shooky

Nov 11, 2013
Katy, TX
www.shookcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Joe Saad
Business Location
United States
I was thinking of offering a flat percentage of each job however what do i do when business is slow?
My thoughts were to offer a base salary at minimum wage, that way if the tech didn't make commissions he would be guaranteed pay. Otherwise if business was too slow for an extended period of time, i could just lay off the tech. Hiring good people is tough but need to be business minded yet appreciative of employees.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
I have 2 employees that I pay by the hour. The lead tech/driver makes $16 per hour and the helper makes $13. On slow days I will creat work by either having them clean certain rooms in my own house or offering free cleanings to my friends or Neigbor's just to keep them busy. They both get a 4 hour minimum for coming in. They may sound crazy to some but keeping guys happy means keeping them around.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Minimum wage plus commission sounds good to me. :)

Reactions: rob allen

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Weakly lol. I usually pay my helper from the time we leave my house till we get back. $15 per hour. Right now since it's snowing and cold I pay a percentage whatever I think I should. Like yesterday we work an hour and a half and I paid him $50. I'm set for the winter but my helper needs to make money for his small family.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Back in the days when we had employees, Mack Clark said hourly while training (first two weeks) then percentage. It works

Prior to that we were straight hourly. Our main lead tech (actually my sister in law) was hourly with a helper. Mack said one person per truck. Did she whine! I could understand - change is hard. I told her that we would keep it the way it is for a month and watch the numbers to see how it would work. After two weeks she was begging me to switch.

Percentage will make them work more efficient. If you pay them hourly, they will be like the County workers that drive 15 mph in a 50 mph zone.

Concerning slow times, if they are out cleaning, then your job is to be out marketing. If they aren't cleaning, they can help you in marketing.

Pay them for free cleaning - pass that one by Mack. Wow

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We used to lay off in Winter but now with rug shop we keep them busy 24/7 365 days a year.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
one thing to think about if you have a multi truck operation is to have different types of bonuses or contests every other month to keep things interesting. Keeps them sharp and builds your bottom dollar!

shooky

Nov 11, 2013
Katy, TX
Real Name
Joe Saad
Business Location
United States
Back in the days when we had employees, Mack Clark said hourly while training (first two weeks) then percentage. It works

Prior to that we were straight hourly. Our main lead tech (actually my sister in law) was hourly with a helper. Mack said one person per truck. Did she whine! I could understand - change is hard. I told her that we would keep it the way it is for a month and watch the numbers to see how it would work. After two weeks she was begging me to switch.

Percentage will make them work more efficient. If you pay them hourly, they will be like the County workers that drive 15 mph in a 50 mph zone.

Concerning slow times, if they are out cleaning, then your job is to be out marketing. If they aren't cleaning, they can help you in marketing.

Pay them for free cleaning - pass that one by Mack. Wow
Yeah. I'm thinking commission too. Other colleagues said the same thing about hourly. No incentive to upsell or book extra jobs. What do you suggest should be the average salary and commission % range?

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Busy Bee Floor Care

Jan 11, 2013
Real Name
Jeff Gardner
I pay 13 per hour. Commissions for jobs he produces at 20 percent plus the hourly to work the job. For every 5th referral in a months time he gets 5 percent more.

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I pay straight commission. 20% however. It's winter. About to lay off until may

Sent from my SM-G920V using TMF Forums mobile app
I've don't this in past, lay others off. Fortunately we can keep them busy these days. But most my techs would rather be off than work. And 20% is what we pay our techs also.

shooky

Nov 11, 2013
Katy, TX
Real Name
Joe Saad
Business Location
United States
I've don't this in past, lay others off. Fortunately we can keep them busy these days. But most my techs would rather be off than work. And 20% is what we pay our techs also.
Ok so with that said, what is the avg of each job or what is the average yearly? I ask because my price point is in the middle. It's cheaper to keep an employee than recruit, hire, train and loss due to mistakes so not sure if to go 30%.

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
We used to lay off in Winter but now with rug shop we keep them busy 24/7 365 days a year.
Very very cool. With my car detailing and carpet cleaning its getting better for my business in the winter. But a rug shop seems like a great idea

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Have to much of a heart to lay them off.
That's the hard part of being a business owner, sometimes you have to separate personal feelings from what's best for business. With that being said if you have employees we should be trying to keep work coming in but some tomes things are out of our control.

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
I pay $12.50 per hour + 10 percent on sales. If the tech sells an add on service he gets 10% of entire job, not just the add on. This is a super aggressive comp plan for my area. My competitors pay $9..

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
La Porte, IN
www.evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
I was thinking of offering a flat percentage of each job however what do i do when business is slow?
My thoughts were to offer a base salary at minimum wage, that way if the tech didn't make commissions he would be guaranteed pay. Otherwise if business was too slow for an extended period of time, i could just lay off the tech. Hiring good people is tough but need to be business minded yet appreciative of employees.
I wouldn't do commission to shield your customers from a high-pressure sales pitch. That's one way to kill your repeat business. I've tried percent, which seems the most logical, BUT if you do percent, your techs will NOT refill their chems, take care of the van or shop as they'll only care about cleaning carpet. I'm currently paying hourly, which has it pros and cons, but I'm still thinking of other pay scales that makes everyone happy.