Hydramaster CDS 4.8 recovery tank corroded

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 11, 2013
Real Name
Mark Kroemer
Looking for advice on repairing or replacing 2009 CDS 4.8 recovery tank. Jondon is quoting me almost $5000 to replace. Anybody have experience with this issue. It could be repaired but down time will eat up most of the $ saved versus replacement.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If it were me (I have a 4.7), I would talk to a welder and have one made in stainless. Friday at lunch strip out the old tank and be at the welders sat am. for final fit up of holes, fittings, brackets and be bolting it together sat night.

However, I would also use this opportunity to make improvements to the tank for improved airflow, lid, lid seal, bigger vac fittings, etc.. I run 4 to the back door on my CDS, dual vac lines, dual inline filters to a y fitting at my van back door, simple mod, more airflow and twice the filter life. That's my short list, but if the van is in great shape I'd fix it.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Ya I completely agree with Jim local guy could prob fabricate one out of stainless waaay cheaper than 5000.
I would think around 1500 or so would get you alot nicer stainless one

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Changing a CDS waste tank is no small feat... Done a couple. Getting the H.E. and water box to line back up will be fun. With it being an 09, you shouldn't have a horrible time if you get a HM universal tank.
Having a welder make a new tank out of stainless...in a weekend... Under $5000. Have fun with that!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Changing a CDS waste tank is no small feat... Done a couple. Getting the H.E. and water box to line back up will be fun. With it being an 09, you shouldn't have a horrible time if you get a HM universal tank.
Having a welder make a new tank out of stainless...in a weekend... Under $5000. Have fun with that!
The tank would be fabricated ahead of time, final fit up of holes, fittings and brackets can be done in a few hours especially with both tanks side by side for virtually perfect alignment. It's a pretty straight forward tank using off the shelf stock, I don't see it as a daunting task, however others might... I see it as an opportunity to make it better on iron that's likely paid for!

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States

MikeK

Mar 11, 2016
Real Name
Mike Kallen
Faced with similar high price for new replacement, I asked a welder that has a great reputation and he told me he wouldnt be able to save me any money over the new cost. So I made one out of black abs plastic. It cost about $300 for materials and took some time to do. I used a combination of abs glue and fasteners to make sure baffles didnt shift and the corners wouldnt collapse. Overall I am happy. The only leaks I have incurred, I simply located them, turned on the machine/vacuum and applied some additional abs glue and turned it off. Sealed.