How to pay technicians

robert 1

Jan 12, 2010
Wichita Falls TX
titanpro24.com
Real Name
Robert Gamez
You have to take many things into consideration. For one are you just paying them cash or are they on payroll. I only have 2 techs on payroll and they are paid 10 Hr. Any up sales are done by me on the phone at time of appointment. They work 8:30 -4:00 M-F. I belive that's fair. ( then new one is 9.00 Hr until training session complete)
Because on payroll , your have to pay : the accountant, a % of their Ss, workers comp insurance, unemployment insurance, vehicle insurance with them on it, chemicals, gas, and so on... So I believe it comes down to , do you know how much it cost to run your truckmount each job on a average. Know your profit margin, and know wether your up or down from previous year on revenue. These are things you should know with or without employees. I know in 08 I had people working and labeled them as independent contractors and paid them cash, but as long as I was supplying equipment and requiring them to wear uniforms and be at work at a certain time, they were actually an employee and I would be required to pay back taxes on them. Commission is no different than an employee except the rates they are being paid. After all that from 09 to 2011 I did the work because I couldn't afford an employee after, because at that time I was doing apartments, and 3 rms @ 85.00. In Jan 2012 I dumped all apartments and special pricing. And went to only residential prices based on situation and consultation. 1 tech of mine will do 2 jobs a day no more., I give them time allotment of 2 hrs at each job so they don't have to hurry and then a hour cleaning up at the end of the day and a hour getting ready at the beginning of the day.

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
You have to take many things into consideration. For one are you just paying them cash or are they on payroll. I only have 2 techs on payroll and they are paid 10 Hr. Any up sales are done by me on the phone at time of appointment. They work 8:30 -4:00 M-F. I belive that's fair. ( then new one is 9.00 Hr until training session complete)
Because on payroll , your have to pay : the accountant, a % of their Ss, workers comp insurance, unemployment insurance, vehicle insurance with them on it, chemicals, gas, and so on... So I believe it comes down to , do you know how much it cost to run your truckmount each job on a average. Know your profit margin, and know wether your up or down from previous year on revenue. These are things you should know with or without employees. I know in 08 I had people working and labeled them as independent contractors and paid them cash, but as long as I was supplying equipment and requiring them to wear uniforms and be at work at a certain time, they were actually an employee and I would be required to pay back taxes on them. Commission is no different than an employee except the rates they are being paid. After all that from 09 to 2011 I did the work because I couldn't afford an employee after, because at that time I was doing apartments, and 3 rms @ 85.00. In Jan 2012 I dumped all apartments and special pricing. And went to only residential prices based on situation and consultation. 1 tech of mine will do 2 jobs a day no more., I give them time allotment of 2 hrs at each job so they don't have to hurry and then a hour cleaning up at the end of the day and a hour getting ready at the beginning of the day.
Why give them an hour at the end and then an hour at the beginning?

robert 1

Jan 12, 2010
Wichita Falls TX
titanpro24.com
Real Name
Robert Gamez
Why give them an hour at the end and then an hour at the beginning?
During the hour at beginning I go over daily our customer service practices everyday, and to over their jobs for the day. At the end of the day it's to allow them time to fill out their logs , clean van and waste tank, and prepare van for next day.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
Ive tried both and a combination of both. I am currently paying hourly for the following reasons.

1. The math is simple. No figuring out sales.
2. Encourages good cleaning not sales. I would rather have a great cleaner.
3. My guys are willing to put in 60 hour weeks to get the overtime.
4. They dont bring any equipment or materials to jobs.
5. If I lose money on a job they still get paid...I once had an employee complain about a discount I gave a customer because it effected his commission.
6. On the same note its fair to other employees working smaller jobs, that arnt as big a number, yet just as important to our company.
7. All customers are treated the same on an hourly rate... No matter if its a 1 million dollar job or 1 dollar the employee has the same incentive to do an outstanding job customer satisfaction.
8. Lets me worry about what my company made that month, week, day, or hour....Your still getting paid for your time and work.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

MAU CORNEJO

Feb 1, 2012
ESTADO DE DE MEXICO
Real Name
MAURICIO CORNEJO
Business Location
United States
In Mexiland After 25 years I have tried a lot of different ways to pay them, only salary, salary and commision 10, 15, 20 percent , or only a bigger comission.

