How to prespray carpets properly?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
The key is how to build a business around new/inexperienced technicians who have a reliable/repeatable process to properly determine what they are cleaning...

Welcome to the biggest obstacle in this business. How to take a new guy and make him relatively competent in 2-3 weeks.
I would take fully competent in three months. Seriously..
PM me if you figure it out. Reward is awaiting...

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I can get a technician (one I interviewed and checked out), able to do basic carpet and upholstery cleaning properly in 2-3 weeks depending on their aptitude. Give them a few weeks doing just those cleanings in the field, then start working on Tile. After a few more weeks, hardwood. It creates a sense of accomplishment for them.

It's not a big secret and I don't mind telling people how to do it, because in the end most of them say it won't work or don't want to invest in other people.

Dispel the thought in your mind that they will, "Never be as good as you" and they WILL make some mistakes.

Here's a very basic rundown of how to do this. Give them good hands on training in the field and classroom training. But But but...I already do that! And most guys still don't work out!?!?

While doing this training...give them encouragement/motivation through good communication, praise and incentives. They need to FEEL part of the team. They need to FEEL your respect and your willingness to care about them as an individual.

That's the truly hard part. It's also getting harder because Millennials are more like this than ever, and I don't see it as a weakness, it's a shift in culture. They don't do "jobs" because that's whats right anymore. They want to know why and FEEL important in the work they do. Once they FEEL that, it's amazing how they put the cell phones down and the shitty attitudes go away.

Other trick is, if your gut tells you the guy is a bad apple in the first week. Get rid of him. Don't waste time, don't tell yourself, "Well maybe it was a fluke he called in or showed up late 3 days in a row". Get rid of him.

Reactions: Thewy and rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’m a big believer in hiring slow and firing fast newer workers that flake.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
How to take a new guy and make him relatively competent in 2-3 weeks.

impossible!

If all you want is a guy who could spray a solution that you gave him and use the wand you may get away with it but if you want to make a real tech out of him at least one year of real training will be needed.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Formic acid works well to test Nylon

You don't get it, do you?
I know EXACTLY what formic acid does. I dyed carpets for years. All Rob is doing is using it in reverse. Polyester, acrylic and olefin will never melt in formic acid. Nylon and wool will. Simple. Get it now?

And why do you think he gave me a thumbs up on my reply? Because it IS formic acid.

Reactions: sbsscn

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’m selling the sizzle not just the steak.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
impossible!

If all you want is a guy who could spray a solution that you gave him and use the wand you may get away with it but if you want to make a real tech out of him at least one year of real training will be needed.

I want a guy who can start handling basic carpet/upholstery cleaning after the first few weeks and start bringing in money for the company. Over the course of that year he receives further training and grows in skill/confidence and by the end of that year he's a Rock Star Technician.

I don't expect him to be 100% competent, hell I'm not 100% even after 4 years in the industry.

One year of training before tackling appointments on his own and you'll never grow the business.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I know EXACTLY what formic acid does. I dyed carpets for years. All Rob is doing is using it in reverse. Polyester, acrylic and olefin will never melt in formic acid. Nylon and wool will. Simple. Get it now?

And why do you think he gave me a thumbs up on my reply? Because it IS formic acid.

I’m selling the sizzle not just the steak.

I remember back in my young and dumb days I moved a table with a large base. There was a rust stain about 2 feet in diameter where the table sat. I got my rust remover out and started removing the stain. Well, I had enough rust remover to remove about 1/3 of the stain. Here I am with 1/3 of the stain removed.....what do I do now??

Well, rust remover is an acid so I thought I’d try another acid I had on the truck that I’d used on tile & grout. I went out to the truck and got what I now know was formic acid. I squirted it on the rust stain and all of the sudden I saw the “Sizzle” Rob speaks of. Along with the sizzle I saw smoke as well. I grabbed the wand as quick as I could to rinse the carpet out.

The acid worked, the rust stain was gone......AND SO WAS THE CARPET!!!!!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I remember back in my young and dumb days I moved a table with a large base. There was a rust stain about 2 feet in diameter where the table sat. I got my rust remover out and started removing the stain. Well, I had enough rust remover to remove about 1/3 of the stain. Here I am with 1/3 of the stain removed.....what do I do now??

Well, rust remover is an acid so I thought I’d try another acid I had on the truck that I’d used on tile & grout. I went out to the truck and got what I now know was formic acid. I squirted it on the rust stain and all of the sudden I saw the “Sizzle” Rob speaks of. Along with the sizzle was done dmoke as well. I grabbed the wand as quick as I could to rinse the carpet out.

The acid worked, the rust stain was gone......AND SO WAS THE CARPET!!!!!
Sorry I had to laugh. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Sorry I had to laugh. :ROFLMAO:
I look back and laugh now too. It wasn’t funny at the time but it’s a great story l have to share now LOL.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Old Carpet Vet....There in lies the answer...The carpet will tell you what you need to do, If your experience is in line...It takes seconds to know this.
Usually I have seen this in burber, but not all the time.

Carpets have been telling me what to do since about 1987, but I had ear plugs in for a lot of those early years. :) I only had one local supplier and knew nothing about all the stuff available today. I used the same extraction cleaner for years that could be used in a pump up or in the extractor. I normally mixed it in a 2 gallon pump up for a lot of years. I struggled a lot, but made most of my customers happy with it. I'm sure the optical brighteners in that Xtraction II from Spartan helped brighten up some of those old, nasty carpets and upholstery! They still sell that stuff to this day. Just to be clear I don't use optical brighteners, but it was sometimes amazing to watch those dull, dingy carpets and fabrics brighten up literally before my eyes. Btw, that same supplier is still here and still sells Xtraction II and very little else for carpet cleaning. I've tried to coax them into other lines w/o any luck.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
How did you spin it to the client? "This is now a carpet repair opportunity" =)>

I showed the customer. Luckily they didn’t care. He said to put the table back and forget about it.

Whew!:nailbiting:

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States

Good to know
that you know.

Take it Easy:rolleyes:;)