How to pick the right Truckmount

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I get asked this a lot. Rob, how do I pick the right Truckmount? Or what make and model Truckmount do you recommend? So my question is what are some points I can make to help them?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Tops on my list is to stick to a name brand for one simple reason RESALE! when it comes time to upgrade or just get a new one, a name brand will always get a better percentage back than an off brand. Yes, you will pay more upfront but will more than recoup it on the back end.

ALSO, (saying from experience) dont get a lower price model just to save money! The bigger the motor, blower and pump the faster you can clean and thats what we are selling here - out TIME. so in essence you may save money on the TM but take longer to do jobs. Keep in mind that a water cooled engine will last longer than an air cooled engine. Again, it costs more, but will last longer...

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I've winterized my TM and will be full-time portable until further notice on every job. I don't see a TM purchase anywhere in my future either. Having said the above while wildly unpopular, business hasn't suffered a bit, as a matter of fact I have seen a slight increase in referrals. My brother is still 100% TM on every job, but I'm so ok with just 1 daily filter clean every evening and that's it... No effin troubleshooting something, oil changes, no wonky injection issues, wiring problems, relays kinda bad, solenoids acting up, etc... Every time I hit the switches it works perfectly everytime, not like 60% of the time... it works everytime. I'm very much on par with my refined system in setup and breakdown as I was with a TM, so I don't suffer the time hit always talked about. Carpet, upholstery, tile, area rugs, all on the same job, same machine, same customers water heater, no problem. I know this isn't where this thread is going, but there it is. 10 years from now I see a different landscape for the on-site cleaner.

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
There goes MacGyver at it again
LOL.

Jim...I see your landscape changing as well. Great things are coming your way. Keep your eye on the prize. You're gonna be HUGE.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Personally, I always buy used, and I think I'm hard-headed because what attracts me most is the garage builds. Maybe it is the challenge of turning a bad machine into a bad ass machine. Personally I pick machines by the components. I want at least a 45 blower, but I aim for 47 and above. For engines 25 HP is what you will find most 45's running. I shoot for bigger than 25 HP, and my idea engine is a liquid cooled car engine. The Truckmounts with the 38 HP and 47 blowers really intrigue me though so I bought one, and am looking for another used eventually.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I guess its like asking, whats your favorite prespray? Everyone will give a different answer.

What I have found interesting reading posts on TMs is that there is a large pool of owners that like tinkering with them. Almost like they spend more time on their TM then they do cleaning. Sorry, Im not one of them

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I am following this thread because I am thinking of buying a TM so I can double wand with my son. So far a TM that has a liquid cooling is better then air cooling which I have noted that. Also a belt driven is easier to maintain. However when I read Jim's view on this I kind of having second thoughts to stay where I am at and do a different approach for double wand (plan b).

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Im newer than alot of you at this, but without any training I've wrenched on and fixed everything from $200 lawn mowers to $600,000 heavy equipment. It's all nuts and bolts and put together by people who get up and put their pants on in the morning just like you and I. Alot of guys getting into carpet cleaning have a lot of time on their hands between jobs, and often they dont really have the steady income to be making a huge truckmount payment. Or if they do have the money, they would be better off using that money in marketing or building a buisness. There are a huge amount of very very affordable used truck mounts out there that aren't old pieces of junk. At some point it becomes a better value to have something bran new and flawless because time is jobs at some point.
What works best for one person isn't usually the same for someone else.

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I get asked this a lot. Rob, how do I pick the right Truckmount? Or what make and model Truckmount do you recommend? So my question is what are some points I can make to help them?
First off, I would recommend to check balance on business checking account or pilow case filled with a $100 bills. If both trials were successful, choose and purchase truckmount that fits you well.
I've done just that and I'm expecting unit to be delivered in the end of this month

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
First off, I would recommend to check balance on business checking account or pilow case filled with a $100 bills. If both trials were successful, choose and purchase truckmount that fits you well.
I've done just that and I'm expecting unit to be delivered in the end of this month
Nice. What ya getting?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Stainless steel frame, stainless steel waste tank, fuel fired heat.
Only three manufacturers that I know of that do the all stainless
Judson, EZ, Steam Action.
Steam Action is heat exchange only so call and ask for a custom built non heat exchange or buy used and pull the heat exchangers. Non heat exchange is way easier to work on imo.

Coupler driven all stainless TM with diesel heat is the only way I would do it if it was me as a owner/operator.
Stainless steel will still look new when your are 80 and retired :). Pass it down to your grandkids :). Buy one TM one time and be done with it. Replace parts as they wear out.

If I was a multi truck operation they would be all Judsons with all millivolt propane heaters or Steam Action Nike non restricted blower heat exchange machines. I would only do the heat exchange for employee safety. Other than that I hate heat exchange but Steam Action Nike is the most simplest imo and you can get it in all stainless, even the fresh tank.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Still running my original TM from Cleaning Technologies (highly modified) - Roots #45 blower (this is more than enough to run dual wands all day long), Cat pump (3.5 GPM), 240,000 BTU LP auto heater, and the most reliable APO on the planet!

Been using her for 33 years of worry free cleaning.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I would buy local if I could. Brand names so parts are available. Stay as simple as you can.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I would buy local if I could. Brand names so parts are available. Stay as simple as you can.
dont have to buy local if its the right setup. 11 years ago while I was recovering from eye surgery I ran across a guy from Las Vegas that had the EXACT setup I was looking for - Apex with Water Pond and Water Softener in a 1 ton Extended van. Setup was just 8 months old and van had like 2000 miles on it and Apex had 200 hours. Even though I am in Wisconsin, it was a no brainer to go and get it. A new setup at that time would have been $54,000 and I paid $42,000 and it included another $6000 of tile equipment, portables, etc.