Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
What is happening is it is getting probably half the fuel it needs under a full load. When you shut it off and then restart, the carburetor fuel bowl fills with gas (this is enough fuel to run for several seconds on full load, more if you're getting about half normal fuel flow). Then when you rev it back to full power, it runs fine until the fuel bowl runs out of gas because the fuel pump is not delivering enough... and you need to find out why. It's either a fuel filter, defective fuel pump, or faulty relay switch.

Pull off the fuel line from the carb and check the flow when you turn the machine to ON and override the low oil circuit (if equipped). If you have good flow, you have an obstruction within the carburetor at the valve going into the fuel bowl. If you have low flow, check flow before the fuel filter and that will isolate if it's the filter or the actual pump.
He said he get it serviced every 100 hours so I think the filter is ok. But the pump sounds correct.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
A fuel pump will pump pretty good if it's not under pressure but put the hose back on and the pump can't pump hard enough to supply the machine adequately.
Don't need to much psi to push through float. When my fuel pump goes and I pop off fuel line there is dick all for psi. It will run on idle but stall or chug when on medium/ high. Doesn't even need to be under load. Also found out there are better 12V fuel pumps out there as well.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Don't need to much psi to push through float. When my fuel pump goes and I pop off fuel line there is dick all for psi. It will run on idle but stall or chug when on medium/ high. Doesn't even need to be under load. Also found out there are better 12V fuel pumps out there as well.
Ok then lol. It's good you have the experience with that problem. Thanks

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Ok then lol. It's good you have the experience with that problem. Thanks
Doesn't sound like dirty jets in carp, air filter, fuel filters or plugs.
Easiest way to eliminate fuel pump is to pull off and check.
Agree Mike is a great TM mechanic... I'm sure he will diagnose problem.
From what I heard and what Aaron has described I'm thinking fuel pump.

Reactions: smart n kleen

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Doesn't sound like dirty jets in carp, air filter, fuel filters or plugs.
Easiest way to eliminate fuel pump is to pull off and check.
Agree Mike is a great TM mechanic... I'm sure he will diagnose problem.
From what I heard and what Aaron has described I'm thinking fuel pump.
Can't keep up with the demand of the machine.

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
Thanks for the help everyone. Not sure what's worse...last winter I didn't have any jobs but a brand new tm. This winter I have more work than I can handle but not a dependable machine to get it done. Hoping to get it into a shop in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the help everyone. Not sure what's worse...last winter I didn't have any jobs but a brand new tm. This winter I have more work than I can handle but not a dependable machine to get it done. Hoping to get it into a shop in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums
Tell mike I said hello. I hope you get it figured out.

Vintage4life

Jun 22, 2015
Real Name
Alex Pennock
Could also be a low oil shutoff. Make sure oil is topped off.

Make sure waste tank is empty.

Not sure if your TM requires a full water supply to run but make sure the water reservoir is full.

Then yes it's def possible your fuel pump is weak / carb issue.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Could also be a low oil shutoff. Make sure oil is topped off.

Make sure waste tank is empty.

Not sure if your TM requires a full water supply to run but make sure the water reservoir is full.

Then yes it's def possible your fuel pump is weak / carb issue.
It's a hydramaster. That stuff wouldn't happen. Again he gets it serviced every 100 hours. No low oil.