Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Got this rayon rug in yesterday. How would you clean it?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Suggesting replacement is certainly the way to get the best possible results, lol. Along with firing their interior designer.

If customer wants it cleaned, however, I'd do a vacuum top and bottom (with beater bar turned off), encap it with white brushes with a VERY mild peroxide booster, vacuum again once it's dry, groom it into shape, and let them know that anything more aggressive risks permanent damage. I'd also suggest a solvent-based protectant to prevent the worst of the possible (probable) staining down the road.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I use a dry cleaner if the rug is in good shape spotless. Vacuum nicely then spray the dry cleaner agitate very gently using the wand and then extract only the dry cleaner from the carpet using the wand.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I do a very light pretreat
Viscos and rayon rugs are a hassle to clean, I always tell them to replace it.
What if it cost them 10 or 20 grand? That's not out of the question from what I understand. Those things can be cleaned with very low moisture and attention to detail. I've cleaned them with a Sapphire upholstery tool and put fans on it right away making sure it's all groomed carefully. Some of these rugs are being sold as though they were real silk and some cost very significant amounts. The public is being ripped off by unscrupulous rug dealers who know exactly what they're selling and all the problems that go along with them.

Most of the ones I've run into personally were in the 1 to 2 grand range. Still, I inform the customer what they have and what I can do before proceeding. If heavily soiled or stain I almost certainly will turn it down. These are not dining room or playroom rugs that's for sure! In most cases, if not all, your GL insurance will not cover any damage to anything you're working on so beware. If it's a really high dollar rug and I don't feel comfortable cleaning it then I suggest a rug plant. Here is a short video showing how Hydramaster recommends. It's not far from what I do since I only clean rugs on site.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
too much risk very little reward
Agree. I've taken on so many stupid jobs over the years. COUNTLESS hours wasted trying to be so careful to not damage something that was almost impossible to clean, when I was also missing phone calls for jobs that would've been putting cash in my pocket, and making my business even more reputable.