Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I can't stand that guy. He is a ripoff. He is unethical. Who am I talking about? If you've been around long enough you might remember Joe Polish. No one had more haters than Joe Polish, not even me lol. Who was he? He started a carpet cleaning business but quickly sold it and then went into selling marketing programs for carpet cleaners. Back in the earliest forum days with ICS and Cleanfax many could not stand him. Joe had 100's haters.

Yet with all his haters Joe over 350 cleaners who shelled out 1000 a month to be a platinum member. That was a staggering 350k a month! But on top of it he had 100's upon 100's of Gold, Silver and Bronze members. So you could basically say Joe cleaned up. Probably to the tune of about 1 million a month! So why all the hate?

In a nutshell, because Joe was wildly successful. Joe would take business's and help them raise their profits by 100,000+ a year. He did what other cleaners wished they could. This illicit'd a trememodous about of envy, wild stories and deep seated hate that manifested on the early ICS and Cleanfax boards. But wa sit justified? Did it slow Joe down?

For the most part, no, it was not justified. It usually came form those that accomplished the least. So Joe offered a 100% money back guarantee if he couldn't raise your business. Yes, he used "already existing marketing programs" and just put his name on it imo and experience. he just relabeled and tweaked existing programs. But he put that cleaners touch on it and it worked. Not for everyone, but for those that implemented it, it did. Was it psychosomatic? Maybe. Regardless it worked. Joe has since moved onto much bigger things. He is life coaching to the sums money that would make his carpet cleaning marketing money pale in comparison. Whats the moral of this story?

In such a small niche industry, if anyone rises out of the trenches and is wildly successful he or she they too will illicit their fair share of envy, wild stories and hate. Why? Because they we're unable or probably just unwilling to step out of their own comfort zone. They too could have built programs or filled the niche but it's easier to try and drag down the successful than summon up the energy to raise themselves up. Since Joe many have followed in his footsteps like Howard Partridge and a host of others now consult. Joe copied other industries but he also opened the door for many others. Those who coiped him should be thankful.

It reminds me of when I first started my business from nothing living in a poor neighborhood. As I grew my business I improved my home dramatically and bought nice cars. many of my neighbors thought it wasn't possible, gossiping that he must be selling drugs or doing something something. Yet I was just busy at the grindstone building my business. Over 35 years I built a solid million+ a year business while accumulating over 1000 5 star reviews across Google, Yelp, Facebook and review sites. The most in Eastern Virginia! What about since we started TMF?

TMF is growing by leaps and bounds. We have accumulated almost 10,000 5 star reviews over 10 years but the naysayers like my old neighbors say "he has to be doing something wrong" and wild stories abound. Yes with over 100,000 transactions a few have gone awry but we offer a 100% money back guarantee. It's all naysayers point out. We also love to give back. Over the last decade we have given back close to 10's of 1000's in gifts, prizes and aid to cleaners. Yet that goes conveniently unnoticed by naysayers. But like Joe Polish, Howard Partridge and any other person who raised themselves up from the trenches, it's important to keep your eyes focused on your goals. Who knows how far you may go. Howard is since retired, writes books and makes a lot money consulting. Joe is making mega millions attending to Hollywood big shots and is living his dream.

I encourage you to find your passion and live it. Yes it will come with it's challenges, naysayers and finger pointing. The higher you go the more you will get. Don't mind it. Count it as proof you are achieving your dreams while others are not. Use it as a fuel your fire. Figure out a 5 year plan and stick to it. It can be simple or it can be grandiose. It's a matter of finding out what fits "you" not others. Doing so will not only make you financially better off but will bring you peace of mind that comes with fulfilling your dreams. Go for it. Just be aware of what Joe Polish went through. The haters will come, but so will success. Maybe even wild success!

Rob

Here is an excerpt from one Joe's Cleaner Conferences. We had to go check out why so many hated him and ended up finding out why so many who loved him.

Last edited:
Reactions: timyager

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I was suckered in... in the late 90's for the $250 package. I didn't care for the message, but bought a post office permit and drop mailed post cards to certain zip codes at .13 a copy plus printing ( back then you bought a printer, used all the ink and threw it away because it was more cost effective). The message was televangelist "send me your money", what I took away was different. You also have to remember that we didn't have instant answers back then... shotgunning 56k modems lol

Welcome you have mail!

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I bought into it at the beginning. I was at the first and I believe the third seminar (what was his quirky name for those things?) in the pheonix area. I spend a lot of money but made every cent of it back many times over. Right after that he got money hungry bad and it got real clear he was merely compiling "his" material from other marketing stuff and putting carpet cleaning language in it.

Howard Partridge had a much better program imho.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
LOL 56K Modem.... I remember my 300 baud modem on my Vic 20. Compuserve had a premium service they offered for high speed of 1200 baud. Wow! I couldn't even read the text as it popped up on the screen it moved so fast!

CompuServ - man, has it been so long ago already?

Here's one that'll blow your circuits - remember PeopleLink, around 1985 or so?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
What is the name of the book?
20180713_074011.jpg

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I read this thread and was thinking about it today. Its not said but we are talking about George here. Yes he does rub me the wrong way. Most of us can see through his "lets be friends" approach. We all know he just is into it for the money.

You started a thread about being a salesman. This is the point. Our perception of a salesman is one who is really after the almighty dollar, no matter what they need to do. this is George - its plain to see his *pitch*.

But the true salesman is the one who genuinely is out to help someone, EVEN IF IT DOES NOT RESULT IN A SALE! They become a friend, and friends buy from friends. (we never met but I would put you in this category)

Another thing you pointed out in the beginning is a comparison to Joe Polish and others. Big difference. Joe and the others offered help on how to run a business. George is offering to teach us how to do tasks. Most of this can be found online or on your forum.

You see most small business owners are really good at what they do, they just don't know how to run a business and that is the main reason there is high percentage of failures

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
If there is any person wanting to learn carpet cleaning in PHX Arizona but doesn’t know how to do it or operate the equipment, I’d me happy to show them hands on. I had someone who was in biz steer me in the right direction when I started. I would gladly do the same free. On my own time. Like @RobAllen said,
There is plenty of dirt to go around for us all

Reactions: bolo

Latest posts