How to strip protectant??

I T

Dec 5, 2015
Real Name
Marcos Almeda
Hi everybody. So need help with a unique question.

A customer called up and asked today if theres anyway we can clean her new carpets and strip the protectant off her carpet. She stated that the protectant on her carpet has formaldehyde which she is allergic to and if theres anyway to strip it or at least reduce it appreciably.

One thought that comes to mind is of course to clean it with a very high PH cleaner like Flex. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks a lot to everyone taking the time to read/respond to this questions

I T

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
One thought that comes to mind is of course to clean it with a very high PH cleaner like Flex. Anyone else have any other ideas?

That's the way to go.

Tell her by no means can you guarantee 100% removal. In fact being factory applied you will probably have a hard time removing even half of it.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Is she sure it's the protector that's giving her problems and not the off-gassing from the new carpet?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Will ask her that. Anyway to fix the offgassing issue from new carpet?
Generally opening all the windows and letting it air out is best. It may take a couple weeks. Have her keep all her windows open as much as weather permits.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
Will ask her that. Anyway to fix the offgassing issue from new carpet?
Nope...... Time is the only way to fix it.... I've done 1/2 dozen 'off-gassing' jobs for a flooring store..... Clients are NEVER happy with the results...... It seems better for 1/2 to one week, then the client phones back, and says they can still smell it. It's like trying to get rid of the new car smell...... Time.......

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Nope...... Time is the only way to fix it.... I've done 1/2 dozen 'off-gassing' jobs for a flooring store..... Clients are NEVER happy with the results...... It seems better for 1/2 to one week, then the client phones back, and says they can still smell it. It's like trying to get rid of the new car smell...... Time.......
same here , once the customer thinks she smells the carpet smell or formaldehyde you can never satisfy them.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
same here , once the customer thinks she smells the carpet smell or formaldehyde you can never satisfy them.

The sense of smell is very similar to the sense of hearing. Example: You're sitting at a traffic light and all of a sudden you hear a fire engine roaring by, sirens blasting.....the fire truck is now long gone, but you still hear the sirens. Same with smell. It's in the head.

I have a story to tell about this wacky woman (customer) who is/was a total nut job. Long story short.....Once these nuts get it in their head that the smell is still there, you're finished. You'll never convince them, or please them.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I guess I would be afraid to use too high of a ph and then be blamed for voiding any warranty the carpet may have. Check with the manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions before you dig yourself in a hole.
Absolutely!!!

@I T Using Flex or Firestorm WILL void the warranty. Make sure your customer knows this before proceeding.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The sense of smell is very similar to the sense of hearing. Example: You're sitting at a traffic light and all of a sudden you hear a fire engine roaring by, sirens blasting.....the fire truck is now long gone, but you still hear the sirens. Same with smell. It's in the head.

I have a story to tell about this wacky woman (customer) who is/was a total nut job. Long story short.....Once these nuts get it in their head that the smell is still there, you're finished. You'll never convince them, or please them.

For sure. Psycological odor is a very real issue I've had to deal with several times over the years. I have a few regular customers where I have to deal with psycological odor. One of them has me clean her house every 6-8 weeks. I can't smell anything, her husband can't smell anything, it's all in her head.

Reactions: mustangcarpet
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
For sure. Psycological odor is a very real issue I've had to deal with several times over the years. I have a few regular customers where I have to deal with psycological odor. One of them has me clean her house every 6-8 weeks. I can't smell anything, her husband can't smell anything, it's all in her head.
Every 6-8 weeks, I bet it is an easy clean. I would just go along with it and act like I knew what she was talking about unless she is bat crazy.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Every 6-8 weeks, I bet it is an easy clean. I would just go along with it and act like I knew what she was talking about unless she is bat crazy.
once when I was younger I had a Realtor lady that had a skunk in her house and it sprayed,, she cleaned it, had three other carpet companies clean it, when I got there I didn't smell anything but she was convinced, So I cleaned and of course she complained,, I went back and threw the kitchen sink at it,,, no help. So when she called back I said there is a company in England that sells a product called SKUNK OUT (LOL) I had already cleaned her house 2 times myself, so I told her about it and I was going to have to charge her to get the smell out if I bought the product... I went home and got on the computer and made label lol for a gallon jug and I filled the jug with a acid rinse filled it with rubbing alcohol.
She agreed to pay me to clean the carpet with it. So outside in the back of the Van I used the acid rinse and 12 bottles of rubbing alcohol the 90 % ones, filled the rest with water and went in and extracted every inch of that clean carpet, I my feet were squeaking with every step and the smell was strong..... She was the happiest lady in Kingwood texas ever... She still brags on me about that job.

I used to feel guilty about that one !

Reactions: Scott W

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I do not know of any protector that contains formaldehyde or breaks down to formaldehyde. I wonder where the lady got that information.

30 plus years ago there was some carpet adhesives that could break down to formaldehyde, but I am pretty sure they have not been used for American made carpet since 1983 or earlier.

Some adhesives used in foam carpet pad, plywood and OSB could off-gass formaldehyde. But in the USa, those products have not been sued for several eyars. There is some Asian made plywood, OSB and particle board that is reported to have formaldehyde still in the adhesive. SO, it is possible but not common that it could be coming from the flooring.

Carpet still does off-gas 4PC. Retailersa and installers are asked by the manufacturer to let the carpet air out 24 to 48 hours before installing it. But this step is often over-looked. 4 PC is not hramful but does have a distinctive odor that some folks object to.

Off-Gassing can be speed up by getting the carpet or floor warmer and also be ventilation. Some methods have used HWE with super hot water only to speed up the off-gassing or have left the home for a day and turned up the heat as hot as it would go. Afterweard open the indows and use fans.

I feel strongly that it is not ocming from any protector. I think this lady has some wrong information. Probably got it somewhere on the Internet. Politics is not the only topic with fake news.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I do not know of any protector that contains formaldehyde or breaks down to formaldehyde. I wonder where the lady got that information.

30 plus years ago there was some carpet adhesives that could break down to formaldehyde, but I am pretty sure they have not been used for American made carpet since 1983 or earlier.

Some adhesives used in foam carpet pad, plywood and OSB could off-gass formaldehyde. But in the USa, those products have not been sued for several eyars. There is some Asian made plywood, OSB and particle board that is reported to have formaldehyde still in the adhesive. SO, it is possible but not common that it could be coming from the flooring.

Carpet still does off-gas 4PC. Retailersa and installers are asked by the manufacturer to let the carpet air out 24 to 48 hours before installing it. But this step is often over-looked. 4 PC is not hramful but does have a distinctive odor that some folks object to.

Off-Gassing can be speed up by getting the carpet or floor warmer and also be ventilation. Some methods have used HWE with super hot water only to speed up the off-gassing or have left the home for a day and turned up the heat as hot as it would go. Afterweard open the indows and use fans.

I feel strongly that it is not ocming from any protector. I think this lady has some wrong information. Probably got it somewhere on the Internet. Politics is not the only topic with fake news.

Spot on, Scott.