even taught me how to shoot at the shooting range & helped me with home security.

I've forwarded him a copy of your email for his records. We'll get to the carpet cleaning when we can figure out exactly what is up with the address.

Thanks,
-Christian
END

This was very creepy because I feel somebody is seriously wanting to burglarize my gear. This is not some Kenya sham to send $20. This was somebody using my city name, offering city addresses, and wanting my personal information / home address who got my email off my CC web site.

He'd be dumb to try it. I am seriously not lying that I have cameras on my home and am armed (and live in Texas - castle law). All gear is behind lock, key, and alarm.

Creepy times.

After 2 years in the biz, I've never had something like this. How would have you handled this

All comments appreciated.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
very old scam
stop responding

Get used to it.
The bigger you get and the more ads you put out there the more scam and sales phone calls and emails you will get.

Just the way it is.

vladimir

Apr 3, 2011
palmdale ca.
Real Name
Dennis azenon
Business Location
United States
Haha i been posting on craiglist and received one 2weeks ago and replied to them saying you have the wrong email saying about day care provider i told them i clean carpets they didn't care they continued to send me there info f - losers

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scam. They just want you to send them $1800. Notice the request for Western Union which can be sent out of the country and is hard to trace. Don't send money by Western Union - ever - unless you personally know who will collect it.

The credit card charge will be bogus, a lost or stolen or made up card number.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
My wife tried to burglarize my wallet while in Vegas. :D