How to wash old woolen rugs with truckmount?

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
AZ, My best guess is you don't comprehend what you read. Nowhere did I say the value of (A) rug was 175K. What I am stating is to remove soluble soil in a wool rug completely does not require agitation. Have never used agitation to clean wool. Also starting in 1992 I paid and took 7 classes from the IICUC b4 it became IICRC. Then it was brought about that if one doesn't pay a yearly renewal fee for each certification it would not be acknowledged. An thus I moved forward and never looked back. Ron Saunders owned the shop, several classes Bob Whittcamp taught. The color class was taught by Ernest David of Americolor, don't remember the others. So, if having attended the classes means anything relevant to what we do in the field, and they don't only the fundamentals, I think I would qualify!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I have never needed agitation to clean a wool rug whether we were topically cleaning it or submersion cleaning it. I just cleaned 5 rugs of which 2 were silk valued at $175,000. I don't care if or how John Lennon's rugs were cleaned.
This is where you gave the impression that the 2 silk rugs were valued at $175k. Since you didn't specify "total" or "each", the statement is open to interpretation.

For reference, you have said over and over that you, personally, have never agitated wool. That doesn't mean that anyone who ever has is wrong. Every rug is different.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
This is where you gave the impression that the 2 silk rugs were valued at $175k. Since you didn't specify "total" or "each", the statement is open to interpretation.

For reference, you have said over and over that you, personally, have never agitated wool. That doesn't mean that anyone who ever has is wrong. Every rug is different.
I completely agree Mama,
he did give the impression that the rugs he cleaned had a high value.

Its cool though we are humans we make mistakes.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
AZ, My best guess is you don't comprehend what you read. Nowhere did I say the value of (A) rug was 175K. What I am stating is to remove soluble soil in a wool rug completely does not require agitation. Have never used agitation to clean wool. Also starting in 1992 I paid and took 7 classes from the IICUC b4 it became IICRC. Then it was brought about that if one doesn't pay a yearly renewal fee for each certification it would not be acknowledged. An thus I moved forward and never looked back. Ron Saunders owned the shop, several classes Bob Whittcamp taught. The color class was taught by Ernest David of Americolor, don't remember the others. So, if having attended the classes means anything relevant to what we do in the field, and they don't only the fundamentals, I think I would qualify!
Sorry but you did give that impression and I dare say did mention
"I just cleaned 5 rugs of which 2 were silk valued at $175,000. "

Perhaps you meant $1,750.00 or $175.00?
I don't know, I guess it doesn't matter anymore

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
5 rugs of which 2 were silk valued at 175k. Pretty self explanatory. Sorry yous got something confused. The silk rugs were 40k each(10x7). We do a few hundred wool rugs each year. The most expensive rug I ever cleaned was a 16x28 braided and tufted cotton rug with a smaller one matching. Best I can remember it was about 60k and 20k for the smaller one. Just cleaned an imported set of cotton furniture with water stains valued at 20K plus shipping from Italy for sofa, 2 chairs with matching ottomans.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
5 rugs of which 2 were silk valued at 175k. Pretty self explanatory. Sorry yous got something confused. The silk rugs were 40k each(10x7).
Okay, Conan the Grammarian is stepping in here.

This is NOT self-explanatory.

"Two rugs were silk, valued at $175k each" would be self-explanatory.

"Five rugs totaling $175k value, 2 of which were silk" would be self-explanatory.

If you want to make other posters feel inferior because your cleaning is better, that's fine. But being deliberately vague in your communication and then saying "sorry you got confused" is rather snide.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Sorry was not saying others cleaning is or was inferior. Just stating WE do things differently as we always have, and get results not normally found in the cleaning industry. Do I push the envelope, YES, absolutely in an effort to promote one to review their own results as you might be surprised.
We constantly get asked about our cleaning (carpets) and get told the stains always return when they have had rugs cleaned in the past. Most of these people have moved from the north to Florida. Even was told last week the carpets we were cleaning should be replaced because the stains will never come out (northerners renting home here). When we were finished they couldn't understand what we just did. This is not meant to put anyone's cleaning down, just check your work regularly after it dries. Call your client and ask them about the stains and soiled areas a few months AFTER the cleaning. Listen to what they say. We do and document with pictures. We back up our claims with proof in their buildings BUT there is a substantial cost difference from vlm or the norm hwe cleaning they have come accustomed too. There is a difference! A dirty disorganized truck is a dead giveaway to the quality of one's work.

Last edited:

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
It may be possible to remove soluble soils without agitation. Just let the rug sit in the solvent for sufficient time. of course, the solution may or may not harm the rug.

Insoluble soils frequently require agitation to separate them from entanglement with fibers.

Agitation comes in many forms. It is not always mechanical agitation. Water pressure can be agitation. A rake or grooming tool can be used for manual agitation. I suspect that some form of agitation is used for cleaning almost any rug with moderate or heavy soil.

I took a few classes from Bob Whittkamp at Ron's place. Also taught there a few times.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Where’s the pics we were curious?

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
You said endlessly you never have to, and it was $175000
Ok now it makes more sense.... I think

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Okay, Conan the Grammarian is stepping in here.

This is NOT self-explanatory.

"Two rugs were silk, valued at $175k each" would be self-explanatory.

"Five rugs totaling $175k value, 2 of which were silk" would be self-explanatory.

If you want to make other posters feel inferior because your cleaning is better, that's fine. But being deliberately vague in your communication and then saying "sorry you got confused" is rather snide.
Hot DAMN!!,
Got to love Mama.
Took you to school, by the hand!!