HYDRA CAT PROJECT-NEED FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

HYDRA CAT PROJECT-NEED FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I just picked up an old Hydra Cat project machine.

Funny thing is, back in June I looked at this machine, and the guy was asking somewhere in the low teens, like $13-14 hundred.
But it was in in several pieces and he had no battery or gas tank, so he could not start it up.
He claimed it ran good several years prior, when he removed it from the van and got out of the business.
I decided to call him back a month later and low ball him but it was sold.
Fast forward to yesterday, I see a Hydra-cat for sale, go check it out, turns out it's the same machine but some young kid has it now, says he bought it for parts because he has another one he's cleaning with.
I try to turn the pulley on the engine, and it's locked up. But then I realize it's the same machine I looked at before, and it was free then, so I ask the kid his bottom line, and he says $500.
WTH! For $500, I'm in!
I'm pretty confident that the reason it's not turning is because the kid left it outside, uncovered and something rusted up.
Hopefully not the blower.
It's got an 20hp Onan engine, and a cat pump.
Any suggestions?
Finally cooling off down here, so this should make a good fall/winter project.

OK, why can't I upload pictures? Never had a problem before.

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
Its a work horse. Good Eng, pump, blower. Bought 1 new in 79 . Sold it for a new unit. Running good when i sold it. Check the points. Oil blower and change blower oil.

Reactions: ronman

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme

Funny thing is, back in June I looked at this machine, and the guy was asking somewhere in the low teens, like $13-14 hundred.
But it was in in several pieces and he had no battery or gas tank, so he could not start it up.
He claimed it ran good several years prior, when he removed it from the van and got out of the business.
Fast forward to yesterday, I see a Hydra-cat for sale, go check it out, turns out it's the same machine but some young kid has it now, says he bought it for parts because he has another one he's cleaning with.
I try to turn the pulley on the engine, and it's locked up. But then I realize it's the same machine I looked at before, and it was free then, so I ask the kid his bottom line, and he says $500.
WTH! For $500, I'm in!
I'm pretty confident that the reason it's not turning is because the kid left it outside, uncovered and something rusted up.
Any suggestions?

Hydracat you say? What model?

I have a couple of hydracats.. well kinda. I have a stripped hydracat 45 and am just about done rebuilding a hydracat M series.

I had the frame powder coated for $265..

@Todd the Cleaner also has a hydracat he is going to be working on as well.

I am willing to bet the blower is rusted and thats why it won't spin. I just unfreed a blower that was stuck for a decade.. was pretty fun. I am still planning on getting the face plate wrapped.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
I bought this one last year for $500.. sold the waste tank for $200 and old used heater for $100. So technically, I only paid $200.

Anyone want to buy a 47 blower?

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
I have a couple of them myself paid 400 for one and 300 for the other. Just went through one and getting ready to mount it ,,,you arent going to find a more "dummy" proof machine any where you look. Mojo's motor upgrade has me thinking now,,,,,

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
I have a couple of them myself paid 400 for one and 300 for the other. Just went through one and getting ready to mount it ,,,you arent going to find a more "dummy" proof machine any where you look. Mojo's motor upgrade has me thinking now,,,,,
Its a hydramaster "kit" that they installed on my original hydracat 45. You are right, they are simple machines and I like simple. I have a prochem that I don't even know what all the buttons do.

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
I bought this one last year for $500.. sold the waste tank for $200 and old used heater for $100. So technically, I only paid $200.

Anyone want to buy a 47 blower?
If the damn things werent so heavy I would, been wanting to upgrade a prochem I have,,,,,

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Damn Mojo, that looks sweet!!

Mines a 20hp S series.

I've got a briggs 18hp vanguard, I wonder if that would be strong enough to drive it?

Nice job!

Did they sandblast and prep the frame for the $265, or just coat it?

I'm concerned about the onan, I know parts are crazy expensive and hard to find, but if it runs, I'll probably just run it till it dies.

When I looked at it in June, it was not frozen, so it may not be too seriously rusted up.

I havent really applied any muscle to turning it yet either, it was sitting on top of a four foot high stack of pallets, and I could not get a good grip on anything, so once I get it on the ground, I'll see if I can get it to turn.

I like simple too, I like being able to fix it on the job myself.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

WTH! For $500, I'm in!
Any suggestions?

You could send it to Ben at Amtex and let him work his magic on it for a nominal fee. Seems be worth it. Just a suggestion Ron.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
You could send it to Ben at Amtex and let him work his magic on it for a nominal fee. Seems be worth it. Just a suggestion Ron.
That would be nice, but I have more time than money Rob, so I'll have to do a lot of it myself.

Reactions: rob allen

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Damn Mojo, that looks sweet!!

Mines a 20hp S series.

I've got a briggs 18hp vanguard, I wonder if that would be strong enough to drive it?

Nice job!

Did they sandblast and prep the frame for the $265, or just coat it?

I'm concerned about the onan, I know parts are crazy expensive and hard to find, but if it runs, I'll probably just run it till it dies.

When I looked at it in June, it was not frozen, so it may not be too seriously rusted up.

I havent really applied any muscle to turning it yet either, it was sitting on top of a four foot high stack of pallets, and I could not get a good grip on anything, so once I get it on the ground, I'll see if I can get it to turn.

I like simple too, I like being able to fix it on the job myself.
The "S" series looks just like my "M" series. I think the 18 HP will run it.. gotta figure the cat pump on it is going to use 3-4 HP.

It was a local company called powder fab.. they sandblasted it and powder coated it for the $265. Seemed like a good price to me and it was quality work. I just stripped it down for them to do the work on it.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the blower, its very common for them to freeze up while they are sitting long. The blower I have sat for about a decade.. and actually had to loosen the front plate a little to unfreeze it. Spins like a champ now.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
The "S" series looks just like my "M" series. I think the 18 HP will run it.. gotta figure the cat pump on it is going to use 3-4 HP.

It was a local company called powder fab.. they sandblasted it and powder coated it for the $265. Seemed like a good price to me and it was quality work. I just stripped it down for them to do the work on it.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the blower, its very common for them to freeze up while they are sitting long. The blower I have sat for about a decade.. and actually had to loosen the front plate a little to unfreeze it. Spins like a champ now.
They did a great job on your frame! I like the color too.
Who painted the blower? How many horse is your unit?
I got a big heavy propane heater with it too.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
They did a great job on your frame! I like the color too.
Who painted the blower? How many horse is your unit?
I got a big heavy propane heater with it too.
I painted the blower, wanted an off color from the frame. Its a 21 hp engine with a 290 cat pump and a #4 blower. I wanted to do a heat exchanger but I just want to keep it easy.