I was really strict with them, any mistake I charged them with a big money penalty. I lost a lot of good employees In this toxic circle. And had a lot of inside robbery, like tools, machines, clients, etc.

One day, for some reason, I went to visit to his home, one of my best employees, who had a much better income than the Mexican Average worker, he had been working with me for 15 years.

I was terrified the way he lived, only one and a half room, very small rooms, in one room the kitchen and a table, in the other room the bedroom for all the family, 4 members. No privacy at all he lived in a way that I didn't imagine with that "good salary and commission", I couldn't believed it.

After that I started to changed their payment and my attitude with all the employees:

First A good fix salary, in my case, 30 percent more that any of my competition.

As an extra, The Saturday Big Commercial jobs that we usually have, I pay them the double or triple (depends on the size) they. Will earn in a normal day.

And 40 percent commission for extra sales, they make at the moment with a client. Because here some of the clients love to offer money in the dark to them to do it without reporting to my company, so this way they started to say NO to the client.

With all this, I feel my employees a lot happier, they never quit, most of the time I'm the one who fired some one, They stayed for a lot of years, no rotation, if they are gone, they tried to come back, and I reduced dramatically the extra sales lost. I prefer only a 60 percent of an extra sale, than nothing.

With Saturday - Sunday's commercial contracts I reduced the problem of slow months and I think it's my obligation to save money for the slows months to keep paying them well, because they have also sons and daughters to feed doesn't matter its slow or not, Otherwise I will lose a good employee just for being cheap and short minded.

I'm very convinced now, that the problem it's not if you pay them by commission to keep them motivated, or by a salary, or both ways, the problem is that we are bad at hiring and keeping good and long term employees and most of the times the first bad step it's to be cheap and pay them just the necessary or what every other company pays.

Make a good, professional and slow hiring process and research with no urgency for good employees, and when you find a good one, pay them very well and a lot better than your competition give them a chance to grow, to promote, and you will see the great results he will give you.

It's very difficult, I know, but if you enter to this good circle, you will be making a lot more money with happy clients, bigger tickets and high price services, a lot of referrals and excellent Quality work with a lot less effort.

That was my real Mr Scrooge story, yes The 2000's Christmas Carol of Mau Dickens,

You just need to stop thinking only in you or your company and start thinking a lot more in your employees, they are the heart of your business, you always need a healthy heart to survive! Don't you think?

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Ive tried both and a combination of both. I am currently paying hourly for the following reasons.

1. The math is simple. No figuring out sales.
2. Encourages good cleaning not sales. I would rather have a great cleaner.
3. My guys are willing to put in 60 hour weeks to get the overtime.
4. They dont bring any equipment or materials to jobs.
5. If I lose money on a job they still get paid...I once had an employee complain about a discount I gave a customer because it effected his commission.
6. On the same note its fair to other employees working smaller jobs, that arnt as big a number, yet just as important to our company.
7. All customers are treated the same on an hourly rate... No matter if its a 1 million dollar job or 1 dollar the employee has the same incentive to do an outstanding job customer satisfaction.
8. Lets me worry about what my company made that month, week, day, or hour....Your still getting paid for your time and work.
Great points we all should consider for employees

Carrots

Apr 15, 2015
Real Name
Chris Sims
Weakly lol. I usually pay my helper from the time we leave my house till we get back. $15 per hour. Right now since it's snowing and cold I pay a percentage whatever I think I should. Like yesterday we work an hour and a half and I paid him $50. I'm set for the winter but my helper needs to make money for his small family.
$50 for a days work ? Where do you live ? Afghanistan ? Jesus wept !

Carrots

Apr 15, 2015
Real Name
Chris Sims
In Mexiland After 25 years I have tried a lot of different ways to pay them, only salary, salary and commision 10, 15, 20 percent , or only a bigger comission.

I was really strict with them, any mistake I charged them with a big money penalty. I lost a lot of good employees In this toxic circle. And had a lot of inside robbery, like tools, machines, clients, etc.

One day, for some reason, I went to visit to his home, one of my best employees, who had a much better income than the Mexican Average worker, he had been working with me for 15 years.

