How to tell how old urine stains are? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How to tell how old urine stains are?

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
I've run into an issue with a realtor that uses me services often.

She wants to know if the urine stains that I found are over 12 months old. (Within the time the Tennant's lived there)

The stains came out pretty easily. Suggesting that no one attempted to clean them either because of laziness or they blended in with the carpet. (This has been my experience)

I've had urine stains less than a day old permanently stain the carpet (because the client would use an oxygen based cleaner, or the pup really had to go/marked territory)

I've also had urine stains that were easily removed after 2 years. So, I'm not sure on this one.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Snapchat-425822280.jpg
Snapchat-572582130.jpg

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
They're trying to blame the tennant without proof that this isn't from prior tennant's?
No, the realtor is simply asking my professional opinion, but I'm not quite sure.

I thought maybe there's a secret someone noticed, like... "The brighter it is, the longer it has sat!" (Fisherman voice for some reason) So I just thought I'd ask!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Not really. It will remain wet because of the salts. And your light will still reflect that the stain was there even after cleaning. Sometimes on some carpets it being old it will in fact burn or remove some color.

Reactions: SuckItUp

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If the carpet was cleaned before that tenant moved in there I'd say almost certainly it was from either their animal or one that got in there while they were there. Those stains, particularly in the corner of the first picture, shouldn't look like that after cleaning. I would strongly suspect the tenant had a small dog or a cat. Those actually look more like cat urine stains.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Treated urine, darker/dull tint.
Untreated urine, lighter/bright tint.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Second pic, looks like there was a plant pot or other round object on the floor, and animal peed against it several times. Unless prior tenant left it there, indication would be that animal belonged to most current tenant.

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
New info: The Tennants had a 4 month old pup and a 1 year old pup. I think it's clear from how bright (untreated) the light is that it's theirs for sure. These are just 2 of 6 areas.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Always learn something new from the greats out there!

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
If the carpet was cleaned before that tenant moved in there I'd say almost certainly it was from either their animal or one that got in there while they were there. Those stains, particularly in the corner of the first picture, shouldn't look like that after cleaning. I would strongly suspect the tenant had a small dog or a cat. Those actually look more like cat urine stains.
2 dogs. 4 months and 1 year, actually.

tguthrie

Dec 3, 2011
Huntsville, Alabama
carpetcleaninghuntsville.com
Real Name
Tony Guthrie
Business Location
United States
I've run into an issue with a realtor that uses me services often.

She wants to know if the urine stains that I found are over 12 months old. (Within the time the Tennant's lived there)

The stains came out pretty easily. Suggesting that no one attempted to clean them either because of laziness or they blended in with the carpet. (This has been my experience)

I've had urine stains less than a day old permanently stain the carpet (because the client would use an oxygen based cleaner, or the pup really had to go/marked territory)

I've also had urine stains that were easily removed after 2 years. So, I'm not sure on this one.

Any thoughts or suggestions?View attachment 89582View attachment 89583
What I have found is that depends on the animal itself. Cats ate the worst by far. But dogs are interesting. I have found that bigger dogs tend to leave more easily removable urine stains, regardless of the age of the spot. It's the small dogs that leave the tougher stains. This is just my experience.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
What I have found is that depends on the animal itself. Cats ate the worst by far. But dogs are interesting. I have found that bigger dogs tend to leave more easily removable urine stains, regardless of the age of the spot. It's the small dogs that leave the tougher stains. This is just my experience.
Bigger dogs tend to have more dilute urine; their bodies require more hydration per pound than that of smaller dogs, due to energy expenditure.

Cat urine is not only designed to send 'scent signals' for miles, it's also extremely concentrated stuff. Cats started out as desert animals, and their urinary system developed to conserve as much water as possible within the body. Plus, cats have much more concentrated uric acid in their urine, which is one of the components of pee that is most likely to do damage to carpet fibers AND wood flooring.

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
From my experience, it depends on if they're marking their territory or if they just couldn't hold it.

But, yeah. The size might make sense. Maybe bigger dogs, with their bigger kidneys, break down proteins and leave smaller urine crystals which make is easier to remove?

I'm no expert on animal anatomy, but, maybe?

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
Bigger dogs tend to have more dilute urine; their bodies require more hydration per pound than that of smaller dogs, due to energy expenditure.

Cat urine is not only designed to send 'scent signals' for miles, it's also extremely concentrated stuff. Cats started out as desert animals, and their urinary system developed to conserve as much water as possible within the body. Plus, cats have much more concentrated uric acid in their urine, which is one of the components of pee that is most likely to do damage to carpet fibers AND wood flooring.
I've found cat odor easy to remove, but depending on carpet color, the stain can be a pain.