How to remove brown stain from viscose rug? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How to remove brown stain from viscose rug?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The only thing that sort of looked like silk was the pillow

Bentley

Jan 22, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Real Name
Patrick Bentley
Business Location
United States
Viscose and other varieties of rayon are cellulose material. The cellulose goes through processes that break it down and then regenerate it into a fiber. But it is still plant material. I don't like to get hung-up over defining it as natural or synthetic. It is really something in between.

The original source of the cellulose in the feedstock makes little difference. It can be bamboo. It can be other plant fiber. When rayon was made in the USA, the main feedstock was cotton linters. These cotton scraps were what was available. Now that most rayon / viscose is made in Asia, they use more bamboo because that is more readily available, but cotton is still used.

There is certainly an increase in the volume of rayon / viscose in the market. This includes both area rugs and wall to wall carpet under the Tencel brand name. Something we should all be prepared to handle. When it passes through a designer's hands, this cheap fiber is somehow transformed into an expensive luxury item. You don't want to buy it because of some cleaning issue.
Scott,
I've been on here a while but never really ask questions. I cleaned a viscose white rug that had dog urine on it. Not even realizing it was viscose, I was rinsing the one spot. Tried to dry it fast and it definitely yellowed. Is there ANYTHING that can be done?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scott,
I've been on here a while but never really ask questions. I cleaned a viscose white rug that had dog urine on it. Not even realizing it was viscose, I was rinsing the one spot. Tried to dry it fast and it definitely yellowed. Is there ANYTHING that can be done?

If the issue is only yellowing, a mist of 3% hydrogen peroxide can help. Maybe repeat if needed. Only treat the yellow area. Otherwise you may get some of the surrounding area too white.

Often with animal urine there are other problems such as damage to the fiber or the glue that holds the rug together. Inspect for these problems or you may make the situation worse.

Help your client to understand that viscose is basically paper. It is wood pulp or some other type of cellulose treated with a caustic solution and made into fiber. It is meant to be disposable. Some very cheap rugs are viscose, but also some very high end designer rugs are made of viscose. The buyer may think that high price means quality and something that will last a long time. Not so. Help save your customer from repeating the mistake of buying viscose.

To avoid mistakes like this in the future, attend a rug washing class that includes the opportunity to clean some viscose under supervision. You will feel more comfortable doing it on your own if you have done some already.

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
If the issue is only yellowing, a mist of 3% hydrogen peroxide can help. Maybe repeat if needed. Only treat the yellow area. Otherwise you may get some of the surrounding area too white.

Often with animal urine there are other problems such as damage to the fiber or the glue that holds the rug together. Inspect for these problems or you may make the situation worse.

Help your client to understand that viscose is basically paper. It is wood pulp or some other type of cellulose treated with a caustic solution and made into fiber. It is meant to be disposable. Some very cheap rugs are viscose, but also some very high end designer rugs are made of viscose. The buyer may think that high price means quality and something that will last a long time. Not so. Help save your customer from repeating the mistake of buying viscose.

To avoid mistakes like this in the future, attend a rug washing class that includes the opportunity to clean some viscose under supervision. You will feel more comfortable doing it on your own if you have done some already.
Hi Scott! Here's hoping you and other esteemed Gents are around as well for this one...

Picked up a viscose tufted rug today...(Need I say more!)

I couldn't remember while with the customer if Viscose is the one to run away from. I guess I was right. But, I did make it clear that I would have to research how to treat the rug..

I already called her and told her that cleaning these is a challenge to say the least now that I have been reminded these ARE the ones to run from!

We agreed I would see if I can find a way to treat the rug. Else, return. it to her. (Not good!)

So here are some pictures. The tag says 100% viscose from Pier 1.

That is dog urine on the rug.

I have crb, upholstery tool, wand. Those are my big guns...

Can this be cleaned or should I return it untouched with my tail between my legs??

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• viscose.jpg
    viscose.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 185
  • viscose 1.jpg
    viscose 1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 185
  • viscose 2.jpg
    viscose 2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 185
  • viscose 4.jpg
    viscose 4.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 181

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Hi Scott! Here's hoping you and other esteemed Gents are around as well for this one...

Picked up a viscose tufted rug today...(Need I say more!)

I couldn't remember while with the customer if Viscose is the one to run away from. I guess I was right. But, I did make it clear that I would have to research how to treat the rug..

I already called her and told her that cleaning these is a challenge to say the least now that I have been reminded these ARE the ones to run from!

We agreed I would see if I can find a way to treat the rug. Else, return. it to her. (Not good!)

So here are some pictures. The tag says 100% viscose from Pier 1.

That is dog urine on the rug.

I have crb, upholstery tool, wand. Those are my big guns...

Can this be cleaned or should I return it untouched with my tail between my legs??

Thank you in advance!

That rug will not only be a challenge it can turn into a nightmare.

If your client is willing to sign a disclaimer and a waiver then maybe its worth taking photos of before and experiment. but be warned that even with signed documents this can still bite you.

Those of us who have had the experience of dealing with this and worst being cautious, careful and knowing the chemistry, science and have worked hard to avoid issues and still have come across problems because of a cleaning, I must tell you that you need to be honest, not promise ANything and cover your donkey.

if you dont want to deal with the stress and drama or more possible drama, walk away from it.

