How to remove brown stain from viscose rug?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
How should I go about removing this brown stain from this 100% viscose rug?

IMG_0128[1].JPG

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
How should I go about removing this brown stain from this 100% viscose rug?
I would mix up some acid rinse 1:10 in a spray bottle and mist it on then use a soft brush to brush it in. Put a fan on to speed dry. Repeat the process if necessary.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Do you know what the origin of the discoloration is? Water, urine, tea, etc? That helps in determining how to remove it.

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
I'd lightly mist with heavy peroxide...same way you tried the acid.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
if its water try to encap. You could try coffee remover or what Grn suggested.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Like a regular 3% hydrogen peroxide?
That’s what I’d start with.

Was this stain caused by Clean water or is this from a roof leak or something like that where the water may have been dirty?

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
@Paradise305 , no strong peroxide like 40 volume. Lightly mist then go over it with a white towel not to soak it up but to gently feather it out. Viscose and Urine on viscose brown/yellow easily. Sometimes strong peroxide lightly misted will help a lot with this...you don't want to saturate it the fibers get all matted up. Viscose is a poor fiber for rugs.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
No luck with that. Any other ideas?
Since it doesn't appear to have responded to either peroxide or an encap I would go with a debrowning or tannin remover. Actually that's what I would have started with. Here are two that I've used that have worked for me. You might want to pick up one or both of them. I rarely use Matrix Target, but if the Spartan product were to fail that would be my next step w/o a doubt. If both failed I'd be done at that point. Since that's viscose I'd mist the area and maybe gently work it in and allow to dry. If either of them are going to work it will be fairly quick, sometimes instantly. The Spartan Contempo is about the only product I buy locally. Here are some links if you're interested or you may try a similar product. I'm sure there are some other brands that would work.

You may be dealing with both a water stain as well as true fabric browning. Water ph's vary quite a bit. Pure distilled water should be very close to neutral, but it can go either way from there. If that were any other fabric besides viscose I could just about guarantee one of these would most definitely work. I would mix either of the following products with preferably distilled water or at least soft water from my van.

https://www.spartanchemical.com/products/product/315004/#packaging-variations
I've used Contempo to remove both water marks as well as browning on numbers of fabrics and carpets.

http://www.jondon.com/matrix-target-tannin-stain-remover.html ( Note: this stuff is fairly concentrated. DO NOT use undiluted. Dilution is 2 to 6 ounces to a gallon.)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
I decided to give the rug back to the customer as is. I don't feel like paying for a new rug. I hate viscose.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I decided to give the rug back to the customer as is. I don't feel like paying for a new rug. I hate viscose.
That’s probably the smartest thing to do in this case.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It would be interesting to know what the ph of the water that was spilled on there actually was
Welcome to the viscose haters of America club. :mad: TMF branch of course. I'm sure there are many more all over the globe by now. I've been a member for a while now and I'm sure many have joined since I did. I'm glad there isn't much of it in my area and hope it stays that way until I retire!

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
It would be interesting to know what the ph of the water that was spilled on there actually was

Welcome to the viscose haters of America club. :mad: TMF branch of course. I'm sure there are many more all over the globe by now. I've been a member for a while now and I'm sure many have joined since I did. I'm glad there isn't much of it in my area and hope it stays that way until I retire!
I have cleaned about 20 of these rugs now , scrubbed em all with a bonnet and had nary a problem,,, its rayon for goodness sakes,,,
this stain looks permanent , if todds acid didn't work then I would definitely go with a brown out cleaner or tannin remover.
more than likely its not coming out

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have cleaned about 20 of these rugs now , scrubbed em all with a bonnet and had nary a problem,,, its rayon for goodness sakes,,,
this stain looks permanent , if todds acid didn't work then I would definitely go with a brown out cleaner or tannin remover.
more than likely its not coming out
l've seen lots of stains that "looked permanent", but weren't. I'm sure you have as well. That is either a simple water stain or it could have actually browned if the water's ph was just a tad high. There are acids and then there are products like Target with a ph of .5 to 1. With either browning or water stains I always go for a browning agent or very rarely Target. There's no way to know whether it would work on that stain, but it absolutely would not surprise me if it did. Seen them work too many times. We also don't know if there might have been some kind of chemical residue already in the rug that reacted when the water was spilled. I know we may have different approaches to things. No two carpet cleaners do things exactly alike. I know my method and those products that I gave above work a whole lot more than they fail. There are things some guys do that I will never do. I'd rather err on the side of caution that buy someone a new rug.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
l've seen lots of stains that "looked permanent", but weren't. I'm sure you have as well. That is either a simple water stain or it could have actually browned if the water's ph was just a tad high. There are acids and then there are products like Target with a ph of .5 to 1. With either browning or water stains I always go for a browning agent or very rarely Target. There's no way to know whether it would work on that stain, but it absolutely would not surprise me if it did. Seen them work too many times. We also don't know if there might have been some kind of chemical residue already in the rug that reacted when the water was spilled. I know we may have different approaches to things. No two carpet cleaners do things exactly alike. I know my method and those products that I gave above work a whole lot more than they fail. There are things some guys do that I will never do. I'd rather err on the side of caution that buy someone a new rug.
I agree, I only do the crazy things when its the last resort...