How to ID carpet fibers in 30 seconds or less!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Very cool. For some newbies out there doing water damages. This could also be helpful when ID carpets for replacement.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Very cool. For some newbies out there doing water damages. This could also be helpful when ID carpets for replacement.
Hi, what do you mean by water damages? How could this product be used for it? Thanks

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Hi, what do you mean by water damages? How could this product be used for it? Thanks
On the rebuild side, my carpet layer needs to know what kind of carpet to put back in. In order to avoid confusion, a fiber test would help him buy the right fiber of carpet for the rebuild. Didn't happen to me, but I know of a restoration company that had to buy a woman new carpet bc the carpet they re laid wasn't the right fiber. Very rare for that to happen though.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
On the rebuild side, my carpet layer needs to know what kind of carpet to put back in. In order to avoid confusion, a fiber test would help him buy the right fiber of carpet for the rebuild. Didn't happen to me, but I know of a restoration company that had to buy a woman new carpet bc the carpet they re laid wasn't the right fiber. Very rare for that to happen though.
Ok, I see. Thanks!

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Awesome product Rob..... great for a quick test that looks professional as well. Any special pricing on the new release?!?!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I used to use formic acid, to do the same thing.
formic acid, Acetic acid, Acetyl Bromide, Butyls,Aluminum Potassium Sulfate, Anti freeze, Carbon Tetrachloride, Formaldehyde at 100% (full concentration), Hydrofluoric Acid, Hydrogen Peroxide above 30%, Isopropyl and I mean a bunch of other chemicals can do severe damage to nylon. Formic acid tends to be the most popular and Ants can also damage Nylon

Last edited:

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
if you want to test for Polypropylene it can be severely damaged by Peanut oil, Lacquers, Lacquer thinners, Carbon Tetrachloride, Nitrous Oxide, Hydraulic oil including Synthetic version, Turpentine and the list goes on.....And you thought Polypropylene was completely chemical resistant

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
if you want to test for Polypropylene it can be severely damaged by Peanut oil, Lacquers, Lacquer thinners, Carbon Tetrachloride, Nitrous Oxide, Hydraulic oil including Synthetic version, Turpentine and the list goes on.....And you thought Polypropylene was completely chemical resistant
Will any of them dissolve the poly immediately Arm? @sbsscn

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
It is, but a fraction of most carpets I clean are nylon anymore. Look at the stock carpet at the home centers 95% poly's. Nothing cleaned like the old solution dyed nylons did. The 50oz.+ Face weight nylons were murder with the TM under a 100' string.... 1/2 a room and your push arm hurt. People sadly don't buy quality goods anymore.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
You know Jim as I was trying to gather samples to do the video, I was unable to find any nylon samples anymore at HD or Lowe’s. They had them last year. This year NO nylon samples.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Pile shading on 10 yr old nylon came out with 02 and a solvent booster, looked awesome and stayed that way. Poly's look like garbage in 3 yrs regardless of our skill and we have to explain they chose disposable carpet. Not awesome!