However if there is a cleaner nearby that has insurance and is willing to put it in writing and cover the the rug for replacement and is in legal business (legit) then take it to them and sub it out to them and have them do the washing/cleaning. there will always exist a risk taker

Reactions: TillertheJohn

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States

If your client is willing to sign a disclaimer and a waiver then maybe its worth taking photos of before and experiment. but be warned that even with signed documents this can still bite you.

Those of us who have had the experience of dealing with this and worst being cautious, careful and knowing the chemistry, science and have worked hard to avoid issues and still have come across problems because of a cleaning, I must tell you that you need to be honest, not promise ANything and cover your donkey.

if you dont want to deal with the stress and drama or more possible drama, walk away from it.

However if there is a cleaner nearby that has insurance and is willing to put it in writing and cover the the rug for replacement and is in legal business (legit) then take it to them and sub it out to them and have them do the washing/cleaning. there will always exist a risk taker
Its funny because I left a voicemail and a text for the customer letting them know the prognosis is not good and need to see what they want to do. I haven't heard back.

Maybe they are happy getting it hauled away fro trash for free.

Then I get to experiment!!!!

Now I no. Viscose = art silk = RUN

Reactions: sbsscn

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Its funny because I left a voicemail and a text for the customer letting them know the prognosis is not good and need to see what they want to do. I haven't heard back.

Maybe they are happy getting it hauled away fro trash for free.

Then I get to experiment!!!!

Now I no. Viscose = art silk = RUN

The Art in the fancy term "Artisan Silk" stands for Artificial silk

about the same as rayon, pretty much in the same family

next time offer them to dispose of it for a fee. that way when you do dispose it you wont suffer the cost. Ive done this cause some of these wont fit a trash can. if They do not response send them a certified letter explaining your verdict and to please reply within a timeline. Wait at least 30 days after your deadline expires and then do as you wish. BUT
double check your local laws and regulation about holding and disposing property within your legal rights.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States

this thread is 2 years old, in those 2 years i have done more than a few of messed up viscose rugs, even this rug up above with pee stains on it,,, i would use robs black label and unchained scrub with a blue pad then a bonnet then steam , and fans to dry.. I look at this now and laugh inside because i know i can charge a pet charge to do it. Now realize i am only doing this as a last resort and the customer should know this and sign the waiver... I am 100% on saving these rugs.. when this thread started i was still learning how to save these rugs now i do it all the time and with monster results.... Its all in the Chems boys, we are just the vessels using the tools !

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
this thread is 2 years old, in those 2 years i have done more than a few of messed up viscose rugs, even this rug up above with pee stains on it,,, i would use robs black label and unchained scrub with a blue pad then a bonnet then steam , and fans to dry.. I look at this now and laugh inside because i know i can charge a pet charge to do it. Now realize i am only doing this as a last resort and the customer should know this and sign the waiver... I am 100% on saving these rugs.. when this thread started i was still learning how to save these rugs now i do it all the time and with monster results.... Its all in the Chems boys, we are just the vessels using the tools !
two things:

1.) How much is a pet charge?

2.) Hard time believing disposable rugs with pet damage can be saved

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
The Art in the fancy term "Artisan Silk" stands for Artificial silk

about the same as rayon, pretty much in the same family

next time offer them to dispose of it for a fee. that way when you do dispose it you wont suffer the cost. Ive done this cause some of these wont fit a trash can. if They do not response send them a certified letter explaining your verdict and to please reply within a timeline. Wait at least 30 days after your deadline expires and then do as you wish. BUT
double check your local laws and regulation about holding and disposing property within your legal rights.
Awesome input thank you for sharing.

On the other hand ugh Ill guess Ill be looking at this rug for awhile.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
two things:

1.) How much is a pet charge?

2.) Hard time believing disposable rugs with pet damage can be saved
1 charge what ever you can get for the pet charge usually i am at 200 for pet charge plus the cleaning charge.

2 Acids and Peroxide kills pet damage, unless its bleached the rug you can fix it...
but you should always try when you find these horrid rugs, get them to sign a waver then try to fix it... You have to do it to learn how to do it. Never be scared to try to save a rug that is destined for the trash bin..... You wouldnt believe the shit ive tried on rugs.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Nope not worth the trouble..........
hogwash, explain that you wish to try to save , prespray scrub and extract ,,,, doesnt work make it stronger, its rayon clean the living shit out of it and learn what to do to save them....
Learn to make an easy 350 off them...

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
hogwash, explain that you wish to try to save , prespray scrub and extract ,,,, doesnt work make it stronger, its rayon clean the living shit out of it and learn what to do to save them....
Learn to make an easy 350 off them...
. Sorry but It’s just not worth the extra steps that still might not stop the eventual yellowing and browning that occurs. My risk/reward analysis after cleaning a bunch in the past tells me this. As I’ve gotten older I’ve learned that I don’t have to take everything that comes my way along with all someone else’s problems. I’ll leave that up to a guru like you.....

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I offer 2 services onsite and offsite.

No way would I clean a viscose or rayon rug onsite.
I just do not have all available equipment in my van

I charge $2.50 per sqft for odor control
I cahrge $4.50 per sqft for offsite hand washing
For pet stains it varies.

Rayon and viscose can be cleaned but they are risky fiber and are problematic.