How would you have handled this call? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How would you have handled this call?

True clean

Aug 15, 2010
Florida
www.truecleanjacksonville.com
Real Name
Jerry Hendry
Business Location
United States
Hey guys,
I’ve been in business for 12 years. I’m an Owner operator and feel I do Excellent work at a fair price. (5 star rating with over 100 reviews) I’m priced at $50 per room including closets if applicable.
I had a caller today wanting Sunday service. I proceeded to gather his name, email, phone number and service address. I quoted $250 for 5 rooms. He asked about military discount, “10 percent “I said bringing the total to $225. I asked if he’d like to schedule? “No, I’ve got two other quotes for $180 or less. “Great deal” I said and ended the call. I immediately sent him a quote to the email he gave me because you never know if the other companies quotes will change once they arrive.”

My Question to you guys is “ what, if anything could I have done differently to sell my service over the cheap quotes this price shopper had received?”

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
People who are strictly price shoppers for services need to have their head examined. I'm a price shopper myself. I like to get good quality at a reasonable price or a fair price. Who on earth doesn't? I purchased a new pump for my fresh water supply this past week for 68 bucks and free S & H. Another site had the exact same one for 111.00 and I'm not sure if S & H was free. No brainer IMHO.

Now back to the subject on hand. It is RADICALLY DIFFERENT when you're being a price shopper for a SERVICE than for merchandise. There are unscrupulous services out there that charge a literal arm and a leg for their services and do a lousy job. I could name names, but I won't. You get what you pay for is almost a CERTAINTY when you get a low-baller service. I've seen it over and over and over through the years. Low ballers tend to use the low ball price as a method to get through the potential marks door, notice I didn't say, customer, then double or triple the over the phone quote. That my friend has been going on all over the U.S. probably since carpet cleaning started. The same applies to virtually ALL SERVICES performed in the home.

Price shoppers must be CONVINCED that YOUR SERVICE is better and that you are honest and ethical in your dealings. That must be done w/o criticizing or naming your competition even though some may deserve it. Focus on what YOU OFFER and why your service is worth that extra 50 or even several hundred bucks. What sets you apart from your competition? If the customer will give you a try you may win a customer for life. If not, you are BETTER OFF w/o that customer. Trust me on this one. I cannot survive with your pricing structure, but with additional sales of other services in the home, I'm sure you can do well. To this day many Americans have never hired a professional cleaner and 10's of thousands have had very bad experiences with poor quality services or shysters out to steal their money. I work extremely hard to focus on the quality of the work I do and my personal integrity. I believe I charge extremely fair for the level of work and expertise I bring to the table.

Low ballers think people are a means to get what they WANT, which is money and what money can buy. A real SERVICE is to give people what they NEED at a fair price based on your knowledge of what YOUR SERVICE is actually worth. "The laborer is worthy of his hire." (Luke 10:7) "In all labor there is profit, but the talk of the lips tends only to poverty." (Proverbs 14:23) There HAS to be profit or you will be laboring for nothing or you won't be laboring long at all because you will go under.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mama Fen and WMCCR

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
First of all I like your van decals, it is not busy, clean and simple.

In a situation like that you need to point out things that will convince the customer that your service is much more superior and adds more value then the other cheapo services. I have a list of mine that i have memorized, I also charge 50 a room up to 150sqft. In this list I have what will include for 50 a room, I go over with the customer and if he she still doesn't get it then I loose the customer but I do an attempt. Here is what is been included, pre vac, sanitization to kill odor causing bacteria, deodorizer, pre spray, spot/stain removal up to 5 per room, using soft water, using a rinsing agent to balance the ph level to leave softer fibers, high heat, carpet dries in 4-6 hours. Usually if the customer is convinced they will stop me at half the way and will book.... The cheaper services will not even include half of what I have listed.

True clean

Aug 15, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Jerry Hendry
Business Location
United States
People who are strictly price shoppers for services need to have their head examined. I'm a price shopper myself. I like to get good quality at a reasonable price or a fair price. Who on earth doesn't? I purchased a new pump for my fresh water supply this past week for 68 bucks and free S & H. Another site had the exact same one for 111.00 and I'm not sure if S & H was free. No brainer IMHO.

