Hydramaster keeps taking a dump

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
My machine has worked great but the last 3 weeks it keeps dying on me. It won't do it at the mechanics and it's not every single job but probably 2 out of 3 jobs. Does anyone have an idea on what the problem is?

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
It cuts off and sometimes it's a clean cut but often it chugs and chugs for several seconds before shutting down. Usually it will restart again right away but will shut down again in 30 seconds or so.

I wish I could get the video to post because I don't explain it well.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
I think you have a fuel delivery issue - plugged fuel filter or pump/relay cutting on and off. Might only do it at a job when it's under load because it's requiring more fuel to keep running. At the mechanic, he might not be putting a full load on the engine for long enough.

Thank you for the input. Is the video showing on your end?

It started shortly after the 500 hour service and when the fuel filter was just replaced.

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
I honestly don't know how many hours on the pump. Around 580 hours on the machine so I hope it still has some life in it. I take the machine in every hundred hours for what ever service is recommended but I don't try to dig too much into the mechanical side.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
What is happening is it is getting probably half the fuel it needs under a full load. When you shut it off and then restart, the carburetor fuel bowl fills with gas (this is enough fuel to run for several seconds on full load, more if you're getting about half normal fuel flow). Then when you rev it back to full power, it runs fine until the fuel bowl runs out of gas because the fuel pump is not delivering enough... and you need to find out why. It's either a fuel filter, defective fuel pump, or faulty relay switch.

Pull off the fuel line from the carb and check the flow when you turn the machine to ON and override the low oil circuit (if equipped). If you have good flow, you have an obstruction within the carburetor at the valve going into the fuel bowl. If you have low flow, check flow before the fuel filter and that will isolate if it's the filter or the actual pump.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Fuel pump. Take off fuel line leading into carb. Have a jar handy . Turn on switch see if you have flow. You should be able to hear 12 V pump . To me that sounds like fuel pump. My 575 has done the same thing. Put a clear fuel filter on fuel line right before carb. This way in the future you can see if your engine is getting fuel.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Fuel pump. Take off fuel line leading into carb. Have a jar handy . Turn on switch see if you have flow. You should be able to hear 12 V pump . To me that sounds like fuel pump. My 575 has done the same thing. Put a clear fuel filter on fuel line right before carb. This way in the future you can see if your engine is getting fuel.
A fuel pump will pump pretty good if it's not under pressure but put the hose back on and the pump can't pump hard enough to supply the machine adequately.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I honestly don't know how many hours on the pump. Around 580 hours on the machine so I hope it still has some life in it. I take the machine in every hundred hours for what ever service is recommended but I don't try to dig too much into the mechanical side.

You have a fuel tap into vehicle gas tank? Those 12V pumps 500 hrs is about right . Especially if you need to push fuel fairly far in the lines.