Hydramaster CDS 4.8 Bogging Down under load. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hydramaster CDS 4.8 Bogging Down under load.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Last night on my last job with my Hydramster CDS, I noticed it was bogging down as soon as the wand hit the floor I checked and the relief valve is working.

Filters are all clean, vacuum hose isn't clogged.

Is there a belt that could be slipping and causing this? Or is there a clutch that needs to be replaced or adjusted? My machine has just under 1,700 hours on it.

Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Last night on my last job with my Hydramster CDS, I noticed it was bogging down as soon as the wand hit the floor I checked and the relief valve is working.

Filters are all clean, vacuum hose isn't clogged.

Is there a belt that could be slipping and causing this? Or is there a clutch that needs to be replaced or adjusted? My machine has just under 1,700 hours on it.

Thanks for any help.
I hope this isn't your problem, but it definitely is not out of the question. You could have a clogged heat exchange. I've only had that happen one time on my Boxxer and I had under 2,000 hours when it happened. I had to take it in to have that serviced. I checked your manual before posting this since I wasn't sure it applied to your machine. I confirmed that it does apply. Hopefully it's something else. I honestly don't know why mine got clogged up so fast, but hasn't given me a bit of trouble since. I have a theory about it, but may be wrong. The reason why it would bog under vacuum load is because the air wasn't passing freely through the heat exchange putting a great deal of stress on the machine. Btw, it was the blower exhaust heat exchange that caused the problem. If you check everything else out and nothing fixes it you will have to have the machine looked at.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I hope this isn't your problem, but it definitely is not out of the question. You could have a clogged heat exchange. I've only had that happen one time on my Boxxer and I had under 2,000 hours when it happened. I had to take it in to have that serviced. I checked your manual before posting this since I wasn't sure it applied to your machine. I confirmed that it does apply. Hopefully it's something else. I honestly don't know why mine got clogged up so fast, but hasn't given me a bit of trouble since. I have a theory about it, but may be wrong. The reason why it would bog under vacuum load is because the air wasn't passing freely through the heat exchange putting a great deal of stress on the machine. Btw, it was the blower exhaust heat exchange that caused the problem. If you check everything else out and nothing fixes it you will have to have the machine looked at.
But wouldn't that be more of a problem that builds up gradually? Johnny's machine was fine on one job and started bogging down on the next.

I could be totally wrong, I understand the basics of pto's but don't have any experience with them.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
But wouldn't that be more of a problem that builds up gradually? Johnny's machine was fine on one job and started bogging down on the next.

I could be totally wrong, I understand the basics of pto's but don't have any experience with them.
Honestly, I don't know. It does mention it in the manual. If I remember correctly mine would bog down as soon as I turned up the rpms and it would immediately start struggling to run. I thought it was an engine problem, but wasn't. Finally took it in to Jondon and they determined the vacuum exhaust heat exchange was plugged up. They took it out and soaked it a few hours in some kind of acid bath. After they put it back in the problem was gone and I was getting much better heat. Heat was like it was when it was new. I was somewhere between 1500 to 1800 hours if I remember correctly. I know it was in that ball park.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Honestly, I don't know. It does mention it in the manual. If I remember correctly mine would bog down as soon as I turned up the rpms and it would immediately start struggling to run. I thought it was an engine problem, but wasn't. Finally took it in to Jondon and they determined the vacuum exhaust heat exchange was plugged up. They took it out and soaked it a few hours in some kind of acid bath. After they put it back in the problem was gone and I was getting much better heat. Heat was like it was when it was new. I was somewhere between 1500 to 1800 hours if I remember correctly. I know it was in that ball park.

Thanks or the help. But the TM runs fine. only boggs down when the wand hits the carpet. Which ;ears me to believe something is slipping rather then the exhaust being blocked.

jimmypietsch

May 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Real Name
james pietsch
Business Location
United States
I think your clutch is going out. My first CDS started doing that at 2900 hours. Replaced the clutch and it was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: wandwizard

jimmypietsch

May 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Real Name
james pietsch
Business Location
United States

I had Interlink order it and install it. Part was about $250 ish, and whatever it was to install. In and out in an hour.

