I love my rotovac 360 I .. why would I ever use a wand

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
What you're missing is the Rotovac doesn't get up as close to the edge of walls as a wand and it is slower than a wand.

They make this tool called an edger that does better than a wand and speed? Do your customers want fast or good? Does the wand get 1-2 hour dry time without killing your back and taking longer than the rotovac? And a wand certainly doesn't clean faster without sacrificing better .... again if you're using $100 wands I get it'd be scary wondering if it could justify the jump in $$ but if you're already buying $1500 ... the only time I could see using a wand would be on the soccer mom houses that aren't really dirty turn down the pressure real real low like 150 and make a single pass

Chris Henry

Jul 20, 2017
Real Name
Bucky Rogers
It sounds like you are looking for some negative reasons why there rotovac shouldn't be used over a wand.
1. Final appearance. A wand leaves the fibers groomed in a way that most customers find appealing. The rotovac leaves swirls that should be groomed out post cleaning.
2. Fiber damage. If you look on the CRI website, you won't find the rotovac on the list of approved deep cleaning methods. All the mechanical agitation puts a certain amount of wear of the fibers.
3. Electricity. In many cases such as rentals or apartments, power isn't available to run the rotovac.
4. Maintenance. The cost to replace parts on a wand vs the rotovac.
I will leave room for others to add a few more possible negatives of the the Rotovac 360i.
Of course fatigue level is the number one positive reason to using one.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
I had both the 360 and power wand a couple of years ago. I have to say that the tools really did do a great job! But I noticed the jobs were taking longer than usual and got so annoyed with the cords and having to find different plugs going room to room. Ended up selling both. I use a prochem titanium with groomer/crb when needed. I get great results in a timely fashion.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
That is incorrect. Although crb and wand is better than wanding alone. Not better than using a rotovac any stretch of the imagination.
There's no such thing as "incorrect" when it comes to opinions on which tools work better. Everyone has their own style, their own needs, and their own business model. What works great for Dude A doesn't work so hot for Dude B, but that doesn't make either of them wrong.

The purpose of this place is to share both knowledge and opinions. Don't forget the difference between the two. ;)

Reactions: Chris Henry

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
There's no such thing as "incorrect" when it comes to opinions on which tools work better. Everyone has their own style, their own needs, and their own business model. What works great for Dude A doesn't work so hot for Dude B, but that doesn't make either of them wrong.

The purpose of this place is to share both knowledge and opinions. Don't forget the difference between the two. ;)
You are correct. I own both pieces of equipment and they both have their place. When somebody gives me an "opinion" that a crb and wand clean better than a rotovac i will give my "opinion" when i say incorrect.

Not all jobs call for crb and not all call for rotovac. Both tools have drastically changed our industry for the better.

Reactions: awratchford

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Yeah how about the fact that you void the carpet warranty when you use one?

Only a hack would come into a client's home and ruin their carpet's warranty without even telling them.

I will stick to approved and manufacturer recommended carpet-cleaning methods.

Reactions: Ablecarpet1980

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
Yeah how about the fact that you void the carpet warranty when you use one?

Only a hack would come into a client's home and ruin their carpet's warranty without even telling them.

I will stick to approved and manufacturer recommended carpet-cleaning methods.
Lol drink that kool-aide. I have read many warranties never seen that one before. So now the rotovac voids warranties? I like both machines and will use both. Most warranties are void before we ever show up to clean. Not all. And if the clients are taking care of their carpets the way they should be to begin with no need for either. I use mine mostly for rat nasty rentals.

Reactions: Allied

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I'm just not getting why guys would buy $1800 wands when you can get a rotovac for that and save your back... I get it when it's the guys who use $100 wands it seems a lot harder to validate
How many homes does your company service a day and how large are the homes? This is a big factor in why wands vs rotary.

I started out all wand and portable doing only hospitals and big commercial buildings, then started residential with old rotovac power wand

Then eventually 360 and that's all I used for 5years every single job.

We run more powerful machines now with high heat and CRBs to pre scrub, I would never go back to a rotovac day to day now. Production rates are way too low.

Last edited:

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
That is incorrect. Although crb and wand is better than wanding alone. Not better than using a rotovac any stretch of the imagination.
Idk, I've personally done thousands of jobs with the 360 and I would very much doubt you could tell any difference from those jobs vs our process now CRB scrub then high flow high heat wand.

I think for a 360 to truly out clean that you would have to do such slow passes you would be adding hrs upon hrs to your work day

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
Idk, I've personally done thousands of jobs with the 360 and I would very much doubt you could tell any difference from those jobs vs our process now CRB scrub then high flow high heat wand.

I think for a 360 to truly out clean that you would have to do such slow passes you would be adding hrs upon hrs to your work day
Possibly. Sounds like you guys do good work.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
As far as wands hurting the back thing I could show a video of how I teach my guys to wand. It's honestly a good workout no back stress.

The arms hardly move, step in and step out. No weird bending over, no awkward reaching out, no twisting.

Your just rocking back and forth stepping in and stepping out. I watch random videos of cleaners on YouTube all the time and it hurts to watch lol

Reactions: awratchford

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States
There are not better or worse.
I have a Rotary; 3 Wands and a CRB
Some jobs require just a wand others: a combo CRB/Wand and other: a Rotary.

beside that, it is the: personal preference

With that being said, what is good for you (or you love it);
there will be people that agree with you and,
some other will Hated it and vice versa.

And it is the same on everything: Pre-Sprays, TM, Tools, Prices, Advertising, People, etc, etc.

Reactions: M4sT3R T3CH