I got my first tile job......help..lol

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
REREAD what he posted!!! He said, they knew what it was and would not tell him until the job was done!!!
That is CHICKEN SHIT!!!! No ifs about it. Then he said....they mysteriously found out what it was AFTER he finished.
So I know now. If it dont come up in the time I allot to remove it, it's a extra.
People put that in contracts all the time. Including me.

GL with that. contractor ought to be able too give pretty accurate parameters unless its something completely unseen in construction.

but as cleaning professionals how often do we actually know what each spot is exactly or what specific grout seal was used? we dont.

he inspected it and he misjudged the floor

he owned it and handled it professionally.

go have fun changing price mid jobs see how far that gets you.

we have clauses for construction and running into issues that are completely unseen buried in walls and subfloors but not so much with cleaning and restoration

Reactions: Clean-n-mean

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
So what are u gonna do with your tile job??
I have not got the job yet. Not sure I want it. I am not going to hand scrape all that crap up for nothing.
And I know you guys have wayyyyy more experience then me. I have very little.
When she calls me to come look, inwill test as you said to do and report back to you guys.
In the meantime, I have watched about 20 videos on it and heard alot of horror stories...

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
So did they take advantage of him???? Maybe...

Probably....and he thinks probably too...its obvious! To ME anyways!!!

regardless of what they didn't tell him. if you're working on a floor you should know upon inspection how too get it clean.

why do you think we use products in conjunction with blades, chems and equipment

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I have not got the job yet. Not sure I want it. I am not going to hand scrape all that crap up for nothing.
And I know you guys have wayyyyy more experience then me. I have very little.
When she calls me to come look, inwill test as you said to do and report back to you guys.
In the meantime, I have watched about 20 videos on it and heard alot of horror stories...
Understand not all tile is like this...
Most just stick with ceramic tile...
And that's what's in most homes

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
GL with that. contractor ought to be able too give pretty accurate parameters unless its something completely unseen in construction.

but as cleaning professionals how often do we actually know what each spot is exactly or what specific grout seal was used? we dont.

he inspected it and he misjudged the floor

he owned it and handled it professionally.

go have fun changing price mid jobs see how far that gets you.

we have clauses for construction and running into issues that are completely unseen buried in walls and subfloors but not so much with cleaning and restoration
Mike, no disrespect to you at all. I dont have the experience you do.
But it just sounded like to me anyways, that they knew about it and hid it from him. No way hes not pist about it either.
Maybe it's his fault, but st the same time they withheld information from him it sounds like to me.
And I just dont think that's right....

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Understand not all tile is like this...
Most just stick with ceramic tile...
And that's what's in most homes
Thanks anderson. I was gonna ask if this is more a man made tile vs. Stone. But what the hell is saltillo tiles??? Its man made tiles out of natural clay material right?? With glaze on top and baked correct?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
there's good money. we're just trying too get you too see the reality that each of these floors are unique thats what makes them my favorite floor.
Mike, no disrespect to you at all. I dont have the experience you do.
But it just sounded like to me anyways, that they knew about it and hid it from him. No way hes not pist about it either.
Maybe it's his fault, but st the same time they withheld information from him it sounds like to me.
And I just dont think that's right....

its a moot point

what im saying is we should know by our inspection how too deal with a floor.

it makes it easier if the custy says this or that but what if there was a clear epoxy over that floor he would still be scrubbing.

i haven't come across that yet but ive thought about how awesome it would look since epoxies add so much depth

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
there's good money. we're just trying too get you too see the reality that each of these floors are unique thats what makes them my favorite floor.

its a moot point

what im saying is we should know by our inspection how too deal with a floor.

it makes it easier if the custy says this or that but what if there was a clear epoxy over that floor he would still be scrubbing.

i haven't come across that yet but ive thought about how awesome it would look since epoxies add so much depth
Mike,
Thank you for explaining man!! I got it. I will post a crap load of pics here for you guys first. Before I even give her a price.
Yep, its beautiful tile for sure. I would love to have it in my kitchen.
So are there only a few different sealers you can use and that's it??
Or can you seal it with any sealer you want???
I can see the risk here.....

