I got my first tile job......help..lol | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

I got my first tile job......help..lol

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
We had a Saltillo job from hell recently. Looked like a piece of cake and I priced it out for a 2 day job. Took 6 days with me and my son, the whole time they had no idea what was applied before and it was kicking our a$$. Somehow the day after we finished it they knew what it was and sent me a picture of it. I'm sure they knew the whole time but I did a lousy inspection and have myself to blame.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
We had a Saltillo job from hell recently. Looked like a piece of cake and I priced it out for a 2 day job. Took 6 days with me and my son, the whole time they had no idea what was applied before and it was kicking our a$$. Somehow the day after we finished it they knew what it was and sent me a picture of it. I'm sure they knew the whole time but I did a lousy inspection and have myself to blame.
So.......what was it??? Your referring to the sealer that was on the tile?? How did you remove it?
Sorry to hear that. Many people think just because you own your own business you ALWAYS make money......

NOT TRUE!!!

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
backs up what i said about 100+ hours for 1 person......

however some people will pay for this service!!!!

how many sq. feet and how much did you charge per foot??????

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
was easier than a house too normally. it was a hotel

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
you earn every penny on these type jobs!!!!

like anything else you can learn to cut your man hours in half over time...and do pretty well on these jobs.....

i have learned to cut my man hours in half on theaters....
over the years
but they are still hard labor hours...!!!!

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
you earn every penny on these type jobs!!!!

like anything else you can learn to cut your man hours in half over time...and do pretty well on these jobs.....

i have learned to cut my man hours in half on theaters....
over the years
but they are still hard labor hours...!!!!

yes saltillo is definitely work each one is different and if you dont know the floor you cant accurately set proper expectations

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
So.......what was it??? Your referring to the sealer that was on the tile?? How did you remove it?
Sorry to hear that. Many people think just because you own your own business you ALWAYS make money......

NOT TRUE!!!

We ended up using some sort of a citrus gel from Home Depot, scrappers and a whole lot of razor blades. I paid my son his hours and bought all the supplies but still lost money on it and didn't pay myself.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
View attachment 83348
We ended up using some sort of a citrus gel from Home Depot, scrappers and a whole lot of razor blades. I paid my son his hours and bought all the supplies but still lost money on it and didn't pay myself.
Sorry to hear that! That sucks. Those are learning experiences for sure. And how can you bid something like that!! Hard to bid for sure.
No way to use a machine to remove the sealer without damaging the tile??

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Sorry to hear that! That sucks. Those are learning experiences for sure. And how can you bid something like that!! Hard to bid for sure.
No way to use a machine to remove the sealer without damaging the tile??
I knew there was a sealer on it and priced it to strip it. Problem was the sealer wasn't coming off like it should of.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
It says alot about your I integrity that you finished it too!

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
They should have stepped up and paid you extra. That is in my opinion...chicken shit!!! Or as President Trump would say Bullshit!!

so because someone can't accurately determine the cost of doing a job the custy should step up and just pay more? thats retarded.

a good business person doesn't change a quote mid service.

not insinuating Jason did i dont think he would even ask.

its like any service we offer. if you know it well you wont see many of these errors.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
so because someone can't accurately determine the cost of doing a job the custy should step up and just pay more? thats retarded.

its like any service we offer. if you know it well you wont see many of these errors.
I didn't attempt to change the price but once I realized what we was dealing with I explained to the customer it would take a lot longer.
Unfortunately when I did the estimate I saw areas that sealer came off from tape when contractors put plastic. It looked like an easy strip but there was multiple layers under what the tape took off that I misses.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora

REREAD what he posted!!! He said, they knew what it was and would not tell him until the job was done!!!
That is CHICKEN SHIT!!!! No ifs about it. Then he said....they mysteriously found out what it was AFTER he finished.
So I know now. If it dont come up in the time I allot to remove it, it's a extra.
People put that in contracts all the time. Including me.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I didn't attempt to change the price but once I realized what we was dealing with I explained to the customer it would take a lot longer.
Unfortunately when I did the estimate I saw areas that sealer came off from tape when contractors put plastic. It looked like an easy strip but there was multiple layers under what the tape took off that I misses.

that's exactly how i would've handled it and knew you would've handled it the same way.

yea tape will pull a lot of finishes up that doesn't indicate how easily but think you figured that out

Reactions: Clean-n-mean

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
So did they take advantage of him???? Maybe...

Probably....and he thinks probably too...its obvious! To ME anyways!!!