SafeChoiceCleaning

Jun 3, 2017
here
www.truckmountforums.com
Real Name
toby
Business Location
United States
When I got my first steamer, I thought I would clean everything with it!
That wasn't the case, but if you took away my steamers I would be lost!

My first unit was a 110v model with 121psi and a boiler temp of 347 degrees.

My second purchase was a 220v model. I bought a $250.00 converter that uses two 110v circuits to make a 220v plug for my steamer.

The switch to 220v was a HUGE improvement! The 110v models lose pressure and heat over several minutes and you need to stop for a couple minutes to regain heat and psi. I decreased steaming labor hours by at least 40% with the 220v.

The Steamer has opened doors for me. I have several contracts that I got just because of the steamers. Examples:
Boys and Girls Club
Schools
Churches
Child counseling center
Restaurant restrooms

Using steamers hasn't sped up my cleaning that much, what its done is made me the cleanest cleaning company in town!

Most of my cleaning still involves cleaning solution and microfibers, but not until I have blown out all the cracks and crevices that brushes can't reach and at the same time killing all the bacteria and bugs. Yes bugs, I've blown out cockroaches from appliances and they don't survive the extreme heat.

An example of a job...

I have a Boys and Girls Club with 14 restrooms and 6 drinking fountains that I clean 5 days per week.
The main reason I got this job is because of the steamers. They couldn't find any other company offering them so I was the only bid they took.

The way we utilize the steamers in this setting is by blasting all of the touch-points and cracks/crevices.
Handles, railings, toilets, urinals, walls, sinks, faucets, etc...

This kills all of the bacteria and viruses while blowing out crud that brushes can't reach. After steaming we finish cleaning using traditional methods with cleaning solution and micro-fibers.

We also have a plunger attachment for the drains. Sealed over a drain the pressurized steam gets over 300 degrees unplugging the drain while killing everything including fruit flies.

Our 220v unit has extraction... We got rid of our brooms and mops :)
With a 1:10 vinegar/water mix in a pump up sprayer we saturate the floor, agitate if necessary with hand brush, and then with full steam we use a steamer head attachment that has 2 squeegees which creates super suction to extract the cleaning solution, along with all the debris we have from not sweeping. It sucks more debris than sweeping... and the floor is dry in minutes!

We then slowly steam the drinking fountains to kill and remove all the nasty's.

When the Club has a Flu outbreak, they pay us to come in and steam all the doorknobs and touch-points in the building.

We have restaurants that have us deep steam clean their restrooms twice a month. They say it makes it much easier to get their employees to keep them clean in between our visits.[/QUOTE]

SafeChoiceCleaning

Jun 3, 2017
here
www.truckmountforums.com
Real Name
toby
Business Location
United States
I have a question.....

When I have requests for a cleaning bid and they want me to use my steamers, how much more per hour would you add to the bid when figuring it?

The equipment is an additional $4000.00+ investment and definitely a specialty add-on.
It isn't a huge investment, but it still deserves an extra charge.

Reactions: Fords1090

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Great stuff. Do you have a link to brand steamer you recommend?

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
www.thecarpetsurgeons.com
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
I always had my charges that I calculated for the work I did. I also calculated my employees for an excellent wage and added profit onto it for the business. Basically everything got charged for.

Having said all of that, you also need to know what it cost you to work and what profit you need to make. You likely already do, so I would think you could look at it from two sides: One, charge your rates to make the profits you need and want; Two, if you feel you need more for this type of work, simply add on what charges you need and want. In my opinion, I could not pay for my own equipment and tools, I had to be sure I made enough from my work that my customers paid for whatever tools I had and any I needed.

I did a lot of specialty cleaning in very high end homes for a lot of years. I focused on Country Clubs and Gated Communities. I worked with the POA's of these and it was a great way to do it. I always felt I was charging a premium and I always tried to give a premium service. By doing so, I always felt I received a profitable return.

As one example, I did clean a lot of drapes and Chandeliers as well as light fixtures with beautiful prisms and the vapor steamer was key in these areas.

I am sure you will find a lot more to add to your services. One area residential really loved was cleaning the glass shower stalls. These were very easy and came out great.

Hopefully you will share a lot more with all of us.

SAA

Reactions: wandwizard

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I have a cheap homeowner style steamer that I got just to experiment with. I haven't found any business in my small community that will pay extra for the service e so I haven't invested yet. I like the machine you have. Good information to know. Thanks for filling us in.

Reactions: SafeChoiceCleaning

Sanipro

Aug 16, 2016
Real Name
Mario Gonzalez
I have two steamers . The first one was the vapor rhino. Great for small jobs . Cons is steam last twenty minutes then takes ten minutes to refill the boiler. The second one is the fordator steam machine . The engine and boiler is powered by Lamborghini from their heating division, runs on diesel and can be switched from dry or wet steam . The uses are endless . You can hook up vacuum clean upholstery as well. The vapor rhino runs around 1500 and the Fortador steamer runs around 7k
IMG_3286.jpg
afa01417c1a173dce515235e3ec44916.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ACP

SafeChoiceCleaning

Jun 3, 2017
here
www.truckmountforums.com
Real Name
toby
Business Location
United States
I have two steamers . The first one was the vapor rhino. Great for small jobs . Cons is steam last twenty minutes then takes ten minutes to refill the boiler. The second one is the fordator steam machine . The engine and boiler is powered by Lamborghini from their heating division, runs on diesel and can be switched from dry or wet steam . The uses are endless . You can hook up vacuum clean upholstery as well. The vapor rhino runs around 1500 and the Fortador steamer runs around 7k View attachment 73114
afa01417c1a173dce515235e3ec44916.jpg

I love the Fortador! Wet steam has so many uses that I can't offer with my smaller machines!

Cody G

May 8, 2018
Real Name
Cody Gibson
I first bought my Vapor Rhinos, both the 110 and the 220. The 220 allows continues use. I got 10% off for buying both. The 110 allows ease of plug in on some jobs. They are great for tile and grout in small areas but I quickly learned I needed a portable extractor for larger areas, I bought a Jaguar. The steamers are great for t&g walls and other type of wall surfaces and bathroom fictures.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Old thread resurrected. My dry vapor doesn’t get used much. But it’s a excellent tool. It’s nice telling clients honestly how we can clean many things without any chemicals.

rmoran

Jul 5, 2018
Real Name
Rafael Moran
I first bought my Vapor Rhinos, both the 110 and the 220. The 220 allows continues use. I got 10% off for buying both. The 110 allows ease of plug in on some jobs. They are great for tile and grout in small areas but I quickly learned I needed a portable extractor for larger areas, I bought a Jaguar. The steamers are great for t&g walls and other type of wall surfaces and bathroom fictures.
how is your jaguar working for you on the tile work and what attachment do you use with is and also what size jets