TLC CARPET CLEANING

Dec 3, 2010
vermont
Real Name
Leon Turmel
Business Location
United States
Johnny, check your belt tension on the underhood side and also at the blower pulley drives. Sounds like maybe a belt might be slipping under load. Won't necessarily hear it because of the truckmount running. Also the pto drive clutch comment is good also if the belts are not slipping or worn out. There are a couple other things to check, but I would start with these.

Hope this helps

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I think your clutch is going out. My first CDS started doing that at 2900 hours. Replaced the clutch and it was good to go.

This is what I think it is. I looked under the dog house and the belts seem to be fine.

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Johnny, check your belt tension on the underhood side and also at the blower pulley drives. Sounds like maybe a belt might be slipping under load. Won't necessarily hear it because of the truckmount running. Also the pto drive clutch comment is good also if the belts are not slipping or worn out. There are a couple other things to check, but I would start with these.

Hope this helps

I checked under the dog house and the belts seems fine. Tomorrow I'll check under the hood and see if that belt looks good or not. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

Jimmy L

Apr 16, 2012
Ne
Real Name
Jimmy Ladigwag
Business Location
United States
Spray a little wd 40 around the vac relief valve. Push it in and out several times.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Thanks or the help. But the TM runs fine. only boggs down when the wand hits the carpet. Which ;ears me to believe something is slipping rather then the exhaust being blocked.
@Johnny Bravo
Now that I read some people with experience I can tell you something that applies to all engines regardless on where those are installed or what the do.

when the air passages are restricted (exhaust) the engine will loose pressure under load. at idle it should work fine because it is simply turning not providing any power. (in this case we are not talking about your car engine we are talking about the blower reacting as an engine would).

If a clutch is slipping, the blower (engine) would not have enough power to run and will attempt to quit. a car engine would simply stall but in your case the engine has the cojones to carry on and your blower is the one loosing power. either a restriction on the air flow or a component that is not turning the blower at the rpm needed to allow the blower work at full capacity.

If you want, bring it ove and we can look at your clutch and also look at the exhaust. we may be able to figure it out.

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
@Johnny Bravo
Now that I read some people with experience I can tell you something that applies to all engines regardless on where those are installed or what the do.

when the air passages are restricted (exhaust) the engine will loose pressure under load. at idle it should work fine because it is simply turning not providing any power. (in this case we are not talking about your car engine we are talking about the blower reacting as an engine would).

If a clutch is slipping, the blower (engine) would not have enough power to run and will attempt to quit. a car engine would simply stall but in your case the engine has the cojones to carry on and your blower is the one loosing power. either a restriction on the air flow or a component that is not turning the blower at the rpm needed to allow the blower work at full capacity.

If you want, bring it ove and we can look at your clutch and also look at the exhaust. we may be able to figure it out.
Calling you right now.

But just so yo know, the blower runs fine not only at idle but at running speed too. It only bogs down once the wand hits the carpet.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Wand locked down its pulling a load .
Fuel maybe .

Dust-Go

Apr 2, 2013
Real Name
Daniel Kite
What do your lift gauge and tach show when you are running the machine? How about when you cover the vac port?

Sent from my SM-G930V using TMF Forums mobile app

jimmypietsch

May 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Real Name
james pietsch
Business Location
United States
Love to hear an update on this. Of course the vacuum gauge and tach would drop. It's Bogging Down.

jimmypietsch

May 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Real Name
james pietsch
Business Location
United States
When my CDS did this, it gave me some warning. In the middle of a job it would bog, screech a bit, and then go back to normal. I had time to figure it out and fix it, plus it was a back up machine at that time.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Love to hear an update on this. Of course the vacuum gauge and tach would drop. It's Bogging Down.

Johnny told me he fired it up today and it worked just fine, go figure.