I Have the new Mytee portable, I’m having shut off issues ( foam ) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

I Have the new Mytee portable, I’m having shut off issues ( foam )

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I have the newest 1005. It has the stage 3 new vac motors. It will trip the gfi. When I reset it it will constantly trip as soon as I plug the cord in. I’m thinking foam is getting in the vac and causing a short. I also have the Mytee booster that has the same two vac stage 3 vac motors and I’m not have an issue with that unit. Using the same psi and prespray.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I have the newest 1005. It has the stage 3 new vac motors. It will trip the gfi. When I reset it it will constantly trip as soon as I plug the cord in. I’m thinking foam is getting in the vac and causing a short. I also have the Mytee booster that has the same two vac stage 3 vac motors and I’m not have an issue with that unit. Using the same psi and prespray.
I'm positive that foam is not the culprit in your case. Check for loose wires first. I would go along with @Jim Davisson approach, somehow ground wire is always an orphan, meaning they're always mounted to a motor with a sheet metal screw , but motor produces lot of vibration. If black and white wires are connected via quick connectors, sometimes you have to gently press them together with a pliers to make a better hold. I'm pretty sure that new Speedster doesn't have a hanging pigtails, but a recessed receptacles for twist lock plugs. Any of these can cause problems if there's a water present. Also, check both electric cords if there isn't a bump along the way signaling that wires inside might be broken. The last resort would be to get multimeter and check if you're getting the juice to your motors without any obstruction ( bent, broken, rusty wires) I would ask electrician to do it for you. Let us know, how the hunt went...

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the recommendations. This unit is new. Maybe 20 hours of use.i bought it new. From steambrite.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the recommendations. This unit is new. Maybe 20 hours of use.i bought it new. From steambrite.
Than talk to Donald. There might be something we didn't think of...
Process of elimination might take detour(repair shop) After all , portable is under warranty, use it.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
What model extract do you have? GFI will not work as they are limited to 15 amps. You should use 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Reactions: Ymetimme

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I have 1005LX. I plug into the bathroom outlet. That is the outlet that trips. My air hog with the same motor doesn’t do this. What do you think JL ?

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I have 1005LX. I plug into the bathroom outlet. That is the outlet that trips. My air hog with the same motor doesn’t do this. What do you think JL ?
Okay with GFI and gfci outlets in bathrooms they're designed to keep you from being electrocuted. Not just for the sole purpose of overload.

So if there is a source of water on the end of your plug or even on the outside of the cord a cut in the cord are moisture anywhere around it I have seen them trip.

I've even had a super cold day where the machine came in from outside and condensation cause within the machine cause the GFCI to trip which are more sensitive than a GFI

Also a standard bathroom GFI/ gfci are only rated for 15 amps. It is common have them trip if they are older or if they have carbon tracing build-up on the inside

After all even a standard hair dryer to make those things pop.

I also noticed that it pops as soon as you plug it in which means dead fault to ground.
Or It could be a break in the cord or moisture detected

Is it the same side as the pump? Draws 17 amps?

Did did it pop a standard breaker as well?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If tool needs to be plugged into a 20a circuit because 15 a just will not work. Then its time to change the cord ends on equipment to 20a think? Being equipment cannot run on 15a circuits at all. That will eliminate folks from plugging into 15a circuits all together.
But this will piss some guys off lol.

Trouble shoot whats triggering the gfci. Ide try another one just to rule out if the fault is the outlet itself. If it still trips you gotta leak somewhere. Trace it. Loose wiring, wet wiring, rubbed or burned through insulation, bad cord, one thin strand of wire hanging out of a connector finding ground...
12-00227B.500.jpg

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Try plugging into a non GFI outlet in the kitchen. Most the kitchen outlets should be 20A. I've had problems running equipment off GFI outlets in bathrooms, enough that I don't even try them anymore. After than I'd be looking for a loose wire or something exposed. Also might try as a quick check, a different power cord.