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
The customer had just bought the house a few months prior so I know they didn't put whatever was on it down. They sent me the picture the next day and said they found that in a storage shed they was cleaning out.
It was a learning experience and one that I'll remember forever.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
The customer had just bought the house a few months prior so I know they didn't put whatever was on it down. They sent me the picture the next day and said they found that in a storage shed they was cleaning out.
It was a learning experience and one that I'll remember forever.
Well now you spill the beans....lol. ok I got it now. Well it is what it is. You did the right thing and finished the job....

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
If you price it right you probably won't get the job. I've only done one and it kicked my butt.
3 layers of finish with soil embedded between each layer.
Chunks of sealer came out like pieces of broken glass!
It took 3 days to strip, I estimated 1.
I finished the job, lost money and learned a lot.
After that I knew what to look for and priced accordingly. Never sold another one since...

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
If you price it right you probably won't get the job. I've only done one and it kicked my butt.
3 layers of finish with soil embedded between each layer.
Chunks of sealer came out like pieces of broken glass!
It took 3 days to strip, I estimated 1.
I finished the job, lost money and learned a lot.
After that I knew what to look for and priced accordingly. Never sold another one since...
Did you use a gel stripper on it Pete when you did it??? Man you guys are talking me out of this job. Sounds like a losing battle.
So you bid it dam high, if you dont get it oh well. Let some other guy do it for peanuts.
And inhave watched alot of different things in video. But you go and do it, and it's nothing like they said it would be....

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Sorry to hear that! That sucks. Those are learning experiences for sure. And how can you bid something like that!! Hard to bid for sure.
No way to use a machine to remove the sealer without damaging the tile??

look at the pics Mike posted, that is not coming off with any stripper known to man. There was a guy a while back on here who posted a start to finish restoration on saltillo.. full scraping, then more stripping, then cleaning grout lines, color sealing grout lines white, re glazing. Huge job.

just pass on that job man, its not worth it for you having no experience and its not worth it for her to pay that much $ to someone with no experience.

youll have some regular tile/grout jobs around the corner in no time im sure.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
@Clean-n-mean here ya go, I found the thread... this guy knows what hes doing. Really nice restoration. https://www.truckmountforums.com/th...w-will-you-approach-this.126000/#post-1696162

customer has to REALLY like the floor though, they can replace with something else for cheaper than restoring old

"That is why you need to manually remove the coats before striping, if you star striping it with all that junk on top than you will be fighting to remove it and in the process you will dissolve the Saltillo, Saltillo tile is a Mexican clay tile. This clay is only found in one part of the world and that is in Saltillo Coahuila Mexico. Terra Cotta is also clay tile. In Italian, the term "terra cotta" means "baked earth". Thus, saltillo clay tile is a type of terra cotta tile. It is fired/baked in a kiln. There are many other types of terra cotta as well but Saltillo clay tiles are of the most durable floor tiles and mexican pavers around. "

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeGaure

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
@Clean-n-mean here ya go, I found the thread... this guy knows what hes doing. Really nice restoration. https://www.truckmountforums.com/th...w-will-you-approach-this.126000/#post-1696162

customer has to REALLY like the floor though, they can replace with something else for cheaper than restoring old

"That is why you need to manually remove the coats before striping, if you star striping it with all that junk on top than you will be fighting to remove it and in the process you will dissolve the Saltillo, Saltillo tile is a Mexican clay tile. This clay is only found in one part of the world and that is in Saltillo Coahuila Mexico. Terra Cotta is also clay tile. In Italian, the term "terra cotta" means "baked earth". Thus, saltillo clay tile is a type of terra cotta tile. It is fired/baked in a kiln. There are many other types of terra cotta as well but Saltillo clay tiles are of the most durable floor tiles and mexican pavers around. "
Great info ACP!! Yep you are correct. It's probably not fair to either one of us for sure.
That's great info on the tile and where it comes from. I would love to have that tile in my kitchen. It's really nice looking.
But man sounds like you really have to take care of it and know what the hell your doing!
Thank you man!!

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike

i remember that guy hes good

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
My fist experience with clay tile.

I did these Mexican Quarry Tile. Hand sanded each individual tile then recoated. I used no stripper. It was around 100 sq.ft. it took me all day on my hands and knees. I did it for $500.
The reason i chose to hand sand is that It was a very tight space and didn't want to splash stripper all over the cabinets and it was very tight for a big CRB to be in there scrubbing. I left the grout lines alone and just did the tile. Another reason for hand sanding was low dust. It was an open kitchen to the rest of the house.
20181129_163316.jpg
IMG_20181130_094912_277.jpg