How'd you get started in cleaning industry? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How'd you get started in cleaning industry?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
How'd you get started?

Family
Forums
Youtube
Internet
Facebook
Franchise
Partnership
Parents company
Changed professions
Bootstrapped form nothing
Got laid off from another industry
Worked for another cleaning company first

I'll start. I bootstrapped from nothing after losing a good job in 1985. Went door door selling spotters and a lady asked me clean. Rest is history. You?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Ran a franchise for 3 years, got booted out by owners for exposing their bad practices both in cleaning and employee treatment.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
A guy I know came up with an idea of operating a night club for teenagers back in the late 70s. He had a ton of money and I had the time, so the plan was that I would find a building, he would buy it and I would run it and we would split the profits.

So I found a building where a guy updated an old dairy to start a night club but the city would not give him a liquor license. A perfect setup. Lighted dance floor, all tables/chairs/bars/k-way system in place. the only thing it needed was a DJ and light system. It was a great find so I personally put a down payment on it but when it came time for the guy to fund the building he backed out so Im sitting with a building all ready to go. Had to find another investor and finally got it up and running. He was to be a silent investor and I would handle all aspects of the business.

It was a huge success and we had the place packed every weekend. It was a 13,000 sf building so we needed to have the carpets cleaned and the professionals wanted a LOT of money so we bought a Castex portable and did it ourselves.

Well maybe it was too much of a success as the partner wanted to be more involved and thats when things turned south. Eventually we just closed the business.

From there I managed a bar which I HATED because I worked nights and my wife worked days so it was hell. One morning I woke up at 3am wide awake and thought I could start a carpet cleaning business with the Castex. In three weeks I was making more money cleaning than at the bar and the rest is history.

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
I got started by putting a small ad in the local paper to rake lawns in the fall of the year just to get some extra money. There was a customer that had us rake for her who owned a 4 plex rental and called one day to see if we would like to clean it after a renter moved out. Than she recommended us to her doctor and he hired us to clean on a regular basis his clinic. Than a few other clinics near by eventually hired us. I am so thankful

Reactions: U. S. Vet.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Answered add : will train • • went to work for a NAZZI • seamed like - lol

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Answered add : will train • • went to work for a NAZZI • seamed like - lol
He was a detailed person • put it like that • good for me though cause all was by the book • • except his books

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
Pushed my (University) 1968 beater car up and into the parking lot of the bank. The year: 1971) Went inside, using that car as collateral (!!!) , got a $5,000 loan. Purchased machine and a new van. Knocked on doors..........
48 years later, sold the manufacturing business. Enjoying the lounge chair and a night cap!

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Pushed my (University) 1968 beater car up and into the parking lot of the bank. The year: 1971) Went inside, using that car as collateral (!!!) , got a $5,000 loan. Purchased machine and a new van. Knocked on doors..........
48 years later, sold the manufacturing business. Enjoying the lounge chair and a night cap!
Sounds almost exactly how DT got his start • suckered a bank to give him a loan to buy the building across from Grand Central - lol