HOW WOULD YOU CLEAN A RUBBER MAT IN A GYM? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

HOW WOULD YOU CLEAN A RUBBER MAT IN A GYM?

Big Daddy Clean

Oct 31, 2012
Real Name
Thomas
I was asked to clean a Gym mat.... about 100' x 100' feet....
You know people walk on that barefooted and sweat all over those mats
while working out.... I guess they should be cleaned & disinfected periodically....

The mat is red.... This mat is from a Karate place.....
How should I clean it?
How much heat should I use?
Should I use my Tile & Grout surface tool? Sx-12 Hydramaster.
Or maybe just a wand?
Can I use Grease Eater Pre-spray on it?
What would be best way to aggitate, safely...
Has anybody cleaned a rubber mat?

I dont want to melt it... or destroy it.... or scratch it up.... It does have a vinyl shiney cover.
It is a dense mat, you would see at a Karate shop or a Gymnastics Gym......

Reactions: Cowboyjones

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
www.louiescarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States
Don't use your wand and tmount to clean it. Clean it with a large microfiber mop and Benefect or Microban and you'll be fine. You don't want to over wet that foam as it will just suck us moisture if you get it beyond the top vinyl layer. If you do over wet the foam layer it is going to hold moisture and be a breeding ground for bacteria and then you'll have a worse situation then what you started with.

If you use Microban I would recommend recleaning the mat after a ten minute waiting period due to the residual leftover of Microban. With Benefect you won't have the problem.

Big Daddy Clean

Oct 31, 2012
Real Name
Thomas
Don't use your wand and tmount to clean it. Clean it with a large microfiber mop and Benefect or Microban and you'll be fine. You don't want to over wet that foam as it will just suck us moisture if you get it beyond the top vinyl layer. If you do over wet the foam layer it is going to hold moisture and be a breeding ground for bacteria and then you'll have a worse situation then what you started with.

If you use Microban I would recommend recleaning the mat after a ten minute waiting period due to the residual leftover of Microban. With Benefect you won't have the problem.
I think its impervious to water..... Closed cell dense foam rubber
Rob senior told me he used a Cimex.... I dont have one...:rolleyes:

If I go in there with a mop and a pail..... the guy wont pay me my askin' price....
He thinks I need the Truckmount and my special tools........

TheBeast

Mar 30, 2011
Kentucky
monsterclean.us
Real Name
Dave Chrisman
Business Location
United States
I clean weight lifting rubber mats like tile with a spinner and enzyme prespray. Don't know if you're talking about the same type though. I got a spare piece of the stuff to take back to the shop and play with before I cleaned for the customer.

Decker

Jan 3, 2011
TX
deckerscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Mike Decker
Business Location
United States
http://deckerscarpetcleaning.com/cleaning-a-rubber-gym-floor/

I used Taski Profi mopped on,
scrubbed with soft nylon carpet brush on a 175,
rinsed with low psi with the carpet wand (may not work well with the coin bumps - maybe tile spinner or shop vac and mop off? Spinner stuck too much for me on the flat floor),
sprayed on a light encap,
and buffed with white pad.

Big Daddy Clean

Oct 31, 2012
Real Name
Thomas

rinsed with low psi with the carpet wand (may not work well with the coin bumps - maybe tile spinner or shop vac and mop off? Spinner stuck too much for me on the flat floor),
I like your website.... Nice before & after pics....
Im concidering using my sx-12 surface spinner..... on low pressure.
I dont see how it can damage?

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
A CRB tool like the Whittaker, Rotowash, Brush Pro works really well on rubber mats.

Reactions: Decker

Mother Hubbard

Jan 12, 2013
Real Name
Shawn
I would use the spinner as well like you are thinking at low psi I would test the chemicle to make sure that it isn't going to strip any type of top coating off of the mat that dulls it out after it dryies out.!

Nick P

Sep 30, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Nick Palumbo
Business Location
United States
If your talking about the 2"=4" mats in a dojo. do not use a spinner on them or rotary. I've owned 3 dojo's in my time and I always did my mats by hand, Now MF will work well. I always use a disenfectant cleaner let it sit to let it work then wipe it down with a dry MF and fan dry. JMO

Decker

Jan 3, 2011
TX
Real Name
Mike Decker
Business Location
United States
Obviously there are floors that this type of cleaning would be appropriate for, and there are floors that should not be cleaned this way. I spoke with a floor manufacturer of a similar floor and with the folks that sold me the Taski Profi from California.

I did two floors like this through a construction company. One was covered in GUM spots and one they trashed with drywall dust they couldn't remove by mopping. (I also cleaned only the red border of the carpet, but not the main black part and 3 inches of carpeted baseboard.)

I kept it low pressure, tested first, and tried my spinner. For me, the spinner stuck to the floor, too much suction! The wand was easy and did a great job.

Decker

Jan 3, 2011
TX
Real Name
Mike Decker
Business Location
United States

I grabbed that from another thread here...
http://www.truckmountforums.com/threads/perilli-rubber-flooring-fun-times.40636/#post-478106

Decker

Jan 3, 2011
TX
Real Name
Mike Decker
Business Location
United States
I like your website.... Nice before & after pics....
Thanks!!

I dont see how it can damage?
You can leave too much water and create a mold or smell problem. You can also scar the rubber with too much pressure. Water can get through the seams and under the mat causing it to come up off of the floor.

I'm sure other guys may have some cautions as well.

Big Daddy Clean

Oct 31, 2012
Real Name
Thomas
I would use the spinner as well like you are thinking at low psi I would test the chemicle to make sure that it isn't going to strip any type of top coating off of the mat that dulls it out after it dryies out.!
I agree ... I cleaned a Marble floor the other day with my sx-12, and stripped the shine off it...It was clean, but the shine was gone....