How to price a home (sample)

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I read about the first 15 replies and figure we should just all meet up at this house and knock it out in 10 minutes, split the bill and spend the next hour untangling our hoses.

Barry C

Aug 28, 2013
Harrisonburg Va
www.greensolutionscleaning.net
Real Name
Barry Click
Business Location
United States
Wow prices all over the place.
How much time are some of you guy's expecting to stay there cleaning.
Based on the sq ft and empty... I'm estimating we would take 3-4 hours two man crew moderately soiled and nice TM.
Pretty easy to say how you would price this on the forum here.
Wonder were some prices would be really at if this wasn't an exercise ( sq ft only info provided ) and an actual job you truly wanted to book.
Man if you can't do a thorough job averaging 800-1000 sq ft an hour at this house I would say time to stop dog fukin and get to work.
Good for you Kevin @ $1470.50 for this house, how many of these did you actually clean last year?
Not calling BS, just wow!
I actually did one like this not long ago. Largest residential I have done yet. A small amount of furniture to move but they moved most everything, even the beds. Carpet was spread on three floors plus three onsite rug cleaning. Finished in six hours by myself.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I actually did one like this not long ago. Largest residential I have done yet. A small amount of furniture to move but they moved most everything, even the beds. Carpet was spread on three floors plus three onsite rug cleaning. Finished in six hours by myself.
I don't find this job to be too large based on the sq ft Rob posted.
We have many homes up my way that are maybe not as large looking from the outside as the pic of Rob's but have 2500 plus sq ft in carpets when you add in the full basement that is also carpeted.
Take a 2200 sq ft bungalow ( 4 beds/ liv/din/hall , carpet going downstairs into full basement recroom another 3 bedrooms ) . Total sq ft of area 4400 sq ft less 1500 sq ft for kitchen, laundry room , furnace room and bathrooms that all isn't carpeted = approx 2900 sq ft of carpet plus staircase.
This is just an example with a bungalow. Two storey's with full basement can have 2500 sq ft of carpet up here plus two sets of staircases .

Last edited:

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
$730 no protector. Not very many of those around here.
I charge 27 cents a square empty and a buck a step.

A Buck a stair??? Come on now. You might as well give your work away.

You should charge ATleast Ten Times your square foot price for a stair.

What is easier to clean? A 10X10 room for 27 bucks?
Or 10 stairs for 10 bucks?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Well, with the average prices in this thread it looks like I would only need 1/3 to 1/2 as much work to make the same amount of money with probably more profit.
I too run a higher than industry job average and choose to do less work and charge more. Different business models work that's for sure. The lowest bidder @dmreed4311 may look crazy low on his $320 but I believe he did over 150k last year as a solo O/O.
He has been told many times that at his prices he is slowly going out of business , just doesn't know it !! He laughs all the way to the bank!
Pretty hard to find an O/O on here that nets as much as David does in the year.
Maybe just as hard to find an O/O that will do a better job than him too!

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Being this is a great property management company that gives us lots jobs each week I charged 700 to clean and 100 to deod. If it was a homeowner paying prob around a K.

Thanks for participating. I'll try to do more. Great stuff in here!

@owenscott @russrroberts
Awesome and how long does a job like that take, Rob? Dual or single wand?

Barry C

Aug 28, 2013
Harrisonburg Va
www.greensolutionscleaning.net
Real Name
Barry Click
Business Location
United States
A Buck a stair??? Come on now. You might as well give your work away.

You should charge ATleast Ten Times your square foot price for a stair.

What is easier to clean? A 10X10 room for 27 bucks?
Or 10 stairs for 10 bucks?
Glad your prices work where you are. You would not survive here. To many other business trying to work the commercial and low price residential here. Plus we have a very high percentage of college students so we have tons of move outs that I compete for against the low ball hacks. I still get $50 more for a standard two story townhouse that the other guys here because I have the good reviews.
Lived in residential is different. I do charge $2.50 a step and .36 a foot for the lived in customers. You have to find what works in your town and go with it. My brother runs a carpet cleaning company only 40 miles from me and his customers, pricing and marketing are very different than mine.

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
There were two instances here recently where folks took advantage of me one was a sweet little old lady who in my mind had ffull intensions of what she did by treating me like a handy man. By time I left I had re arranged some furniture done almost everything on her honey do list all the way down to changing light bulbs. The next was some folks that called for a carpet cleaning had me "help" (did it myself as her husband was a sack of shite)re arrange the living room and once that was done cancelled the cleaning,,,,,,

LOL, those sweet little old ladies will get you every time! I remember with my old business (back in 2003 era) the sinking feeling of walking into the little old ladies house of 100,000 trinkets, knick- knacks, and breakable little items.. you'd feel clausterphobic just standing in the midst of that. Then she'd further drive your $ per hr down just so sweetly and innocently by stuffing you to the gills with baking and tea! All the while telling amazing stories of days gone by (In seriousness I really do enjoy the stories some of my elderly clients have shared, some very amazing stuff to learn)

I don't find this job to be too large based on the sq ft Rob posted.
We have many homes up my way that are maybe not as large looking from the outside as the pic of Rob's but have 2500 plus sq ft in carpets when you add in the full basement that is also carpeted.
Take a 2200 sq ft bungalow ( 4 beds/ liv/din/hall , carpet going downstairs into full basement recroom another 3 bedrooms ) . Total sq ft of area 4400 sq ft less 1500 sq ft for kitchen, laundry room , furnace room and bathrooms that all isn't carpeted = approx 2900 sq ft of carpet plus staircase.
This is just an example with a bungalow. Two storey's with full basement can have 2500 sq ft of carpet up here plus two sets of staircases .