Now back to the subject on hand. It is RADICALLY DIFFERENT when you're being a price shopper for a SERVICE than for merchandise. There are unscrupulous services out there that charge a literal arm and a leg for their services and do a lousy job. I could name names, but I won't. You get what you pay for is almost a CERTAINTY when you get a low-baller service. I've seen it over and over and over through the years. Low ballers tend to use the low ball price as a method to get through the potential marks door, notice I didn't say, customer, then double or triple the over the phone quote. That my friend has been going on all over the U.S. probably since carpet cleaning started. The same applies to virtually ALL SERVICES performed in the home.

Price shoppers must be CONVINCED that YOUR SERVICE is better and that you are honest and ethical in your dealings. That must be done w/o criticizing or naming your competition even though some may deserve it. Focus on what YOU OFFER and why your service is worth that extra 50 or even several hundred bucks. What sets you apart from your competition? If the customer will give you a try you may win a customer for life. If not, you are BETTER OFF w/o that customer. Trust me on this one. I cannot survive with your pricing structure, but with additional sales of other services in the home, I'm sure you can do well. To this day many Americans have never hired a professional cleaner and 10's of thousands have had very bad experiences with poor quality services or shysters out to steal their money. I work extremely hard to focus on the quality of the work I do and my personal integrity. I believe I charge extremely fair for the level of work and expertise I bring to the table.

Low ballers think people are a means to get what they WANT, which is money and what money can buy. A real SERVICE is to give people what they NEED at a fair price based on your knowledge of what YOUR SERVICE is actually worth. "The laborer is worthy of his hire." (Luke 10:7) "In all labor there is profit, but the talk of the lips tends only to poverty." (Proverbs 14:23) There HAS to be profit or you will be laboring for nothing or you won't be laboring long at all because you will go under.
Wand wizard, Great reply Thank you for the wisdom and advise. I am looking into offering a 3 tier good,better,best package to potential customers. Starting with Best package, then working my way down from there. I saw a statistic that 78% will choose the better or best package. It keeps me from having to up sell when I arrive. Any thoughts on that approach?

Reactions: WMCCR

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Wand wizard, Great reply Thank you for the wisdom and advise. I am looking into offering a 3 tier good,better,best package to potential customers. Starting with Best package, then working my way down from there. I saw a statistic that 78% will choose the better or best package. It keeps me from having to up sell when I arrive. Any thoughts on that approach?
That didn't work out for me, because people want to know the exact price over the phone, I have lost lots of customers over the phone introducing these packages until I have realized it's that it doesn't work. Now I give them an accurate quote over the phone and I do mention when the price will increase when there are tons of stains, heavy build up of soil rat nasty and filtration lines will increase the price. They know this over the phone.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I think some have used that successfully. I do sq. ft. pricing and have for over 25 years. I can't really give advice on that particular pricing method you mentioned.There are some guys on here much more business wise than I'll ever be. The primary downfall of sq. ft. pricing is it often involves an actual in home estimate which for some cleaners just isn't feasible. It is by far my preferred method even if I have to travel a few miles to land the job. Referrals from existing customers will definitely tend to get you better paying jobs. Customers who call you because they are seeking the lowest price are harder to land the job and really suffer from stinkin thinkin. They actually think they will get the exact same degree of service for a lot less money. Almost w/o fail that will not be true. Believe me, I had to learn that lesson myself the hard way from hiring a particular contractor to do work for me. Boy oh boy was it ever a HUGE and COSTLY mistake!!! Making sure your existing customers know all the services you provide is also important. You might be surprised at all the work lost simply because the customer doesn't even know you do it.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
You're better off deciding what kind of cleaner you want to be based on your values and ethics.

If you want to be a $50 a room cleaner you will get less jobs but they will be higher quality customers and good referrals.

If you want to be a budget $30 splash n dash cleaner you'll have to do more volume, thus things like Groupon.

I'm watching a local company here that has been dying the last two years. He finally lowered his prices to about $35 a room. His schedule looks full online, but hes lucky if hes doing $400-$500 a day with 3-4 jobs.

Meanwhile we do about 1-2 jobs a day currently and with the same $400-$500 (our schedule could handle 1-2 more jobs for the day)

Reactions: Fedri

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I also know a budget cleaner who buys small Van's and only uses portables. $30 a room group on specials.

