How do I remove without damaging hardwood? If at all possible
8c73b9a49bb489d79f13738d247f9764.jpg

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
That looks like old, disintegrated rubber waffle pad you got there.
Believe it or not, that might not be so hard to get off. Here is how I would attack it and the tools that I would use.

First try to scrape it off using the plastic applicator. It will not scratch the wood floor.
If that doesn't work try using the deck brush to loosen it up. And if that doesn't work, I would grab ole faithful, ie; my orbiter w/ green brush and go to town.

Once I got that dust all swept up and bagged I would then damp mop the floor with a neutral floor cleaner.

* A deck brush
* A plastic applicator like one you would use in a body shop. Think Bondo.
* An Oreck Orbiter with green brush.
* A broom & dust pan

Please let us know how you did. I am interested.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Freakin sucks. It looks like the yellow one glues itself down too. I thought it was only the red. It gets gummy like tar then hardens in place. That yellow one like said above a stiff deck brush breaks it up. Or should. Last one i saw stuck down like that (red) they used drum sander and refinished the floors. They went through a lot of paper though. Boogers it up.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
I had a customer have this scenario one time except it was on tile and grout. It was a pain to remove on tile and grout. Basically had to use pure degreaser and pure de sov all over and over again until it melted the stuff. Good luck

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Yes sir . Richard and Nick are spot on . My experience with this was on a vinyl tile floor but a stiff deck brush worked great . If you don't have an Oreck I would suggest you do what I did on that vinyl tile . Used a plastic applicator and a hair dryer on the tough spots .
Installer was really impressed the floor was so clean . Alas , after joining this forum and seeing many carpets that need restretched because of not " the best " installation I realize he did not do the greatest job .
All the Best, Ed

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Freakin sucks. It looks like the yellow one glues itself down too. I thought it was only the red. It gets gummy like tar then hardens in place. That yellow one like said above a stiff deck brush breaks it up. Or should. Last one i saw stuck down like that (red) they used drum sander and refinished the floors. They went through a lot of paper though. Boogers it up.

is ot possible to use a heat gun to soften the glue? ive used heat guns but not in this particular application

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
is ot possible to use a heat gun to soften the glue? ive used heat guns but not in this particular application

Its not glue. Its the rubber breaking down and sticking itself to another surface like glue. It bonds really well with polyurethane and shellac. Ive seen cheap area rug pads do the same or begin to. But they usally get replaced before they can cause damage. You may have noticed under area rug pads theres a gummy residue that discolors the wood. Thats it beginning to bond to the floor. That waffle pad in op is old as dirt so its had a good long time to stick down. Ive never tried to save one. But we have to get it out before laying new pad. Just odd the yellow one did that. Usually its just swept up. That simple. But i can see in pic the pattern is stuck good.

No good for saving hardwood but if I use this on wood i put blade in backwards so it wont dig. Still scratches though so no good for op's job above. But for getting crap up its an awesome scraper. T rotates makes it nice to use.
a5a4219a5c1014e80ca831b56dcce5e8.jpg

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
NVM ive seen that just never that much. wont that scraper dig in? wonder if a red pad would work on a 175

Its not glue. Its the rubber breaking down and sticking itself to another surface like glue. It bonds really well with polyurethane and shellac. Ive seen cheap area rug pads do the same or begin to. But they usally get replaced before they can cause damage. You may have noticed under area rug pads theres a gummy residue that discolors the wood. Thats it beginning to bond to the floor. That waffle pad in op is old as dirt so its had a good long time to stick down. Ive never tried to save one. But we have to get it out before laying new pad. Just odd the yellow one did that. Usually its just swept up. That simple. But i can see in pic the pattern is stuck good.

No good for saving hardwood but if I use this on wood i put blade in backwards so it wont dig. Still scratches though so no good for op's job above. But for getting crap up its an awesome scraper. T rotates makes it nice to use.
a5a4219a5c1014e80ca831b56dcce5e8.jpg

Reactions: ratfool

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
NVM ive seen that just never that much. wont that scraper dig in? wonder if a red pad would work on a 175

Yeah it does. Not good if subfloor needs to be refinished. Just a great tool for us installers.
Think the brush is best bet like the carpet vet suggested on the oreck. Even possible crb maybe with tile brush. It will get the bulk out of the way. Then maybe degreaser can loosen up the rest for red pad to remove.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Lol i just noticed what i thought was a putty knife in middle of room looks more and more like an old steak knife

Ill tell you for the staples. Put your plyers away. Use flush cut side or diagonal cutters. They grab staples so easily and they dont slip pinching your hand
b49c78f05350c6d4e648653eee8d6d32.jpg
something like these. Just dont cut the staple. Just enough pressure to grip it.

Those are probably too small. Want at least 6" ones.

Last edited:

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
yea i ditched pliers long time ago lol also a small sharp cats paw works well.

Lol i just noticed what i thought was a putty knife in middle of room looks more and more like an old steak knife

Ill tell you for the staples. Put your plyers away. Use flush cut side or diagonal cutters. They grab staples so easily and they dont slip pinching your hand
something like these. Just dont cut the staple. Just enough pressure to grip it.

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick

It was a knife I was using to cut out the carpet. It was handy and worked to start the tear . :)

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
There is a line of adhesive removers by Sentinel that you might look into. Once you find the right one, you can mop it on, give it some dwell time, and then scrub with your red pad and most of the old degraded waffle should come right off. Yes, it will gunk up your pads and you'll need to change them out... but it's a darn sight cheaper than hours of labor doing it by hand, and a lot faster too.

Depending on the type of finish on that wood, it may be damaged and need re-coating, or you might get lucky and be able to use a restorer to soften and heal the surface with a burnishing pad.

http://www.senpro.com/products/adhesive-removers-overview/

Reactions: ratfool