How to wash old woolen rugs with truckmount?

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
If you are calling ME ignorant because of no agitation, I will state that if you need agitation for cleaning a wool rug you haven't a clue what your doing! Why would you introduce any wear (and yes your agitation causes wear) to any valuable rug. If one uses agitation by means of a rotary it voids warranty of nylon carpets. Certain models of Dyson vacuums also voided carpet warranties because they were too aggressive. NO AGITATION IS NEEDED FOR CLEANING WOOL RUGS!
Nobody was calling you ignorant. But nylon your right on dysons, and warranty. Your right about nylon and rotory tools and warranty. But wool isn’t nylon. I’m doubting you have visited many successful wash pits (plants). Name a single known successful wash pit that doesn’t agitate wool when hand washing. John Lennon’s Rug was just cleaned that sat under his piano by one of the industries most well respected wool rug washer scrubbing it with a 175
Scott Warrington one of this forum most esteemed members and rug experts in the field who teaches rug washing agitates rugs using CRBs. How do you possible get out latent fibers rinsing them?
The way your right is IF your discussing very loose weaves, poorly made, or fragile textile.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
John Lennon’s Rug from the Dakota Bldg getting washed a few weeks back. Hasn’t been moved in over thirty years. Kerman

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I have never needed agitation to clean a wool rug whether we were topically cleaning it or submersion cleaning it. I just cleaned 5 rugs of which 2 were silk valued at $175,000. I don't care if or how John Lennon's rugs were cleaned. There is no reason to subject that expensive of a rug to a scrubber or agitation of any kind. We don't clean with agitation, it's all chemistry! And yes I restore many rugs that the value is long gone due to condition. And if names are your game I work regularly for several billionaires that their rugs and furniture are worth more than the total net worth of a working man. I have cleaned wool Rugs that were 28ft long and weighed about 600 or 700 pounds. All custom made cleaned by yours truely.

Last edited:

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I have never needed agitation to clean a wool rug whether we were topically cleaning it or submersion cleaning it. I just cleaned 5 rugs of which 2 were silk valued at $175,000. I don't care if or how John Lennon's rugs were cleaned. There is no reason to subject that expensive of a rug to a scrubber or agitation of any kind. We don't clean with agitation, it's all chemistry! And yes I restore many rugs that the value is long gone due to condition.
Ok.......maybe you “never” knew you needed it!

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Let’s see some pics of you washing your $175000 rugs

Reactions: sbsscn

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
If you are calling ME ignorant because of no agitation, I will state that if you need agitation for cleaning a wool rug you haven't a clue what your doing! Why would you introduce any wear (and yes your agitation causes wear) to any valuable rug. If one uses agitation by means of a rotary it voids warranty of nylon carpets. Certain models of Dyson vacuums also voided carpet warranties because they were too aggressive. NO AGITATION IS NEEDED FOR CLEANING WOOL RUGS!
I'm trying to address this in a way that you won't find insulting
What to be ignorant of something shouldn't be an insult a lack of knowledge is known as ignorant it's in a dictionary
I've been cleaning high-end textiles for well over 20 years And was taught by a master textile cleanerwith many generations of experience greater than mine
As well as hit Master status within the icrc

Let me first address your statement how about hasn't got a clue lol
in what my area I have a waiting list for rugs to make it into my wash plant and I command top dollar I even have museums to travel to my wash plant to have high and tapestries as well as wall hangings and paintings cleaned.
Will you please show me where I can reach your level of experience lol(YouTube)

yes correct improper cleaning does cause wear
so if an ignorant cleaner does not properly remove the soil before I have a chance to get to it and need to use harsher methods such as agitation and that is what's necessary to make the rug clean.

As far as your statement about warranty none of these roads have warranty some of them are even several hundred years old I currently have a Tibetan column rap dating to 1704 That we are clear cleaning and adding a cotton fringing as well as fixing all the a tear are you sure be helpful if you could let me know the warranty resource in order for me to contact them so they can help me find the proper repair techniques (Wait I'm an expert) lol

I have been to mr. Petpeepee facility

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Love to see how simple chemistry could possibly clean the bottom of the wool paki I picked up today. Things atleast 1/2 thick

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Next thing will be the gas leaf blower idea again

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I have never needed agitation to clean a wool rug whether we were topically cleaning it or submersion cleaning it. I just cleaned 5 rugs of which 2 were silk valued at $175,000. I don't care if or how John Lennon's rugs were cleaned. There is no reason to subject that expensive of a rug to a scrubber or agitation of any kind. We don't clean with agitation, it's all chemistry! And yes I restore many rugs that the value is long gone due to condition. And if names are your game I work regularly for several billionaires that their rugs and furniture are worth more than the total net worth of a working man. I have cleaned wool Rugs that were 28ft long and weighed about 600 or 700 pounds. All custom made cleaned by yours truely.
Insured value of the rug under the coffee table is 200000 retail value they paid 82000 I can prove what I do how about you!!!
IMG_20180426_225603_637~2.jpg
20190201_112429~7.jpg
IMG_20180413_171533_793~2.jpg

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Its amazing the black pad left no streaks!

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
My statement of warranty wasn't addressed to the warranty of a rug, it was stated as fact of warranty for cut pile carpets as to the damage done to fiber resulting from said type of equipment. Any agitation creates friction which results in wear to a fiber. Wool being considered the fiber we are speaking of. If you think agitating the top of a thick wool Rug with a rotary is removing soil down inside you are sadly mistaken. Will it pull foreign hair or other fibers from the rug, yes, will it pull soil from the bottom 1/8 or even 1/4" of the pile, NO! Will it work your solution into the pile yes. Yours and any others solution is what does the cleaning. How you get the solution in and out determines how deep of a clean will the solution deliver.

Last edited:

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
My statement of warranty wasn't addressed to the warranty of a rug, it was stated as fact of warranty for cut pile carpets as to the damage done to fiber resulting from said type of equipment. Any agitation creates friction which results in wear to a fiber. Wool being considered the fiber we are speaking of. If you think agitating the top of a thick wool Rug with a rotary is removing soil down inside you are sadly mistaken.
I’ll advise my clients to remove their shoes before walking on their rugs.. let’s see some pics of your 175000 Rugs I’m interested. I love wool.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
My statement of warranty wasn't addressed to the warranty of a rug, it was stated as fact of warranty for cut pile carpets as to the damage done to fiber resulting from said type of equipment. Any agitation creates friction which results in wear to a fiber. Wool being considered the fiber we are speaking of. If you think agitating the top of a thick wool Rug with a rotary is removing soil down inside you are sadly mistaken.
Will you please move to southern Michigan so you can become my competition

Frankly there is loose fibers that have been broken off over decades walking on the rugoften times those are removed during the dusting process but some may break loose during agitation it is a necessary part of cleaning those are dead loose fibers
You really need to get an education on finite wool cleaning

Or keep doing what you do and move to southern Michigan it would make me very happy

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Funny the last high end gallery I went too the entrance wool rugs were 150+ years old. Talk about agitation. Dragging in every form of dry abrasive soil yet the rugs looked like the day they were made.

Reactions: Ymetimme

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
And I will ask why is it you find so important to remove loose fibers that belong to the rug in the first place? Those fibers belong there all that matters is they be clean. Just like a staple fiber nylon loosing it's fibers. Everytime it's vacuumed you will remove fiber. It happens, and you nor anyone else will ever stop it until the rugs looses all its fibers.