He runs about 5 trucks and claims he does well due to the volume and cheaper maintenance etc

Reactions: True clean

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
thats the problem. People think that all carpet cleaning companies are the same so all they have to go by is price.

True clean

Aug 15, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Jerry Hendry
Business Location
United States
You're better off deciding what kind of cleaner you want to be based on your values and ethics.

If you want to be a $50 a room cleaner you will get less jobs but they will be higher quality customers and good referrals.

If you want to be a budget $30 splash n dash cleaner you'll have to do more volume, thus things like Groupon.

I'm watching a local company here that has been dying the last two years. He finally lowered his prices to about $35 a room. His schedule looks full online, but hes lucky if hes doing $400-$500 a day with 3-4 jobs.

Meanwhile we do about 1-2 jobs a day currently and with the same $400-$500 (our schedule could handle 1-2 more jobs for the day)
I have a $125 3 room special. It’s funny the pushback even on that price.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah, well you cant blame the customer. Honestly, before any of us got into the industry did we really understand what was involved in just cleaning a friggin carpet?

lvtandg

KING of Tile and Grout Cleaning
Apr 16, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
www.lasvegastileandgroutcleaning.com
Real Name
Michael Marcus
Business Location
United States
Hey guys,
I’ve been in business for 12 years. I’m an Owner operator and feel I do Excellent work at a fair price. (5 star rating with over 100 reviews) I’m priced at $50 per room including closets if applicable.
I had a caller today wanting Sunday service. I proceeded to gather his name, email, phone number and service address. I quoted $250 for 5 rooms. He asked about military discount, “10 percent “I said bringing the total to $225. I asked if he’d like to schedule? “No, I’ve got two other quotes for $180 or less. “Great deal” I said and ended the call. I immediately sent him a quote to the email he gave me because you never know if the other companies quotes will change once they arrive.”

My Question to you guys is “ what, if anything could I have done differently to sell my service over the cheap quotes this price shopper had received?”
Get some lipstick on and and assume the position...I'd actually walk and fast...

jason wolfington

Nov 2, 2014
Texas
Real Name
jason wolfington
Business Location
United States
Hey guys,

Nice looking van...can you post a picture of the other side or with the door closed?

Natedavis316

Nov 16, 2016
www.miraclecleanpartners.com
Real Name
Nathaniel Davis
Business Location
United States
Hey guys,

How is the GTXR treating you?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The problem we see around here with a "tiered" pricing system is the perception it sets in the customer's mind.

Picture the three scenarios:

Customer is cheap and gets "good": "Oh man, if I only paid his lowest price, he's gonna do as little as possible. I better hound him to make sure he does everything I can possibly get out of him to get my money's worth. After all, he's capable of "best" work, and since he's in my house I don't CARE what I paid, I want his best work or else."

Customer is cautious and gets "better": "Hmmm, he says this is his middle-of-the-road price... but I bet he'd do an ever better job if I'd bought the pricier package, so I'm probably not getting his best effort here. I'm gonna push him to do better, even if it means threatening a bad review."

Customer is invested and gets "best": "Wow, I paid top dollar for this, he better impress the heck outta me and perform miracles or else I'm gonna go crazy on him. I paid his highest price, so he BETTER give me his best service or else!"

Does it work in some areas? Sure. But around here, it's more troublesome than it might appear on its face.

Think of going to a restaurant and having the same three options - cheap, good, or best - on the menu. No matter which of the three you pick, imagine what would go through your head as you eat. Buyers' remorse can kick in at ANY level of service.

Reactions: SRD

RicksFamilyCarpet

Sep 28, 2015
Real Name
Steven Boyd
I quote by room and let them know my "web special" prices are for moderate soil only, if you just need a good freshening up. If you have visible soil, stains, or pet issues, then we make recommendations based on what we see and smell to get you the best results. When they come back with low ball price I let them know my company has been in business since 1977 and we will be in business next year by doing a great job at fair prices. If they only care about price, try seeing if they can get an even better deal by shopping Groupon, or even rent a rug Dr at Wal-Mart for $39.95 + solution $29.95. But if they want professionally truck mounted hot water extraction @ 230° where we do the work, I'll be happy to make them a life long customer

Reactions: randyg6224