I did my first suicide clean up last night | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

I did my first suicide clean up last night

0331grunt

Feb 3, 2011
OK
Real Name
Craig Osburn
Business Location
United States
For any one that responded to this post, check your mail. I'm sending you some real gross pics. Todd gets the grosses pic.

Can't wait to see some... we are having sloppy joes for dinner tonight!! :D

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
The actual blood and guts never super bothered me. (Even though they never made me hungry like gore does for SOME of you perverts!)

However, the crime scene cleanup we did that STILL bothers me 30 years later is this one. (It is the human agony of the survivors that tears at me. After all, if you are dead then you are "asleep" and not suffering.)

Steve

PS The "Kay Niggli" quoted in the article was our office manager. (And I just never had the heart to send a bill to the grieving parents of the two little girls for the work we did.)

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

C&DClean

Oct 26, 2015
Real Name
Sean Pagano
Bumping this forum with questions! What training is available for this? You must be certified through your state to perform these clean-ups, correct? Anyone do these that can give me an estimate of yearly average revenue compared to training costs?
Now for a story, retired police officer....we had a bad fatal accident, head-on Toyota vs Mack truck. Toyota was a pizza guy. Seems he veered while counting tip money. He was in decent shape until we tried to move him into the body bag. Then everything dropped out. I saw a few hardened veterans blanch in color considerably when that happened.
Worst part was a rookie went to get all of us something to eat (yes, most get hungry at these scenes). We were there for 8 hours or so. Anyway he comes back with this exciting tale of how he was bs'ing with the manager who got all quiet and gave him all the food for free.
The food you ask? 10 pizzas. The moron accidentally went to the victims pizza place and was describing how bad the accident was and how hungry we were. He found the contents of his locker soaked in detergent the next day! MORON......

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Bumping this forum with questions! What training is available for this? You must be certified through your state to perform these clean-ups, correct? Anyone do these that can give me an estimate of yearly average revenue compared to training costs?
Now for a story, retired police officer....we had a bad fatal accident, head-on Toyota vs Mack truck. Toyota was a pizza guy. Seems he veered while counting tip money. He was in decent shape until we tried to move him into the body bag. Then everything dropped out. I saw a few hardened veterans blanch in color considerably when that happened.
Worst part was a rookie went to get all of us something to eat (yes, most get hungry at these scenes). We were there for 8 hours or so. Anyway he comes back with this exciting tale of how he was bs'ing with the manager who got all quiet and gave him all the food for free.
The food you ask? 10 pizzas. The moron accidentally went to the victims pizza place and was describing how bad the accident was and how hungry we were. He found the contents of his locker soaked in detergent the next day! MORON......
Can't fix stupid.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
There are at least two major training organizations for this work. I can only think of one name right off the top of my head. American Bio-Recovery. They have office in Kansas City and I think also in Ohio. Don McNulty is the expert there. There training covers all type of bio-hazard scenes and trauma scenes.

I did this work for a few years and even taught one traiing class, but the legal / liability issues led me to decide against further involvement. It was a positive experience to be able to help someone in great need, but the stories could get weird at times.

C&DClean

Oct 26, 2015
Real Name
Sean Pagano
Can you go more in depth into legal/liability issues? Do you mean legality of the disposal of the waste product? And what kind of liability?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I did trauma scene work from 1991 to 2004. In the 1990s, no one was getting sued for doing the cleaning wrong. By early 2000's there were lawsuits by the people you cleaned for. Maybe someone in the building got sick, they immediately blamed it on some contamination left behind by the cleaner.

It was not a major profit center for my company. Rather something we did for grieving family and survivors to help them through. I did not ewant to get involved in possible law suits. People just seemed to be looking for anyone to blame that would make them rich.

C&DClean

Oct 26, 2015
Real Name
Sean Pagano
that sucks. Anyone have positives for this aspect of the cleaning industry? I know the tickets are big but with this kind of thing I'm not looking to get rich. I'am looking for consistent work that does generate profit. Scott, your saying it didn't generate the work (I understand the monetary point with the lawsuits and not wanting to get rich on grieving people)?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
that sucks. Anyone have positives for this aspect of the cleaning industry? I know the tickets are big but with this kind of thing I'm not looking to get rich. I'am looking for consistent work that does generate profit. Scott, your saying it didn't generate the work (I understand the monetary point with the lawsuits and not wanting to get rich on grieving people)?

My company served a large rural area, plenty of land, low population. I was the only trained provider of trauma scene clean-up for 30 to 50 miles around. So, there was plenty of work if I wanted to travel. But at that time the work was not necessarily big ticket jobs. I had more profitable work right in my local area.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
At least 10 yrs back I sent away for info from Sacramento and the packet said it was a VERY GREY AREA . No certificate was needed .

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
a VERY GREY AREA . No certificate was needed .

Still true in most places, but you should know what you are doing both so you can provide the proper service and to avoid any liability issues. I suggest training even if no certification is required.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Getting a person on a agreement to pay said costs during this kind of tragedy can be tough .

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
is Tron Rob Allen in disguise? he has all the business links

No that was Torrey...he was banished from the kingdom...well he kinda left...sorta...it's complicated

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
We just got done doing a decomp, guy was left in a apt for 2 weeks and was total human soup. I actually love the job, helps the decedents family and makes great money.