I agree, you gotta watch that per area pricing. works well on the smaller houses but on ones like Rob's here you work pretty cheap. I charge .25/ ft right now. Good point about the basement recrooms, up here in Canada I believe this is why sq ft pricing is important. Everybody has a basement and the carpeted areas are almost always huge. Plus the current trend is hardwood in the living room but keep the carpet in the basement for toasty feet on the cold floor. Lots of those rec rooms to be cleaned and not much main floor traffic areas which used to be the bread and butter.. can't let the basements go cheap. I also like per/ft pricing because it gets me in to do an estimate, and once you are in you just gotta be likeable and trustworthy and you have the job (oh ya, and answer your phone)

Reactions: carpettom

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
LOL, those sweet little old ladies will get you every time! I remember with my old business (back in 2003 era) the sinking feeling of walking into the little old ladies house of 100,000 trinkets, knick- knacks, and breakable little items.. you'd feel clausterphobic just standing in the midst of that. Then she'd further drive your $ per hr down just so sweetly and innocently by stuffing you to the gills with baking and tea! All the while telling amazing stories of days gone by (In seriousness I really do enjoy the stories some of my elderly clients have shared, some very amazing stuff to learn)

I agree, you gotta watch that per area pricing. works well on the smaller houses but on ones like Rob's here you work pretty cheap. I charge .25/ ft right now. Good point about the basement recrooms, up here in Canada I believe this is why sq ft pricing is important. Everybody has a basement and the carpeted areas are almost always huge. Plus the current trend is hardwood in the living room but keep the carpet in the basement for toasty feet on the cold floor. Lots of those rec rooms to be cleaned and not much main floor traffic areas which used to be the bread and butter.. can't let the basements go cheap. I also like per/ft pricing because it gets me in to do an estimate, and once you are in you just gotta be likeable and trustworthy and you have the job (oh ya, and answer your phone)
Very thought out post! Glad you could chime in on basements and what the sq ft can add.
Have to say those little old lady's still don't lift a finger , and we will happily clean wall to wall. Still the old girls get charged large. Seniors in my area have money and are more than happy to pay. Heck we even go back the next day, remove tabs,blocks, and put small breakable items back. I Love cleaning for seniors, favorite custy of all.

Reactions: Magnum Clean

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States

)
One of my favorites is a regular who was a Marine in WWII and her husband got the silver star in the battle of the bulge,,,,I always take my time and give her a break. Up until just a few years ago she still had their original car, an old 40's dodge ,,,,

Reactions: Magnum Clean

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
Very thought out post! Glad you could chime in on basements and what the sq ft can add.
Have to say those little old lady's still don't lift a finger , and we will happily clean wall to wall. Still the old girls get charged large. Seniors in my area have money and are more than happy to pay. Heck we even go back the next day, remove tabs,blocks, and put small breakable items back. I Love cleaning for seniors, favorite custy of all.
It works out well when you are in this senior's demographic who has the $$. I was not with my first business, I was the 22 yr old starting out with a porty out of the back of my car.. my pricing was around 20 bucks a room so I attracted the lower demographic.. lots of less fortunate seniors living on little, I gave them discounts and helped them out. You just gave me a good insight though, the elderly with the money are the ones who need the higher level of service and are happy to pay.. good clients indeed.

One of my favorites is a regular who was a Marine in WWII and her husband got the silver star in the battle of the bulge,,,,I always take my time and give her a break. Up until just a few years ago she still had their original car, an old 40's dodge ,,,,

Wow! thats the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
It works out well when you are in this senior's demographic who has the $$. I was not with my first business, I was the 22 yr old starting out with a porty out of the back of my car.. my pricing was around 20 bucks a room so I attracted the lower demographic.. lots of less fortunate seniors living on little, I gave them discounts and helped them out. You just gave me a good insight though, the elderly with the money are the ones who need the higher level of service and are happy to pay.. good clients indeed.

Wow! thats the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

russrroberts

Jan 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ
www.steamnfresh.com
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
Being this is a great property management company that gives us lots jobs each week I charged 700 to clean and 100 to deod. If it was a homeowner paying prob around a K.

Thanks for participating. I'll try to do more. Great stuff in here!

@owenscott @russrroberts
Appreciate the feedback! It's very eye opening.