How to remove brown stain from viscose rug?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I agree, I only do the crazy things when its the last resort...
I sometimes do crazy things, but I try to avoid that in front of customers. Frankly, some of the stuff I hear other guys do would scare me so I stick to what I know works. I read on another site just last nite something to the effect that you should understand how a chemical will react before using it. Here is a quote from Jim Permberton worth reading. I hope he doesn't mind me copying and pasting it! "
Here Are The Facts!

*If you don't know what you are cleaning, or . . .
If you don't know how it will react with your products -- You will never get consistently good results! -- and,

One day you will ruin something!!

I never so much put that into words, but I have pretty much followed that wisdom, because believe me, I've had a few close calls myself. Jim showed the consequence of a cleaner who used his carpet cleaning prespray on a couch and destroyed the color. My guess is that bought himself a used couch like so many others I've hear of doing. I make no apology about this, viscose scares the crap out of me more than any other fiber that exists on the planet earth. My approach is this to virtually everything I clean. When in doubt, play safe. If I don't understand it don't do it. If I can't use the safest things I know about and get the desired outcome don't do it or turn it down. Keep in mind I very rarely turn anything down. I remember once just having a very good carpet cleaning detergent in my machine and I came real close to buying an expensive Haitian cotton chair! It pays to be a scardy cat sometimes or maybe just a wise owl.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I sometimes do crazy things, but I try to avoid that in front of customers. Frankly, some of the stuff I hear other guys do would scare me so I stick to what I know works. I read on another site just last nite something to the effect that you should understand how a chemical will react before using it. Here is a quote from Jim Permberton worth reading. I hope he doesn't mind me copying and pasting it! "
Here Are The Facts!

*If you don't know what you are cleaning, or . . .
If you don't know how it will react with your products -- You will never get consistently good results! -- and,

One day you will ruin something!!

I never so much put that into words, but I have pretty much followed that wisdom, because believe me, I've had a few close calls myself. Jim showed the consequence of a cleaner who used his carpet cleaning prespray on a couch and destroyed the color. My guess is that bought himself a used couch like so many others I've hear of doing. I make no apology about this, viscose scares the crap out of me more than any other fiber that exists on the planet earth. My approach is this to virtually everything I clean. When in doubt, play safe. If I don't understand it don't do it. If I can't use the safest things I know about and get the desired outcome don't do it or turn it down. Keep in mind I very rarely turn anything down. I remember once just having a very good carpet cleaning detergent in my machine and I came real close to buying an expensive Haitian cotton chair! It pays to be a scardy cat sometimes or maybe just a wise owl.
the chems I use ive been using them for a while,,, I personally have not seen anything freaky about viscose rugs, they seem to take a beating and clean right up,, now the ones I scrubbed were going into the trash if I couldn't save them so ,,,,,, I had everything signed where I was in no trouble if something went wrong... but no they scrubbed up like a champ, and cleaned up great.

Cauns1975

Aug 4, 2018
Real Name
Cauns
Use spotless material and press solidly to ingest however much fluid as could reasonably expected. Try not to rub. This can set the stain further into the mat ,making it harder to expel and expanding the odd that the stain will reshow up.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I think that if the stain is water based or organic then Dry cleaning (solvent) wont do anything to it.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Usually the homeowner tried to clean it themselves, even with water these rugs will just brown out. You have to treat/clean the entire rug evenly, so it all dries uniform. Set the nap. Use blowers right away and try to get it dry as fast as possible...
I agree, I have also dry downside and float the rug with blowers. I have found that sometimes lightly misting stain magic and drying downside and float drying helps prevent the cellulose browning, But viscose is a pain in the neck

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
What's undeniable is this: customers are buying viscose rugs because they're less expensive to purchase... and are finding that getting those rugs cleaned is far more expensive than they anticipated.

So in essence, these rugs are "disposable" - meaning more expensive to fix than to replace.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Over here in the North Bay area, I see a lot of clients buying Viscose because their decorator or interior designer recommended it. Folks over here are coughing up up to $30k for viscose rugs I feel so bad when their pets ruin them and I wont touch them nor guarantee
There's an excellent article on viscose/rayon in this month's Cleanfax:

Rayon: The Fiber That Just Won't Go Away

And a few older articles with a similar theme:

Run From Rayon Rugs

Viscose Rayon Rugs

Rayon: The Most Challenging Fiber

Admittedly, this is only one source of information... but there certainly seems to be a mindset in the industry that Viscose = EVIL.

Ive been saying it for some time, Be careful, use caution and avoid it as much as possible.