How to Winterize my 2010 Sapphire Scientific 454?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 18, 2017
Real Name
Arthur Drown
I am in need of instructions on how to winterize this unit. I understand that it involves close to 3 gallons of antifreeze, but I don't have the manual so I am not exactly sure what the process is. Any tips hints on where to find instructions or even direct instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
You can contact the manufacturer for a copy of the manual.

Do you intend to winterize and put into storage for a few months or will you still be using it daily and just need to protect from freezing when not in use?

Oct 18, 2017
Real Name
Arthur Drown
You can contact the manufacturer for a copy of the manual.

Do you intend to winterize and put into storage for a few months or will you still be using it daily and just need to protect from freezing when not in use?
The plan is for weatherization to sit in storage through the winter season

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
So first off, you have a little bit of a challenge. The 454 has a pressurised water box. You will need to drain as much of that water as you can. Then you need to add antifreeze to the water box and cycle it through the machine.
Honestly, call Sapphire tech support. They can help you out tremendously. Ask for Scott Harlib

Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
So first off, you have a little bit of a challenge. The 454 has a pressurised water box. You will need to drain as much of that water as you can. Then you need to add antifreeze to the water box and cycle it through the machine.
Honestly, call Sapphire tech support. They can help you out tremendously. Ask for Scott Harlib
He has a fresh water tank. Would he just need to drain all water on tank / water box then pop off hose that comes from fresh water tank that supplies water box and suck up antifreeze and recirculate ? Would be no different than my Titan 575 .

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
He has a fresh water tank. Would he just need to drain all water on tank / water box then pop off hose that comes from fresh water tank that supplies water box and suck up antifreeze and recirculate ? Would be no different than my Titan 575 .
Draining the water box on a Sapphire pressurized water box is a pain. There is no drain valve and you can't stick a hose in it to suck it out.

We would just use a bleeder hose and run the pump out of water, then pour a couple gallons of antifreeze info the water box and recirculate that.

You could use the demand pump to fill the water box, but you still would have to have it empty of water first

Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Draining the water box on a Sapphire pressurized water box is a pain. There is no drain valve and you can't stick a hose in it to suck it out.

We would just use a bleeder hose and run the pump out of water, then pour a couple gallons of antifreeze info the water box and recirculate that.

You could use the demand pump to fill the water box, but you still would have to have it empty of water first
Oh thought there would be a drain for waterbox. My Titan’s does have a drain but if the waterbox runs low the pump will shut off. The 454 doesn’t have this safety feature I guess ?

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Oh thought there would be a drain for waterbox. My Titan’s does have a drain but if the waterbox runs low the pump will shut off. The 454 doesn’t have this safety feature I guess ?
Nope. HM may be the only one still using pump protection circuits.