Hydramaster cds 4.8 question | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hydramaster cds 4.8 question

CleanerJayCA

Jan 24, 2014
Ive been looking into tm's and I see some prefer direct drive and some slide in. I understand slide in but not sure on direct drive. Its attached to the van...but does the van need to be running to have it work? Hope I dont sound stupid lol. Ive had my eue on a van/direct drive combo (hydramaster cds 4.8 3900 hours, ford van 150,000 miles) is this something I should even consider? Is this a good tm? How much would you guys pay? ALSO, is this TM strong enough or does it provide enough constant heat to do tile and grout work? I appreciate any input on this...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using TMF Forums mobile app

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Ive been looking into tm's and I see some prefer direct drive and some slide in. I understand slide in but not sure on direct drive. Its attached to the van...but does the van need to be running to have it work? Hope I dont sound stupid lol. Ive had my eue on a van/direct drive combo (hydramaster cds 4.8 3900 hours, ford van 150,000 miles) is this something I should even consider? Is this a good tm? How much would you guys pay? ALSO, is this TM strong enough or does it provide enough constant heat to do tile and grout work? I appreciate any input on this...

Van has to run to operate. Unit is storng emough to do T&G..cant answer your other questions. one thing to consider is that when the Van goes down..you're DOWN!

CleanSteps LLC

Jan 15, 2014
www.cleanstepscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Aaron Newsom
Business Location
United States
The 4.8 cds is an awesome unit in my eyes. As far as price goes you have to weight all variables. What equipment comes with it? Any chems? How well it was maintained!? All things that will change the price. If the unit was well maintained there is a ton of life on that unit.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: aloha one

CleanerJayCA

Jan 24, 2014
Van has to run to operate. Unit is storng emough to do T&G..cant answer your other questions. one thing to consider is that when the Van goes down..you're DOWN!
I hear ya but if I had a slide in...if my van goes down im still down...so not much different right?

Reactions: AdmiralClean

CleanerJayCA

Jan 24, 2014
The 4.8 cds is an awesome unit in my eyes. As far as price goes you have to weight all variables. What equipment comes with it? Any chems? How well it was maintained!? All things that will change the price. If the unit was well maintained there is a ton of life on that unit.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
I sent you a message..

turbo carpets

Mar 2, 2014
Real Name
charlie
Business Location
United States
Its always a coupler going south , good units but not one i would ever own .

Sent from my LG-LG870 using TMF Forums mobile app

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
Its always a coupler going south , good units but not one i would ever own .

Sent from my LG-LG870 using TMF Forums mobile app
coupler? there is no coupler on a cds. there is a driveshaft driven by a electromagnetic clutch.. i hear those eventuallly go out, but i have 1700 hours and not even one minute of downtime.. my three prior slide ins had multiple issues way before that many hours...
you have to have one to appreciate the reliability... Id mainly be concerned about the van.. if the suction is strong and there are no leaks, there isnt much to go wrong...

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
as for the van going down argument, ive heard this many times.. if the van goes bad with a slide in it is cheaper and quicker to do, but is by no means easy to move any truckmount.. a cds will take more labor hours to move, but if you put it in a new or good van, it will run And run.. your always going to have more problems with slide ins... ive had three..

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Reactions: AdmiralClean

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I hear ya but if I had a slide in...if my van goes down im still down...so not much different right?

TRUE! What was I Thinking! There lies the Problem....THINKING!:eek:

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I have a 4.7 cds in a 2000 dodge 2500. Great TM, useless truck. Only issues I have had are the high idle failed so I attached a choke cable to the panel and now have better control of the idol. There are times you dont need to run at 3000 rpm's. That said, I believe they might also build a unit with idle switching, so low/med/high.
My pto shaft failed so I went to a drive line shop and they built me a new one and repaired to old for under 300 bucks. Dealer wanted $800 or was it 1800? i cant remember. I have about 3500 hrs on it and its been great. If it has the salsa heat exchanger as well, thats even better I think. My dodge runs pretty hot so heat is not an issue. If I could figure out how to put it in my 2010 GMC easily I would swap it with the Boxxer slide in with out a second thought.
I know its not the same model, but I think the build quality is probably the same.

