I hate cleaning Tile with MDF baseboard | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

I hate cleaning Tile with MDF baseboard

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I did a tile cleaning job today, in a decent house, but all of the Trim and even cabinet toe-kicks were super crappy MDF. I have cleaned around MDF a million times, and only swelled a few areas. But today, even with applying a small amount of solution, with just a pump sprayer, it seriously swelled basically near every single grout line!! Unreal. I showed them one area today, although I bet it all looked worse after I left. I'm thinking of just giving them a call tomorrow and ask how it all looks. Might have to replace it for them. I think I am going to write up a waiver for MDF board for all future tile cleaning jobs. Has anyone ruined a bunch of baseboard before?

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Simple. See it more often than not.
Always use splash guard on scrubber and gekko edger.
....and I'm using lye and stripper on each tile job
Not that simple. Ive done a ton of jobs with MDF and its always been fine for the most part. This stuff must have been the worst quality. Because i barely sprayed any on. And it bubblee up where each grout line was scrubbed. That little of water did it. Just from where i scrubbed the edge grout with a hand brush. I'm pretty sure your method wouldve ruined it as well.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
What if one were caulk up all the cracks prior to cleaning so water would not seep into the molding?
Sell them a needed caulk job or sign a waiver?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I did a tile cleaning job today, in a decent house, but all of the Trim and even cabinet toe-kicks were super crappy MDF. I have cleaned around MDF a million times, and only swelled a few areas. But today, even with applying a small amount of solution, with just a pump sprayer, it seriously swelled basically near every single grout line!! Unreal. I showed them one area today, although I bet it all looked worse after I left. I'm thinking of just giving them a call tomorrow and ask how it all looks. Might have to replace it for them. I think I am going to write up a waiver for MDF board for all future tile cleaning jobs. Has anyone ruined a bunch of baseboard before?
Just before Covid hit, I did water extraction in newly opened bar. Wet, painted mdf all over the place was crumbling before my very eyes. It's been sitting in the water for a while. So yes, anytime I slightly touched the baseboard with wand, it left marks.
In such cases( water damages) I recommend to replace baseboard anyway, but it wouldn't hurt to have waiver ready for other non water damages related scenarios.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
If a cleaner had me sign such a waiver, I would swerve them doing that part of the work.

I believe there's an intelligent strategy to preventing MDF to swell.

I'd rather employ a better cleaning strategy than taking the risk and bring them up to speed about the risks.

I regularly make $500 an hour doing tile with my strategy while employing precautions not to damage baseboard or other surrounding material.

The splash guard it particularly useful with acid around stainless steel
I think a waiver is the only way to go. Like i said, nothing wassplashing around. This was just tiny amounts of acid seeping behind baseboard via grout.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
So far Ive avoided issues by using a lot of blue painters tape to mask the base boards close to floor

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Pour center of room and flat mop around. Tell your customers grout lines if they are right on the baseboards won't be cleaned if its MDF, they usually are never dirty anyways.

You don't need puddles of tile chem, just get the mop damp and work it around starting from furthest point back towards the front, then clean in from front to back so you don't get slurry on your hoses

Reactions: LeeRoy and sbsscn

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
You guys have a lot of strange issues, I've never encountered this during tile cleaning =)

Reactions: sbsscn

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Maybe its just my region doesnt popularize MDF baseboard or something

Dadio

May 14, 2020
Real Name
Mark
Maybe its God telling you you don't get down on your knees enough?

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Just an update. The customer called me very upset yesterday, about a week after the job. She left a voicemail. I called her back and told her not to worry, that I would cover the cost of replacement. She was very happy with that. I just explained to her that I am a very conscientious cleaner, and that after doing thousands of jobs, I have only had these baseboards do this in a few spots a couple times, and never nearly as bad as at her house. Going to cost me a few hundred I'm sure, but hopefully it will save me from getting a bad name. Like I have said before, this was not me being super sloppy, this was just me doing a typical pump up spray, and agitate with a grout brush. then extract with spinner, wipe up edge. No spinner tilting either. Some of this MDF board is just PURE GARBAGE.