matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
These people watched me grow up, have been owning an office supply business for over 20 years next to my parents little gas station that they used to own. Long story short, I did a little water damage job for their daughter's house that was priced at $1400. When I found out that it was coming out of their wallet, instead of the insurance, I dropped it down to $600. When I brought the old and new invoice to dear mama, she looked at me insultingly and said "how could you charge us that much"?

Considering the fact that they own several rental houses and business buildings on top of their office business. They have the money for that bill I gave them.

I didn't know what to say, all I told her shockingly was, "I have a real expensive setup, I could have come there with a couple fans and a shop vac, if you wanted me to be cheaper".

What would you have said?

T

TheEyeball

I always say the same thing when people say I'm too cheap or too expensive: "It's all about perspective. Some people faint when I give them a price and others ask how I stay in business with rates so low. We purposely set our prices right in the middle to try to keep everybody happy. It's a fair price".

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I educated the husband and daughter, but dear mama wasn't there, and if I knew that she was gonna write the check, I would have made the effort to give her the cushion before I showed her the numbers.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I always say the same thing when people say I'm too cheap or too expensive: "It's all about perspective. Some people faint when I give them a price and others ask how I stay in business with rates so low. We purposely set our prices right in the middle to try to keep everybody happy. It's a fair price".

I'm in the same mind set that you are. I would have loved to collect that $1400 check from the insurance company, but when I found out that they were paying for it, I knew right away that my consience would be bothering me if I didn't lower the bill dramatically

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Not a lot! Who approved the set up? did you request the check for the deductible prior to commence or did they sign a
consent for you to do the job with an estimated price and the estimated time to dry explaining the complete process step by step?

I hope that they pay you in the end and next time no check, or signature no work; even if it's my family.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
The person who lived there approved the setup. there were no signatures, just handshakes because I knew that they would pay me and they did pay the $600 invoice that I gave them. They also knew what I would have charged the insurance company. That's why I am so insulted, and yes everything was explained. If they were just accuaintenses or strangers, signatures would definitely be included

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I bet she wouldn't have a problem spending 600 on a purse, 100 on her hair. But no, not a blue collar idiot..

Pinheads. Hand them the bill and say "this is cheap, try calling servPro"

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
The person who lived there approved the setup. there were no signatures, just handshakes because I knew that they would pay me and they did pay the $600 invoice that I gave them. They also knew what I would have charged the insurance company. That's why I am so insulted, and yes everything was explained. If they were just accuaintenses or strangers, signatures would definitely be included

miss understood your thread sorry

fred3655

Oct 2, 2011
Texas
Real Name
Luis Paulet
Business Location
United States
Just tell them the truth. Tell them there is a lot of overhead in dealing with insurance companies. You could be waiting a while to see your money, and even then, they often don't pay more than a certain amount. Something along those lines. Then tell her you're doing a favor and just charging for your costs because she's a friend of the family or whatever.

Next time I'd ask first whether it was going to be covered by insurance or what, and even then I wouldn't lower it too dramatically or you'll give a bad impression.

tom patnode

Premium VIP
Jun 8, 2008
San Diego
renaissance-carpet.com
Real Name
Tom Patnode
"I have a real expensive setup, I could have come there with a couple fans and a shop vac, if you wanted me to be cheaper". that sounds a bit insultive. Just explain flood service work is higher than most people expect and you cut over half off the price, since she was a friend. I honestly was figuring you would come down to $1000 as I read the post.
Can I ask what equipment was used on job and how many visits?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
my amtex inferno, drizair 120, and 3 blowers for 3 days and one extra day in their basement with my dehu, and one blower with the normal steps to treat water damage: water extraction, removal of pad, dry time, carpet cleaning whole house, etc.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
"I have a real expensive setup, I could have come there with a couple fans and a shop vac, if you wanted me to be cheaper". that sounds a bit insultive. Just explain flood service work is higher than most people expect and you cut over half off the price, since she was a friend. I honestly was figuring you would come down to $1000 as I read the post.
Can I ask what equipment was used on job and how many visits?

4 fans and a couple of shop vacs. :)

Restoration Marketer

Member Support @ More Floods
Premium VIP
Jul 13, 2011
More Floods, Inc.
www.MoreFloods.com
Real Name
Chris Perry
Business Location
United States
I thought they were friends, so I pretty much charged them at cost, that's why I took so much off.

That's close to a perfect response. Telling her that you're literally charging them your direct costs, absorbing the indirect costs and making $0 profit (actually coming out in the negative), simply because of your relationship is completely different than the "a couple of fans and a ShopVac" response.

It's not what you say...it's how you say it.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
One issue with the WDR is the lack of understanding when it comes to pricing since many go years or lifetimes without ever being in contact with a flood. And when a flood does occur, sometimes its covered by the insurance company.

People know what a dinner out cost, a new car, kitchen appliances, but no one really knows what a WDR cost. This old bird most likely though it would be slightly higher then carpet cleaning.

Also your deing with a female, they are just wacked