How to remove brown stain from viscose rug? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How to remove brown stain from viscose rug?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The only thing that sort of looked like silk was the pillow

Bentley

Jan 22, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Real Name
Patrick Bentley
Business Location
United States
Viscose and other varieties of rayon are cellulose material. The cellulose goes through processes that break it down and then regenerate it into a fiber. But it is still plant material. I don't like to get hung-up over defining it as natural or synthetic. It is really something in between.

The original source of the cellulose in the feedstock makes little difference. It can be bamboo. It can be other plant fiber. When rayon was made in the USA, the main feedstock was cotton linters. These cotton scraps were what was available. Now that most rayon / viscose is made in Asia, they use more bamboo because that is more readily available, but cotton is still used.

There is certainly an increase in the volume of rayon / viscose in the market. This includes both area rugs and wall to wall carpet under the Tencel brand name. Something we should all be prepared to handle. When it passes through a designer's hands, this cheap fiber is somehow transformed into an expensive luxury item. You don't want to buy it because of some cleaning issue.
Scott,
I've been on here a while but never really ask questions. I cleaned a viscose white rug that had dog urine on it. Not even realizing it was viscose, I was rinsing the one spot. Tried to dry it fast and it definitely yellowed. Is there ANYTHING that can be done?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scott,
I've been on here a while but never really ask questions. I cleaned a viscose white rug that had dog urine on it. Not even realizing it was viscose, I was rinsing the one spot. Tried to dry it fast and it definitely yellowed. Is there ANYTHING that can be done?
If the issue is only yellowing, a mist of 3% hydrogen peroxide can help. Maybe repeat if needed. Only treat the yellow area. Otherwise you may get some of the surrounding area too white.

Often with animal urine there are other problems such as damage to the fiber or the glue that holds the rug together. Inspect for these problems or you may make the situation worse.

Help your client to understand that viscose is basically paper. It is wood pulp or some other type of cellulose treated with a caustic solution and made into fiber. It is meant to be disposable. Some very cheap rugs are viscose, but also some very high end designer rugs are made of viscose. The buyer may think that high price means quality and something that will last a long time. Not so. Help save your customer from repeating the mistake of buying viscose.

To avoid mistakes like this in the future, attend a rug washing class that includes the opportunity to clean some viscose under supervision. You will feel more comfortable doing it on your own if you have done some already.