How would you handle this | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How would you handle this

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I got a call to clean an apartment from a tenant. Referred to me by the manager of the building. I booked it not having quoted a price (which is usually what happens) Manager usually lets them know what to expect for billing which I am OK with
Manager just emailed and told me the one bedroom has severe urine issues from her son peeing on the carpet. It can be smelled right through the apartment and she wants me to be aware that my usual OP cleaning is likely not going to cut it. I agree.
My concern is the tenant likely believes the cost will not change.
I told the manager it could be a tear out, disinfect the floor and seal, then lay new underlay and carpet. If thats the case then I am off the hook because I dont have to try and clean.
I also dont want to get into an arguement with the tenant over cost.

What else could I do?
What would you Guys do?
This is booked for Friday 25th July. I have not been in contact with the tenant yet and dont want to because I dont want her to boot me and get someone else that will not be doing the right job for the manager just supplying an invoice/receipt that satisfies the lease requirement to get them professionally cleaned. Although I do understand also that she will be paying the bill not the manager, so strictly speaking she is customer and ethically I need to be on her side. But the dilemma is knowing the manager wants the best job done and really doesnt care what it costs the tenant.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I think I might just clause the invoice no guarantees as to odour removal if carpet is not removed and replaced.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
First, stay calm,

You walk in and be the pros.

You evaluate the situation.

You recommend the proper way to fix the problem.

You price it accordingly and let all parties including the land lord know the additional costs since they seem to be in the loop on this before any work is done. IF you feel like you will NOT be paid or they are gonna argue afterwards, simply collect payment up front.

How this goes will be up to you.
If you go in and explain everything to the customer and why you are going to need to do the extra steps to get the carpet clean and the additional costs for each step or treatment,
You will have no problem.

IF she says what about your other price, point out where you have the basic cleaning price listed on the invoice. Assure her that she is getting that price. However her carpets will need the additional treatments you already covered with her and told her why.

This leaves her in a position where she can now either sign your work authorization forum with the total price including taxes or decline your services. Do this and you will have no problem. If she doesnt pay to get her carpet cleaned, She will then be left paying the landlord for replacement.

So remember if you can save the carpet, you are doing her a big favor. She is doing you no big favor if she wants to argue about price. You have the leverage here.

If you go in and let her run the show, she will walk all over you and you will come out the loooser.

Last edited:

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
First, stay calm,

You walk in and be the pros.

You evaluate the situation.

You recommend the proper way to fix the problem.

You price it accordingly and let all parties including the land lord know the additional costs since they seem to be in the loop on this before any work is done. IF you feel like you will NOT be paid or they are gonna argue afterwards, simply collect payment up front.

How this goes will be up to you.
If you go in and explain everything to the customer and why you are going to need to do the extra steps to get the carpet clean and the additional costs for each step or treatment,
You will have no problem.

IF she says what about your other price, point out where you have the basic cleaning price listed on the invoice. Assure her that she is getting that price. However her carpets will need the additional treatments you already covered with her and told her why.

This leaves her in a position where she can now either sign your work authorization forum with the total price including taxes and you will have no problem.

If you go in and let her run the show, she will walk all over you and you will come out the loooser.
Yeah, your last sentence resonates with me. I drove 45 minutes last week to clean a couple bedrooms and "swipe the wand" over two area rugs. The rugs were no way "swipes" and told her. She argued, told me how I should be cleaning them, so I walked.
Yeah, I have all your comments in mind and appreciate you coming back so promptly with a concise "plan of action"
Thats all I believe I need, thanks again.

Reactions: Spazznout

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
...and I never panic or get into it with clients, its just not worth the high blood pressure!

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
OK, so the manager just got back to me. She has been to see the tenant and told her its not a normal clean and that a normal clean will not be accepted.
We are meeting to plan a course of action on Friday.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
...and I never panic or get into it with clients, its just not worth the high blood pressure!
However I have personally had and have had techs have "heated" negotiations with Indian customers. They speak at an increasingly high pitch, and get a little louder as they ask for more adn more discounts. We alway p
OK, so the manager just got back to me. She has been to see the tenant and told her its not a normal clean and that a normal clean will not be accepted.
Kill 2 birds with one stone. Go give an estimate and clean it when you are done with estimate. This job is NOT big enough for all the time you are going to put into it in my opinion if you make another trip out for an estimate before you clean. Go look at it say yes I can clean it for this much, sign here we are starting now. Or tell em, nope, lost cause have a nice day.

