How to remove hard water stains from glass shower doors

Apr 28, 2010
New York
www.mydustclean.com
Real Name
Tony Butcher
Business Location
United States
Hard water stains; a major eyesore on glass.They can also be a pain in the butt to remove sometimes. For mild cases I recommend using simply vinegar,pure lemon juice and baking soda.

1. spray lemon juice directly onto stains and let set for couple minutes

2. mix vinegar and lemon juice in equal parts then add the baking soda to your solution until you get a consistency similar to that of soft scrub.

3.Using a scouring pad apply your mixture to the surface with small circular motions.For the corners you could use a toothbrush. you may hear a light fizzing sound,that would be the baking soda reacting with the liquids.When done rinse and smile.
Prevent new stains by spraying a solution of vinegar and water onto your shower doors frequently.

For tougher stains the most effective approach is the use of Cerium Oxide. You will also need a scrubber pad rated for glass and a spray bottle with water. This method is a bit more tedious by hand but the use of a buffing machine is recommended for pros only.

1. Mix your cerium oxide powder with water until you get a paste like result.(not too thick ,not too runny)

2.Apply to stains with scrubber pad and work in small circular motions. (work only sections at a time)Use the spray bottle to apply water occasionally and to keep paste from drying out. When you are satisfied with results wipe off and rinse section.Repeat procedure on new section of glass until entirely done. Prevent new stains by frequently washing with a solution of vinegar and water.
Mydust Cleaning Services provide clients in New York with an affordable ,non toxic alternative for cleaning home or office. Visit our site for more info and cleaning tips,or call us at: 516 559 7008 or 718 725 7327
http://www.mydustclean.com

SJB

Nov 28, 2010
Idaho
Real Name
Sean J Bauman
Business Location
United States
Is the vinegar - lemon juice - baking soda combo safe to be used on stainless steel? I have found that removing hard water from stainless drinking fountains can be difficult without scratching up the surface.

kineard

Oct 8, 2010
Florida
ktoris.com
Real Name
Arthur Kineard
Business Location
United States
I have had very good luck with a magic sponge.
I use these things on just about everything.
It is fine on stainless steal too
I did have one unit give me hell never got the hard water stains off.

Ob1kanobee

Dec 19, 2010
FL
Real Name
John Smith
Business Location
United States
I have always used Kaboom and it has worked extremely well. Using the lemon juice and vinegar scares me as it is an acid and can damage metal surfaces. Kaboom is damm good stuff.

joeynbgky

Oct 10, 2009
bowling green, ky, Nashville, Tn, Columbus, oh
www.Freshaircleans.com
Real Name
joey upchurch
Business Location
United States
The watkins tile and tub cleaner will do the trick.. just always use a no scratch blue sponge.. the toilet bowl cleaner is awesome as well.. It may be alittle pricey but this stuff works, like nothign else we have ever tried onnsty rental apartments.. Trust me. I have tried everthing.... scrubbign bubbles bleach.. nothing works....... just spray on this stuff and it wipes right off... If anyone tries it tell us what u think.... And its an all natural cleaner
http://www.watkinsonline.com/productdetail.cfm?Product=16788&gcatalogLocale=USA&ECredit=391057

rynophiliac

Dec 6, 2010
Real Name
Ryno Man
Business Location
United States
We do windows all day everyday. By far the best combo for hard water on glass is ultra fine grade steel wool and sorbo hard water remover powder. Make sure you get the ultra fine steel wool (grade #0000), anything else will scratch the glass. Get the glass wet sprinkle the powder on the steel wool and start scrubbing in circles, then clean the glass like normal and the hard water will be gone.

greenj26

Feb 28, 2011
WA
Real Name
Jesse Green
Business Location
United States
I have used sublime which is a clingy acidic cleaner with good results. Unlike clr it is thick and it sticks to vertical surfaces. I think the worse the hard water stains, the stronger the acid you need to use - up to a point. I have never buffed hard water stains out with cerium oxide. Where do you get that stuff?

greenj26

Feb 28, 2011
WA
Real Name
Jesse Green
Business Location
United States
I've heard that bronze wool is better than steel wool as it won't rust and is safer to use on glass. I've seen it for sale on window cleaning supply websites, but I've never used it myself. I had a bad experience with steel wool (yes it was 0000) on tempreed glass before. It left micro-scratches. They say that #0000 won't scratch glass, so maybe it was a layer of tint or something. The window didn't have a sticker identifying it as tempered glass - it was ancient and so probably wore off. I've been afraid of steel wool ever since. Probably just paranoid :)

rynophiliac

Dec 6, 2010
Real Name
Ryno Man
Business Location
United States
I've heard that bronze wool is better than steel wool as it won't rust and is safer to use on glass. I've seen it for sale on window cleaning supply websites, but I've never used it myself. I had a bad experience with steel wool (yes it was 0000) on tempreed glass before. It left micro-scratches. They say that #0000 won't scratch glass, so maybe it was a layer of tint or something. The window didn't have a sticker identifying it as tempered glass - it was ancient and so probably wore off. I've been afraid of steel wool ever since. Probably just paranoid :)

It must have had tint. Some tint is so light its not noticeable. Most tint film is applied to the inside of the glass and most hard water is on the exterior of the glass so tint film should not be a problem. I have been using steel wool for 6 years and it has never left a window anything but crystal clear

Chiquillo

Sep 6, 2008
South Baja / Mexico
Real Name
Osvaldo Trasvina
Business Location
Mexico
IN AUTO DETAIL / HARD WATER STAINS ARE USUAL / I HAVE TRY MANY PRODUCT'S FROM HOME MADE TO ALMOST EVERYTHING

SO FAR / I START USING A PRODUCT CALL / SPOT OFF. IT COMES IN ONE GALLON / THE PRODUCT IS LIKE AN ACID TYPE
BUT NOT THAT STRONG LIKE LET'S SAY WHEEL ACID

A FRIEND BACK FROM L.A / HE RECOMMENDED TO ME. 100% AND SO FAR IT HAS HELP ME A LOT
THE STORE OF MY FRIEND IS CALL / BROTHERS JANITORIAL SUPPLY / NEAR 91FWY

I SITLL HAVE SOME LEFT / NEXT TIME I GIVE YOU THE PHONE NUMBER / AND MORE INFO

THAT WILL REALLY HELP YOU