I feel like I may be getting set-up for a scam (long read)

Mr. Mac

Dec 17, 2014
Real Name
Dominic McIntosh
Business Location
United States
I own a cleaning company here in metro Atlanta and the other day I received a message from someone via a lead generating web-site I use. This site has been a bust for me since I joined several months ago, but the other day I suddenly got a message from a lady there looking to hire us.

I sent out my usual greeting / response and ask for details (keyword) about the home.

She responds (I removed their names in case this is legit):

> Good Day,
> Thanks for your response regarding the house keeping job. My name is [REDACTED] and my Husband's name is [REDACTED].I am 4 months pregnant and this is our first child.We are from Nevada. We are relocating to your area and we`ll be staying there for a period of 17 months .My Husband is a Contractor and got some project there to execute so within the period of our stay we need someone who can help in cleaning our house three times per week and this will be at your free time because this is a PART TIME JOB.I will be offering you $350 per week and we will be needing your services for 2-3 hours at any suitable time of yours three times in a week Probably Tuesdays,Thursdays and Saturdays or Sundays i hope 2-3 hours is enough to clean a 3 bedroom apartment which is one master bedroom and two standard size rooms, with one Living Room ,a kitchen and our yard. I believe you are fit for this position in as much you will prove yourself to be a reliable and hard working person,We expect you to start working soon, While we will be arriving on 31st of August. You will help us to clean the house few days before our arrival date,I will tell the estate agent to mail the keys of the house to you so that you can be able to clean it before our arrival. I will provide all equipment that you will need to use, So if there's any kindly let me know what you will be needing to work for us. His duration for the contract job is 17 months so that means we will need your services for that time.He will be sending you upfront payment to secure you for the work and also give us full assurance that you won’t disappoint us and i want to make sure that we make proper arrangement upon our arrival,so we want to make sure we get you secured prior to our arrival to your area. He will instruct his business associate to issue out a check to you once i get the total cost of equipments needed to work in our apartment for 17 months from you. So kindly e- mail me with list and cost of equipments needed and also with your information requested below to have the check sent to.
>
> Name to be on Check :
> Address :
> City :
> State :
> Zip code :
> your direct telephone number both home and cell.?
> Age :
>
Regards.
>
> [REDACTED]
>
> You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace . . .
> Isaiah 55:12

That's all well and good and we are more than happy to assist. I respond, again asking for more details on the job and home. I also encourage her to have her real estate agent contact me directly (via phone) so we can hash out the details.

Today I got this message:

> We really appreciate you for getting back to us and thanks for considering my beloved family, i got your details correctly and i know you must be a energetic and sociable person and i really appreciate your decency, i can see that you have all it takes to work for us and hope we can count on you?I will be sending you a check which you can cash instantly or deposit at your bank.The payment will be mailed out to you early next week and hopefully it will arrive at your address on or before Wednesday next week via a courier service USPS preferably.I want you to deduct down payment for the first week upfront charges and the rest will be for my furniture shipment.I want you to help me handle this because I wont be around by the time of my furniture delivery.However,i have instructed business associate to issue the down payment for your first week payment in advance on my behalf and i will need your assistance here, as i have instructed him to include an extra funds for our furniture and property shipment with the payment that will be sent to you because the furniture company only accept cash payment and you will help me send my furniture shipment fee as soon as you receive the payment and after you might have deducted your down payment for the first week charges...Please they'll have to book an appointment with you for the delivery.You'll have to do a Favor for my family by inspecting and monitoring the delivery of my furniture on a specific date and time agreed by you and the delivery man of the furniture.
>

> Note: you will not be responsible for any liability whether anything is damaged because the furniture company are very reliable and competent and they will handle everything with care so you don't have any problem at all.I am offering you $50 as help and compensation for your effort which you will deduct after receiving my payment.I will be more than glad if you could help me with this, My family are more than eager to meeting with you real soon.Is this the right address to send the payment?
>
> [REDACTED]
>
> I will be looking forward to hear from you.

Does this feel a little off to any of you? She has all of my contact info, but the only contact info of her's I have is a gmail address. Something just feels a bit off about the whole thing.

Mr. Mac

Dec 17, 2014
Real Name
Dominic McIntosh
Business Location
United States
lol. Yeah it wasn't until that last e-mail talking about the furniture that bells started to ring in my head. I think I was just blinded by the fact I finally got hit off of that site.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
It's a scam. You will deposit the check and withdraw the cash to send to this supposed mover and then the check will come back as a bad check and you will be out the cash.

Still want to try it out? Have her pay the furniture mover directly when they pick up the furniture from where she is living now. (there is no furniture). And then don't accept any payments for your service until after the service is performed.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
P.S. - There is an area rug scam going around as well where they are supposedly moving to your town and want to ship you 17 rugs to clean and deliver to their new home. They want to send you a check you cash to then pay the shipper as well.

This scam you posted is just a new spin off the area rug scam.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
The first few lines of the email tells you it is a scam. English that is used in a way that we don't normally use it. Misuse of words, poor grammar and other clues in just the flow of the text. Then they offer some outrageous sum of money that makes you go, "Wowser, that could put me on easy street!" When, in fact, it will do nothing but involve you in a scam. Run like the dickens!