Just my opinion though.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
However I have personally had and have had techs have "heated" negotiations with Indian customers. They speak at an increasingly high pitch, and get a little louder as they ask for more adn more discounts. We alway p

Kill 2 birds with one stone. Go give an estimate and clean it when you are done with estimate. This job is NOT big enough for all the time you are going to put into it in my opinion if you make another trip out for an estimate before you clean. Go look at it say yes I can clean it for this much, sign here we are starting now. Or tell em, nope, lost cause have a nice day.

Just my opinion though.
Totally agree. I dont make house calls at all, ever. I will be taking money off someone of on Friday, bet your TM on it!

I usually only go out to view commercial if its in excess of 10k sqft.

Jimmy Hitt

Feb 9, 2014
Ashland City
Real Name
Jimmy Htt
Business Location
United States

Just my opinion though.
Turning this into a Patel thread? Had one last week giving me a hard time. Said over phone it was two rooms, I replied it'll probably be around $100+/-. Well it was two bedroom huge townhomes. L/r D/r combo steps 2 bedrooms n hall.

Long story short I at least got em up to $150 which is a miracle with Patel. But in the middle of negotiations the wife asked me to lower my voice. Turns out, as they got louder I apparently got louder than them. Got pretty heated. And turns out they weren't Indian, they were from Saudi Arabia. They made the Patels seem nice. I just refuse to take $hit from hodgey.

Excuse the reference, I watched Lone Survivor last night. Bada$$ movie!

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
You are not a judge nor a mediator. you are a professional carpet cleaner who is going to asses a job
give your recommendations and take the action that your client approves. Who is your client? the person paying the bill.
it is simple. Who is the manager or what qualifies him / her to say what would be type of cleaning service the carpet cleaner should provide. I don't mean this in a wrong way or to motivate you to make enemies with the manager just think about it this way; If this was a class 3 water loss due to sewer back up, Your recommendation would be remove all drywall, dispose of carpet, carpet padding take some asbestos and mold tests and dry all surfaces. (the list is longer but those will make the point) Once you tell all this to the manager, cost would be an issue, they will ask you to save even the padding; they would avoid proper repairs to keep the cost low regardless of risks to the tenants. In your case, the manager does not care about the cost because she / he is deciding on someone else's dime and is making you, unconsciously, predisposed to find something that perhaps does not exist.

The tenant, of course, will want to save some money for several reasons. They either are irresponsible and don't want to right their wrong or they simply can't afford it. And there you are, not knowing what to do. Ambivalent as to how you should approach this situation.

First thing first; Nobody should tell you what to do but the carpet. Let the carpet tell you exactly what it needs to be clean and healthy and put that on the table.

Don't come in predisposed to take anyone's side. Show up as the professional who will perform the necessary work or make the pertinent recommendations to solve the problem just as the results of a thorough inspection will indicate.

Last but not least, the paying person will decide what he / she wants you to do and pay the consequences of his /' her decision good or bad.
If the manager wants something else (more expensive to be done) he/she should warrant you payment and then deal with the tenant him /herself.

Reactions: ffej

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
The way I see it now that the manager has talked to the tenant is that the tenant now has the opportunity to go into the marketplace and do whatever she likes.
I will be suggesting the correct course of action, for the carpet. The rest is up to them. There are 3 other rooms that will need to be done regardless the child's room and whats decided about that. The fact she (the tenant) has allowed the manager access and discussed it with her suggests I might be painting a darker picture than the reality I might see on Friday.
Regardless, I know what I will be doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinosan

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Update.
I hauled up the carpet and pulled it back in readiness for the manager to see and we could then discuss options. Went back out to the van to start pulling hose. In the mean time the manager arrived.
The urine was right through the carpet and underlay. Before I got a chance to make comment the manager had already told the tenant it was going to be replaced. The tenant was OK with it and I cleaned the rest of the unit.