I can't take it anymore..............Agitation vs Heat

Nimblybimbly

Aug 10, 2017
Real Name
Nathan Paul
Robert86 is correct more vacuum=better water recovery
and
hot tap water at about 140 degrees will clean most any carpet just fine.

Just make sure you give your pre spray ample dwell time and use some form of mechanical agitation

This is how i've been cleaning for years........always got good results

However, hot tap water temp will vary from house to house, depends on how customer has hot water heater set, and if its an old hot water heater it's probably not getting as hot as it used to due to age even at the same setting on the heater

Also true is a portable with built in heater, due to power restrictions, there will be a compromise that compromise often is the vacuum.

So the ideal situation is you want a portable without a built in heater so you can have better/stronger vac motors for better water recovery which will give you better dry times and cleaner carpets as well

Now add to that a little giant heater and an inline vac booster and you have great heat with no needed extra electrical power for the heater anyway.

The vac booster will give you a 3rd cord, but if you run a generator for the portable this goes down to one cord for the booster only

leave the portable in the van and only sit the vac booster at the front door, you will however need a portable that has has auto fill and dump

you'll have good heat and suction
Robert86 is correct more vacuum=better water recovery
and
hot tap water at about 140 degrees will clean most any carpet just fine.

Just make sure you give your pre spray ample dwell time and use some form of mechanical agitation

This is how i've been cleaning for years........always got good results

However, hot tap water temp will vary from house to house, depends on how customer has hot water heater set, and if its an old hot water heater it's probably not getting as hot as it used to due to age even at the same setting on the heater

Also true is a portable with built in heater, due to power restrictions, there will be a compromise that compromise often is the vacuum.

So the ideal situation is you want a portable without a built in heater so you can have better/stronger vac motors for better water recovery which will give you better dry times and cleaner carpets as well

Now add to that a little giant heater and an inline vac booster and you have great heat with no needed extra electrical power for the heater anyway.

The vac booster will give you a 3rd cord, but if you run a generator for the portable this goes down to one cord for the booster only

leave the portable in the van and only sit the vac booster at the front door, you will however need a portable that has has auto fill and dump

you'll have good heat and suction
Did you ever use bucket heaters?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
HX will burn carpet easier than Kero heat because of spiking......
But that would depend on the brand of tm....

My north tool heater does spike a little when it first starts but hardly any after that...

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
it always is. you just spend a little more time with prep work. That rotovac video however carpet wasnt even pre vacuumed, just pre spray and extract. Hardcore dog oil wasnt going to ruin a vacuum on that crap. Old video just one I like lol
How does one know when they will ruin a vacuum? Or, what will ruin a vacuum? (What is dog oil?)

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
How does one know when they will ruin a vacuum? Or, what will ruin a vacuum? (What is dog oil?)
Im sure you never read the memo ! we all get the customers to vacuum the carpet... "" Maam, please make sure you vacuum the carpet really good because I shouldn't have to waste my time doing "womens Work"

That's how its done !!

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Im sure you never read the memo ! we all get the customers to vacuum the carpet... "" Maam, please make sure you vacuum the carpet really good because I shouldn't have to waste my time doing "womens Work"

That's how its done !!
I have classroom and zero real world carpet cleaning experience. I would suggest pre vacuuming every job.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Ha!!!! Scrubbing may be king, then hot waters the queen.
Wash you clothes in cold vs. Hot water......big difference.
Why not have both working for you?
I'm now pouring hot water into my tank, and using my 2000 watt edic heater. I bought a bucket heater too in case I need it. I now get steam with the hot tap water and my 2000 water heater.
How water is thinner and can penetrate better. Cold water is thicker therefore cannot loosen soils up as well....

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I'm now pouring hot water into my tank, and using my 2000 watt edic heater. I bought a bucket heater too in case I need it. I now get steam with the hot tap water and my 2000 water heater.
How water is thinner and can penetrate better. Cold water is thicker therefore cannot loosen soils up as well....
If you would put that bucket heater to work for you like I described, you would see a yuge difference for 1500w. Using the weight and thermal properties of water are pretty amazing.

If there is any MAGIC on this planet, I'm pretty sure it's contained in water.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Laundry machines agitate in hot water and rinse with cold just sayin ;)

Btw hot water on skin opens pores releasing dirt easier. Its why you never wash off fiberglass in anything but cold water lol trust me.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Laundry machines agitate in hot water and rinse with cold just sayin ;)

Btw hot water on skin opens pores releasing dirt easier. Its why you never wash off fiberglass in anything but cold water lol trust me.
With fiberglass in cold water only wash in one direction, away from you... Trust me!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I got that crap all over me today. Dont know what's worse mouse shit falling on me or fiberglass lol.
I think we could work well together, from an install, to cleaning, to home remodeling (I do once in a while get to work a chopsaw for a contractor friend still when he needs help). Variety keeps you sharp!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I think we could work well together, from an install, to cleaning, to home remodeling (I do once in a while get to work a chopsaw for a contractor friend still when he needs help). Variety keeps you sharp!
Im pulling ceiling grid and lights down on top floor of office building. They put fiberglass on top of tiles and its killing me. They are pulling asbetos floor up when im done. Then spray foaming cieling pan and leaving barjoists open for view. Only have a few walls in this one to do. Blue print looked like an open plan with partitions intead of rooms. But plans change in this place everytime someone farts.
Screenshot_20190321-002310_Gallery.jpg

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
If you would put that bucket heater to work for you like I described, you would see a yuge difference for 1500w. Using the weight and thermal properties of water are pretty amazing.

If there is any MAGIC on this planet, I'm pretty sure it's contained in water.
Jim will do for sure!!! Been really busy. But I will get to it!!! Maybe with that and my edic 2000 watt inline heater i will get even better!!
Yessir, water is quit amazing indeed. Im still amazed how fish live in SALT WATER. Just leave some metal laying around near salty air. It's quite corrosive!!!

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Ha!!! I'm laying 5/8 thick bamboo flooring in my own home right now!! Floating floor. Pretty sweet. Saving 5 grand paying to have it installed.
20190320_145345.jpg
20190320_092808.jpg

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I built an office 1 floor down. Dude wanted a big bay window in his conferance room. Lol i used a replacement sliding door panel the fixed non moving side about 125 bucks. I turned it sideways and trimmed it out. No one would ever know it was part of a slider lol. Shhhhh ;)
Screenshot_20190321-003234_Gallery.jpg

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Ha!!! I'm laying 5/8 thick bamboo flooring in my own home right now!! Floating floor. Pretty sweet. Saving 5 grand paying to have it installed.View attachment 83759View attachment 83760
Good job on you man. Do it to it. Youll feel good about it knowing you put it in yourself. I see a mistake not bad but i wont pick on you for it. And i wont point it out or it will eat at you lol.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Im pulling ceiling grid and lights down on top floor of office building. They put fiberglass on top of tiles and its killing me. They are pulling asbetos floor up when im done. Then spray foaming cieling pan and leaving barjoists open for view. Only have a few walls in this one to do. Blue print looked like an open plan with partitions intead of rooms. But plans change in this place everytime someone farts.View attachment 83758
Wear a mask. A lot of those ceiling tiles have asbestos in them too.