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
What do you mean the language was strange... Are you saying @Johnny Bravo and @Prosteam-sonomacounty and @Omar have bad lanugagey tooy...
There is a difference between bad American grammar and bad grammar and usage by a scammer. No offense meant to Vito, but even when he writes something you can tell that he has some knowledge of how we say things. I am saying that if you take the bad grammar and couple it with the offer of an outrageous payday, then you can see that it is a scam. It has all the earmarks of a scam. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck.....well, it is probably a duck.

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Hello good sir of the original poster of this thread. I can see you are a good and just man because you read all my blithering email and bible versus. May your cup runneth over with the frothy golden eggnog of a golden goose. My family is so over joyed with your kindness and we see you can be trusted with our most dear and valuable textiles. In return we know you will gleefully trust my family, that has been through so many hardships, with your very private account and ABA routing numbers.

God bless you and may the tears of God's love fall into your mouth.

You friend from Nigeria,

Habib.

Dude! It's a total scam!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Mac

Dec 17, 2014
Real Name
Dominic McIntosh
Business Location
United States
lol. So in the course of making this thread I received yet another e-mail, but from a total different address and couple.

Good Day,
Thanks for your response regarding the house keeping job,Sorry for getting back to you this late.I have been busy with rounding up with work, My name is Louis Anderson my Wife's name is Suzan Anderson.She is 4 months pregnant and this is our first child.We are from Beverly Hills California. We are relocating to your city and we`ll be staying there for a period of 17 months .I am a Contractor and got some project there to execute so within the period of our stay we need someone who can help in cleaning our house three times per week and this will be at your free time because this is a PART TIME JOB.I will be offering you $300 per week and we will be needing your services for 2-3 hours at any suitable time of yours three times in a week Probably Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays or Sundays i hope 2-3 hours is enough to clean a 3 bedroom apartment which is one master bedroom and two standard size rooms, with one Living Room ,a kitchen and our yard. I believe you are fit for this position in as much you will prove yourself to be a reliable and hard working person,We expect you to start work second week of next month, While we will be arriving on 10thth of September. You will help us to clean the house few days before our arrival date,I will tell the estate agent to mail the keys of the house to you so that you can be able to clean it before our arrival. I will provide all equipment that you will need to use, So if there's any kindly let me know what you will be needing to work for us. My duration for the contract job is 17 months so that means we will need your services for that time.I will be sending you upfront payment to secure you for the work and also give us full assurance that you won’t disappoint us and i want to make sure that we make proper arrangement upon our arrival,so we want to make sure we get you secured prior to our arrival to your area.I will instruct his business associate to issue out a check to you once i get the total cost of equipment needed to work in our apartment for 17 months from you. So kindly e- mail me with list and cost of equipment needed and also with your information requested below to have the check sent to.

Name to be on Check :
Address :
City :
State :
Zip code :
your direct telephone number both home and cell.?

Regards.
Mr/Mrs Anderson
You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace . . .
Isaiah 55:12

Reactions: Nomad74

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
lol. So in the course of making this thread I received yet another e-mail, but from a total different address and couple.

Good Day,
Thanks for your response regarding the house keeping job,Sorry for getting back to you this late.I have been busy with rounding up with work, My name is Louis Anderson my Wife's name is Suzan Anderson.She is 4 months pregnant and this is our first child.We are from Beverly Hills California. We are relocating to your city and we`ll be staying there for a period of 17 months .I am a Contractor and got some project there to execute so within the period of our stay we need someone who can help in cleaning our house three times per week and this will be at your free time because this is a PART TIME JOB.I will be offering you $300 per week and we will be needing your services for 2-3 hours at any suitable time of yours three times in a week Probably Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays or Sundays i hope 2-3 hours is enough to clean a 3 bedroom apartment which is one master bedroom and two standard size rooms, with one Living Room ,a kitchen and our yard. I believe you are fit for this position in as much you will prove yourself to be a reliable and hard working person,We expect you to start work second week of next month, While we will be arriving on 10thth of September. You will help us to clean the house few days before our arrival date,I will tell the estate agent to mail the keys of the house to you so that you can be able to clean it before our arrival. I will provide all equipment that you will need to use, So if there's any kindly let me know what you will be needing to work for us. My duration for the contract job is 17 months so that means we will need your services for that time.I will be sending you upfront payment to secure you for the work and also give us full assurance that you won’t disappoint us and i want to make sure that we make proper arrangement upon our arrival,so we want to make sure we get you secured prior to our arrival to your area.I will instruct his business associate to issue out a check to you once i get the total cost of equipment needed to work in our apartment for 17 months from you. So kindly e- mail me with list and cost of equipment needed and also with your information requested below to have the check sent to.

Name to be on Check :
Address :
City :
State :
Zip code :

Regards.
Mr/Mrs Anderson
HA, from Beverly Hills now instead of Nevada and the pay has gone down.

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States

Good Day,

Name to be on Check :
Address :
City :
State :
Zip code :

Regards.
Mr/Mrs Anderson
You must have a target on your back. I got a few of these myself. There is another older thread about it. Be careful and protect your ass....ets