Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
So we did a job today using spinergy pads, No issues Completed everything and returned early this morning to seal the empty home. Again no problems, Now hours later the client is saying there are spots on the floor like water marks...? The marks where not there before the sealer? Help? We used venom premium stone and grout sealer used very light coat.

danbrown20

Sep 10, 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
Real Name
Dan Brown
Did you see the sealer beading up or anything weird as you were applying? My guess is the sealer did not penetrate (likely because of an existing sealer) and dried on top leaving behind "water marks". I rarely seal travertine. They are better off saving their money to having us come and clean and/or polish on a more frequent basis.

Reactions: wandwizard

jbc71

Jun 21, 2013
Real Name
jeffrey charles
If it's from the sealer reapply sealer and wipe off affected area

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Can I use a white pad and buff off with low speed machine? It's effecting 500 sq feet

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Did you see the sealer beading up or anything weird as you were applying? My guess is the sealer did not penetrate (likely because of an existing sealer) and dried on top leaving behind "water marks". I rarely seal travertine. They are better off saving their money to having us come and clean and/or polish on a more frequent basis.
I agree it didn't penetrate

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
I warn every customer that I seal stone for that a white powder is a possibility before I apply it, and not to worry that I will buff it right off. I have only had to do it once.

Reactions: wandwizard

jmo

Dec 15, 2010
Az
www.xtremecleanaz.com
Real Name
Jeremy Ordonez
Business Location
United States
I would have used a high speed burnisher if you were going for a shine and if you left puddles of sealer that is why it has white water marks.

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
This is probably minerals that have been brought up to the surface by the moisture in the stone. It may have been sealed when it was not completely dry. THis is a common thing. You can simply buff with a damp rag and dry it to test. If it is sealer residue, use actetone to remove it. It will not hurt the stone and take the residue off fast.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
So we did a job today using spinergy pads, No issues Completed everything and returned early this morning to seal the empty home. Again no problems, Now hours later the client is saying there are spots on the floor like water marks...? The marks where not there before the sealer? Help? We used venom premium stone and grout sealer used very light coat.
Your mistake was using a water base sealer... Travertine and pretty much any stone should be impregnated... water base is well known for leaving a haze should you leave any behind on the surface... All excess must be completely removed before it drys... In my experience a buffer with white pad is not going to touch water base haze... you will need to run your polishing step whatever it was again or possibly reclean it with your spinner.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
The client said it came off easily on a test tile she messed with like white powder? I have a return scheduled for mid week and am concerned.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
The client said it came off easily on a test tile she messed with like white powder? I have a return scheduled for mid week and am concerned.
If it came off easy you got lucky.... some water base sealers do not come off easy...

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
"Like white powder" is not the water based sealer. It is minerals from water that evaporated out of the stone after you sealed. This is probably an easy fix. I doubt you have to polish again.

Regarding water based sealer. That is pretty much all I use now. Actually I use a concentrated sealer that I can mix with either water or denatured alcohol. Usually I mix it with water and I find it the easiest sealer to buff and remove residues that I have every used. I buy it 12 pints to a case (makes 12 gallons) in concentrate and it is a better value than any sealer on the market.

It's not the solvent that makes a sealer difficult to remove, it is the solid in the sealer. Silicones are ridiculously hard to remove whether in a solvent or water based sealer. Fluorpolymers are easier but some solvent based flouro-sealers can hard to buff off as well.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
"Like white powder" is not the water based sealer. It is minerals from water that evaporated out of the stone after you sealed. This is probably an easy fix. I doubt you have to polish again.

Regarding water based sealer. That is pretty much all I use now. Actually I use a concentrated sealer that I can mix with either water or denatured alcohol. Usually I mix it with water and I find it the easiest sealer to buff and remove residues that I have every used. I buy it 12 pints to a case (makes 12 gallons) in concentrate and it is a better value than any sealer on the market.

It's not the solvent that makes a sealer difficult to remove, it is the solid in the sealer. Silicones are ridiculously hard to remove whether in a solvent or water based sealer. Fluorpolymers are easier but some solvent based flouro-sealers can hard to buff off as well.
Which sealer are you using? I would like to get some.

I assume it's good for grout sealing as well.

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
Which sealer are you using? I would like to get some.

I assume it's good for grout sealing as well.
Hello Todd. The sealer I used is here: http://www.f-721.com/

It does work very well of grout. It is easy to roll through a grout wand and the residues buff with a microfiber cloth. I just used three cases to seal 9000 square feet of limestone. We mixed it a little stronger than normal (around 5:1), the repellency is terrific. I think the market is going to move towards concentrates because you can ship more for less. The company that makes f721 also makes a color enhancer that can be diluted up to 3:1 as well. It's pretty new but I have it on a bunch of projects with very good results. I see that being my color enhancer moving forward as we..

T

goodtobeclean

Feb 22, 2013
Real Name
Stephen McVay
I could use some advice on travertine as well. Working on an estimate for 1800 sqft of travertine cleaning and re sealing. Installed 2 years ago and is in pretty good shape. This will be my first time cleaning travertine. I have a brush pro , will it be safe with black brushes ? Also what pressure should have on my tile spinner? I will be sealing it with DuPont bullet proof sealer.

Thank you for any advice!
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1428011933.047063.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1428011961.512444.jpg