How to wash old woolen rugs with truckmount?

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
And I will ask why is it you find so important to remove loose fibers that belong to the rug in the first place? Those fibers belong there all that matters is they be clean. Just like a staple fiber nylon loosing it's fibers. Everytime it's vacuumed you will remove fiber. It happens, and you nor anyone else will ever stop it until the rugs looses all its fibers.
In all due respect we're not talking about nylon!!!!
Often times after cleaning a finite wool rug if the previously broke loose fibers are not removed during the cleaning process
They will be by the customer every time they walk on it they'll be leaving a trail of little tiny hairs but you would know that you're supposedly the best lol

yes they originally belong to the rug but through decades of being walked on they break loose and need removed by a professional
Please go to school!!!!

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I really would love to see this $175000 Rug. You’d not mention it’s expense if it wasn’t rare. I’m certain if you did a proper pre inspection you documented the rug? Let’s see pics?
There are some who say formal education isn’t needed, but this is a excellent example of why education is important.
I guess every rug washing plant all across the world has it wrong.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Even not collectors grade rugs I take endless pics of to document its condition before picking it up. If I did a $175000 Rug I’d be a idiot to not have endless pics of it. This was just one of the rugs I picked up today. If you want to be bored I can post a lot of pics and this is only a paki.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Even not collectors grade rugs I take endless pics of to document its condition before picking it up. If I did a $175000 Rug I’d be a idiot to not have endless pics of it. This was just one of the rugs I picked up today. If you want to be bored I can post a lot of pics and this is only a paki.
Photo and toe tag every single rug
As well as write up a full evaluation with complete paperwork!!!

obviously someone is just talkin like they know what they're talking about but doesn't have actual experience or training

It's kind of sad cuz he could learn a lot
IMG_20180424_234946_687~5.jpg
IMG_20180817_221437_329~2.jpg

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Take a rug class
Best money he could spend
Or just asked to work with a guy like me I'd be more than happy to help somebody out there's enough dirt out there for everybody

Making blatant and inaccurate statements based on a lack of knowledge. Is both unprofessional and confusing.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I find no shame in asking questions, taking classes, and listening to those who have knowledge. I was talking to a Iranian guy, who is many many generations into rugs. It’s amazing how much you learn when you listen instead of saying “I don’t care” I’ve learned most successful people crave knowledge, many who not successful find knowledge to be repulsive.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Actually I said take a rug class, but should of said classes. The amount of knowledge can’t be all taken in on one class. I’m excited to be flying out to my next rug class. It’s funny when you learn and educate yourself how foolish some people seem and yet they always come back with how successful and expert they are.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Remember to be respectful of each other, guys, you're professionals. The peter-measuring contest isn't doing anyone any favors.

In regards to agitation - wool is sensitive to friction, yes. Over time, even if damage isn't immediately visible, the rug will break down faster than it would otherwise. Many older, high-quality rugs can have lifespans in the hundreds of years when cared for properly. Too much agitation or cleaning pH that is too aggressive can cut that lifespan in half or less.

Try looking at wool from an insect's point of view:

That lovely corrugated texture of the cuticle (the outside of the fiber) is what gives wool its warmth and its durability. It also tend to "felt", or lock together into a padded bundle, when agitated. This is great for clothing, but not so hot for a rug.

When looking at fibers and fabrics with SEM imagery, you can easily see the difference in texture and what agitation can do to fiber bundles:

And eventually, when this happens, the damage is visible to the naked eye and can be felt with the hand:

So we must decide between the lesser of two evils - do we leave abrasive non-soluble soils like sand in the rug that will eventually "grind away" that lovely textured cuticle? Or do we risk light, lubricated (ie, wet) agitation to remove those soils and preserve the cuticle... and thus extend the life of the rug?

It's always a judgement call, and it depends on many factors - soil load (how much), types of soil present (what kind), condition and stability of rug fibers (are they already damaged), environmental influence, and much more.

It's easy to armchair quarterback these rugs, but when it comes down to science, the evidence is irrefutable.

Agitation damages rugs.

But so does soil.

One is outside of the professional cleaner's control - the other is completely within our power to control. That decision must be made every time a rug cleaning is approached.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Sounds good, again as was said before the term wool rug isn’t decisive. But we steered to what most professionals consider to be high quality common wool oriental rugs. And each and every rug must be given a proper pre inspection to determine that particular rugs best cleaning method to say agitation isn’t needed across the road is absurd and defys common practice by just about every known industry rug washing professional. However again, there are plenty of cases agitation is not the best method. Broad generalities as found on forums are easily argumentive.
I agree too much friction can damage any fiber. I don’t think any wash pit is dry scrubbing a wool rug. The first step in Cleaning wool is flood the fiber with water.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
@Mama Fen its late in the day so you may not get this ASAP. But can I use that fiber photo you posted?

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013
Actually I said take a rug class, but should of said classes. The amount of knowledge can’t be all taken in on one class. I’m excited to be flying out to my next rug class. It’s funny when you learn and educate yourself how foolish some people seem and yet they always come back with how successful and expert they are.
Hey AZ. Where do you go for area rug classes? I occasionally clean area rugs with Wool Perfect, a dye lock and HWE, but know that what I'm doing is purely topical.

I'm in NorCal and have a credit with Southwest that's burning a hole in my pocket. Flying somewhere to learn stuff sounds like the perfect vacation right now.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
@Scott W here on TMF has one coming this summer in Orlando. I’d go if I could to that one, He’s a expert and retired but this is his last class I believe. Message Scott.
If your looking for something closer go to Bridgepoints website and see when they are offering a class in CA. I took Scott’s class with Doug Heifernan in San Diego. But I think his Orlando class is his last.
I’m going to Michigan this summer as well but for a dual event Rug Plant with Tom Monahan, And Doug Heifernan. Then dye class with Chris Howell.
They hold classes all over the USA. The hands on ones I feel are best.

Reactions: Joshua Johnson

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013
@Scott W here on TMF has one coming this summer in Orlando. I’d go if I could to that one, He’s a expert and retired but this is his last class I believe. Message Scott.
If your looking for something closer go to Bridgepoints website and see when they are offering a class in CA. I took Scott’s class with Doug Heifernan in San Diego. But I think his Orlando class is his last.
I’m going to Michigan this summer as well but for a dual event Rug Plant with Tom Monahan, And Doug Heifernan. Then dye class with Chris Howell.
They hold classes all over the USA. The hands on ones I feel are best.
Awesome. I'll contact Scott. Thank you.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Here is the info on the rug class coming up in Orlando. Dates are May 14th - 16th. There is a $100 discount if you sign up by the end of next week.

If you have specific questions let me know. Here is the schedule for all our rug classes this year. Only two left. My class in Orlando and another in Raleigh NC. Good classes don't come around very often. We did California, Seattle and Kansas City the last two years.
Class calendar link - https://www.cvent.com/c/calendar/ab53c6cb-fee0-44a6-a384-c51a2a4b32c0

RugWashing for Facebook 5.14.19.jpg

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Just a quick thought about “damaging” fibers on a quality wool rug.
Check out the brushes on my brush pro after only a few months of use.

Which is tougher, Wool, vs Synthetic Brush Pro Brushes!

If we’re damaging wool, why are my brush pro brushes wearing down so fast washing wool. Wool is one of the toughest fibers there is. That’s why quality wool rugs can last hundreds of years.

Are using 175s with black pads?