CleanerJayCA

Jan 24, 2014
I have a 4.7 cds in a 2000 dodge 2500. Great TM, useless truck. Only issues I have had are the high idle ...
Thank you... im trying to figure out if I want to pull the trigger on this one... is it a good newbie tm?

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I doubt you will out grow it.
I had an old ford with a home made TM in it. I wish I had kept it (the Ford that is).
My Dodge has 250k miles on it and add to that the idle time, its no wonder the van is past its best.
i do a lot of miles and a 3/4 ton is just not up to the task IF you have a 100gal fresh water tank.
I had a one ton front end put in it as well. I have had 3 trannies in it.
If I could have found a Ford when I was looking for a van for the slide in then I would have bought one in preference to the GMC.
EDIT. Check the pressure on it. The unloader valve (pressure regulator I believe) is dependent on a spring in the brass turn knob. Hydramaster want quite a bit for the spring I believe. I went to my local Pumps and pressure and they found a spring that I put in to replace the one I had. I went from 450 max to 800 psi. Wether my spring was just worn out I dont know, I just know what i am telling you about mine.
2nd Edit. How much is being asked for it?

Last edited:

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I have a 4.7 cds in a 2000 dodge 2500. Great TM, useless truck. Only issues I have had are the high idle failed so I attached a choke cable to the panel and now have better control of the idol. There are times you dont need to run at 3000 rpm's. That said, I believe they might also build a unit with idle switching, so low/med/high.
My pto shaft failed so I went to a drive line shop and they built me a new one and repaired to old for under 300 bucks. Dealer wanted $800 or was it 1800? i cant remember. I have about 3500 hrs on it and its been great. If it has the salsa heat exchanger as well, thats even better I think. My dodge runs pretty hot so heat is not an issue. If I could figure out how to put it in my 2010 GMC easily I would swap it with the Boxxer slide in with out a second thought.
I know its not the same model, but I think the build quality is probably the same.
By the way, made a typo, mines a 4.6cds

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
do the older units actually run the van at 3000 rpms? I was just curious about that... mine is a 2010 unit and it is the CDs 4.8 and they now use an overdrive set up that turns the blower at 3000, but the van motor is running at 1500 rpm.
They also now don't use vacuum and such to control the idle.. it is a little electronic control board that does it all now tied to the ECM.
If they do turn that fast maybe that's why everyone always talks about high fuel use in CDs.. in the newer ones they burn about 1.6 GPh on medium speed ( 1500 rpm ).
you probably can move it a gm, but you will almost certainly need a new front end kit which is probably costly

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums mobile app

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I dont know. The tacho on mine stopped working. I set it based on the vacuum gauge and sound of the blower. Primitive i know, but it works for me.
As for the transfer, I bought the module off ebay for 235 bucks. Dealer wants 3k. plus 7k for the transfer and new clutch bracket and shaft.

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
it's just nuts what they charge for that stuff isn't it? I mean like to give business the benefit of the doubt as I do not know their cost structures, but seriously, that is some insane money for those items!

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
it's almost like" hey you bought a CDs which is gonna run damn near forever and we can't sell you a shiny new slide in, so were gonna screw you good to keep it and move it... you have to do it or buy a new slide in or something, so it's like they know they have you... I hate shit like that..
even the cost of a new CDs I kinda have a problem with.. they are around $26,000 now.. you can buy a Titan 575 for less than that and it has it's own power plant and the exhaust system and diverters and all that crap that costs plenty of money...
What the hell is in a CDs to make it cost MORE!
I think it's kinda the same thing.. were not gonna get you again for a LONG time, so were gonna charge you more than it's really worth... I mean There is so much more hardware in a slide in.. which is why I don't like them... too much crap to go wrong, but the motor alone in a mid sized slide in is $4000 easily that a CDs does not have.... I don't get it

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I also have the Boxxer 21hp briggs engine. I just enjoy using the cds more but always feel the van is going to let me down.
Once you lose confidence in a piece of equipment, its hard to keep using it.