Hybrid Truck Mount Phase 2b Report | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hybrid Truck Mount Phase 2b Report

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Wouldn't this drop the lift resulting in no practical gain? My goal is to create an HTM beast without dragging out equipment. Also remind Ray that I need the details on your hx...weight...does it have a murphy gauge or some kind of heat relief...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

DJCarpetService

May 16, 2011
PA
Real Name
Jared Benedict
Business Location
United States
What about a 10 hp electric motor belt driving a pd blower and water pump... Like a bane unit on steroids

Reactions: StevenB.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
OK - I've re-tested all my components and have decided to go a different route for HTM 2b:

Current Config:
2 Air Hog 7300-S in a parallel chain - 4500 watts (after further testing this is the average draw between them)
1 Water Hog as the pump - 1050 watts (average draw for carpet - I use my Panthers for tile)
1 2 stage motor pulling on the exhaust of the front Air Hog - 1050 watts
1 Inline 3600 watt heater used with customer electricity - sufficient
Total watts: 6600 watts

Final Config Decision:
2 lamb 6.6 motors replacing Air Hog in back of chain - 3300 watts
1 Air Hog 7300-S in parallel chain with lamb 6.6 motors - 2500 watts (running apo)
1 pumptec 500 psi pump - 360 watts
1 Inline 3600 watt heater used with customer electricity - sufficient - I'll worry about a hx a little later
Total Watts: 6160 - less watts - better performance

The 6.6 lambs will give me better performance then the Air Hog they replace and my total watts will be down (since I'm going to kill the homemade exhaust booster) and performance will be better by about 30%.

Larry Cobb

Mar 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

That setup looks good for the power consumed.

I would probably leave the 7300-S with the stock vac motors.

Larry

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I'm going to... I'm going to mount the lamb 6.6 motors behind the first AirHog in the chain (pulling out one of the Airhogs) on a mounting plate and some sort of stand. I sent Ray an email to get me 2 6.6 motors hooked up in a series config on a mounting plate with a toggle switch.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I'm going to... I'm going to mount the lamb 6.6 motors behind the first AirHog in the chain (pulling out one of the Airhogs) on a mounting plate and some sort of stand. I sent Ray an email to get me 2 6.6 motors hooked up in a series config on a mounting plate with a toggle switch.

Jim-

Glad to see you're doing your due diligence. I commend you for that.

During this vacuum testing, were you able to do any testing on how long it took for the carpet to dry, with each vacuum motor setup, and then adding, or subtracting, more vacuum motors?

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Jim-

Glad to see you're doing your due diligence. I commend you for that.

During this vacuum testing, were you able to do any testing on how long it took for the carpet to dry, with each vacuum motor setup, and then adding, or subtracting, more vacuum motors?

I've used my office as the testing ground for consistency - I average about 2.5 hours - with the exhaust booster about the same (which is another reason why I'm ditching the idea of adding a little lift when I already have 210"). The carpet is low pile residential type - about 1800 square feet and usually dries fast. With a Panther 14hp it's about same dry time roughly - with a Panther 18hp about 90 minutes - with an Eclipse "porty" about 3-4 hours. I try and keep all variables the same - I run 100' for testing. In reality I'm only boosting the HTM further so it can handle 200-250' when needed without long dry times - that's really my only goal for this unit.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Phase 2b is getting closer - Got in a low amp pump (to compensate for the higher amp vac motors and allow 8000 running watts to still be only used by about 80-85%) and 2 6.6 motors from Cobb yesterday. Wired up the motors (in test mode only) and did some testing (not using a wand - just hooked up in office) - very powerful with a nice air rushing sound through the extra 50' 2" hose I had laying around - the lift gauge only hits 205" but I think that it may be because the waterproof seal and the need to break them in for about 24 hours - and/or my gauge is hosed - all the glycerin is out of it and it seems to stick just past 200 - might be the gauge.

Cobb mounted them on a plate for me to save me time and trouble. Won't be implementing the new motors and pump into the current HTM until next week since I'm slammed schedule wise.
20131010_081419.jpg

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I've run the 6.6 motors - 2 in series parallel with 2 5.7 motors on a Air Hog 7300-S - for about 20 hours so far. Everything has worked great - better air flow - about the same lift as when I used to Air Hog 7300-S parallel with each other. The only glitch was this weekend when I ran the 2 6.6 motors about 3.5 hours on a 375 long run with 4 5.7 motors toward the very end the one of the 6.6 motors shut down - thermal sensor I'm guessing. It's fine now.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Ran the hybrid with 4 motors on today (vs 6) - 2 6.6 & 2 5.7. Ran 200' cleaning greasy restaurant cgd and the performance was awesome. Wand was still howling - great lock down - no drip from hoses even when I disconnected.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Latest revision has survived testing and tweaking:

2 Ametek 6.6 motors in series
2 5.7 Electro low amp motors in series (Air Hog 7300-S)
Total cfm's: about 300
2 Extra 5.7 motors in other Air Hog 7300-S for about 420 cfm when needed (has to be plugged into customer though)
low amp Pumptec pump (low amp to allow it to safely work on generator)
8000 running watt generator (total power used 6500 watts)
4000 watt heat booster hooked into customers site
40 gallon fresh water tank fed to Pumptec with Mytee transfer pump

Notes:

- Extra defoamer is required as the high cfm funneling into the Air Hog 7300-S (runs the 5.7 motors with 6.6 motors pulling from behind it) creates excessive foam
- Performance is excellent up to 250' with a wand - can go up to 175' with a spinner or rotovac
- When the 2nd hog (2nd set of 5.7's) is used equaling 6 vac motors I can hit 300' with a spinner or rotovac
- Under normal load the generator - 14hp 8000 running watt - uses about .7 gallons an hour

Future Modifications:

- Adding 2 8.4 vacs next week (getting from Cobb Carpet) - will move the 6.6 vac into the Mytee Air Hog 7300-S and pull out the 5.7's in it as a backup - the total cfm with about 7000 running watts and only 4 motors will be around 340.

- Finally adding a hx in about 3 weeks so I don't have to use the 4000 watt inline heater at the customer site.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Added 2 8.4 vac motors. Now have 2 6.6 & 2 8.4 vac motors with about 340 cfm & 220" (tested this) of lif running off one 8000 watt gen with a pump and 1400 watts to spare. Haven't put the 8.4's into a finished enclosure yet.

Attachments