I was terrified the way he lived, only one and a half room, very small rooms, in one room the kitchen and a table, in the other room the bedroom for all the family, 4 members. No privacy at all he lived in a way that I didn't imagine with that "good salary and commission", I couldn't believed it.

After that I started to changed their payment and my attitude with all the employees:

First A good fix salary, in my case, 30 percent more that any of my competition.

As an extra, The Saturday Big Commercial jobs that we usually have, I pay them the double or triple (depends on the size) they. Will earn in a normal day.

And 40 percent commission for extra sales, they make at the moment with a client. Because here some of the clients love to offer money in the dark to them to do it without reporting to my company, so this way they started to say NO to the client.

With all this, I feel my employees a lot happier, they never quit, most of the time I'm the one who fired some one, They stayed for a lot of years, no rotation, if they are gone, they tried to come back, and I reduced dramatically the extra sales lost. I prefer only a 60 percent of an extra sale, than nothing.

With Saturday - Sunday's commercial contracts I reduced the problem of slow months and I think it's my obligation to save money for the slows months to keep paying them well, because they have also sons and daughters to feed doesn't matter its slow or not, Otherwise I will lose a good employee just for being cheap and short minded.

I'm very convinced now, that the problem it's not if you pay them by commission to keep them motivated, or by a salary, or both ways, the problem is that we are bad at hiring and keeping good and long term employees and most of the times the first bad step it's to be cheap and pay them just the necessary or what every other company pays.

Make a good, professional and slow hiring process and research with no urgency for good employees, and when you find a good one, pay them very well and a lot better than your competition give them a chance to grow, to promote, and you will see the great results he will give you.

It's very difficult, I know, but if you enter to this good circle, you will be making a lot more money with happy clients, bigger tickets and high price services, a lot of referrals and excellent Quality work with a lot less effort.

That was my real Mr Scrooge story, yes The 2000's Christmas Carol of Mau Dickens,

You just need to stop thinking only in you or your company and start thinking a lot more in your employees, they are the heart of your business, you always need a healthy heart to survive! Don't you think?
Best post on here . I treat my employees the same and we are thriving . I have seen the cheap business owners on here who think a guy can pay his bills on such little money . The people they must be employeeing must be a terrible site . Must be getting them from
Skid row .

peterbreen

Jan 22, 2017
Real Name
Peter Breen
Raw Pre Spray is right paying commision they will only clean on jobs.They won't prep supplies for next days work. This is what i do i tell them its my truck its not their pig pen if i need to supply the truck with cleaning solutions for their commision then Im taking 10% from the sales ticket.
Get ready for the $15.00 min. pay scale

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I paid my helper last week $25 an hour for 4 hour job. I snatched him from the restaurant I was cleaning for after he already completed his 10 hours shift. Poor guy is texting me every day and asking for more... He's imagining easy money for moving hoses around....

Carrots

Apr 15, 2015
Real Name
Chris Sims
Raw Pre Spray is right paying commision they will only clean on jobs.They won't prep supplies for next days work. This is what i do i tell them its my truck its not their pig pen if i need to supply the truck with cleaning solutions for their commision then Im taking 10% from the sales ticket.
Get ready for the $15.00 min. pay scale
Just listen to yourself . My reply to you would be ,keep your dental insurance up to date as you will be needing it if you take any money from my check . Your a cheap ass boss not a god .

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I paid my helper last week $25 an hour for 4 hour job. I snatched him from the restaurant I was cleaning for after he already completed his 10 hours shift. Poor guy is texting me every day and asking for more... He's imagining easy money for moving hoses around....
Or could be much needed fast cash to get him out of a hole. Paycheck to paycheck people already have next weeks paycheck spent on iou's before they even get it.

Reactions: Luky

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I paid 15 bucks an hour plus a 15% commission except for one tech that's just a straight commission he gets 30% he's also my best salesman

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I have 2 employees that I pay by the hour. The lead tech/driver makes $16 per hour and the helper makes $13. On slow days I will creat work by either having them clean certain rooms in my own house or offering free cleanings to my friends or Neigbor's just to keep them busy. They both get a 4 hour minimum for coming in. They may sound crazy to some but keeping guys happy means keeping them around.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
EXCELLENT IDEA!!!
makes total sense