How To Get People To Pay?

davenjai

Dec 16, 2009
Peachtree City, GA
Real Name
David Tassa
Business Location
United States
He said the agreement between both of them was payment at completion.

Yes, apartments and property management companies, among others, take 30+ days to pay, but this was prearranged at a small business where the owner is accessible and on site. Not to mention if you call a property management company and ask about payment they'll straight up tell you to wait. None of this jerking around stuff. The day care told him "come by we'll have your check" and then surprise no check.

I get that, I was just surprised by the recommendations.

Dirtmaster

Jan 28, 2011
FL
Real Name
Damion Raburn
Business Location
United States
I do a few day cares in my area , I usually get paid the same day but recently it took about 30 days .. my kids daycare charges me $1 per minute if i am late picking them up.maybe you should charge them a late fee as well .Have you payed them a visit in person ?

fred3655

Oct 2, 2011
Texas
Real Name
Luis Paulet
Business Location
United States
We finally collected yesterday after 3 weeks of bothering their office repeatedly. I think the owner and director got tired of hiding from us. Even then, they didn't face us, it was the secretary that gave us the check.

However, they didn't pay us the sales tax, saying we weren't a "real company" even though I provided him with our sales tax certificate, a written estimate including sales tax, insurance information, etc, during our initial meeting. He even had me fill out a background check sheet because it was a preschool and nursery, before I could begin work.

I called the Texas State Comptroller's office. They recommended that I send a registered letter requesting either payment of the sales tax or providing evidence of tax exemption. If that doesn't resolve the matter, I just have to call the state sales tax representative in that area and he will provide them an official visit. From there it could lead to a complete audit or revoking their business license.

But before I do anything, I'm going to wait until the check clears first.

I always thought that picketing outside the business or bringing any publicity to the bad debt was against the law. Slander, libel, harrassment.. something like that. My wife wanted to go into their reception area and steal the check-in computer and HDTV monitor, holding those hostage, but I don't think that would fly either.

I like the lawyer letter idea. I've talked to a few people who said that it doesn't always work, but overall your return is better than collections, even though more accounts may slip through the cracks. Thanks for the suggestions, it just really bothers me when people act like that. Don't ask for the service if you can't or won't pay for it. Seriously, how hard is that?

We do plenty of end-of-the-month billing, and I know that terms are standard in this industry. However, I don't come out and offer that right away or everyone would take it, not to mention we could be out as much as two to three months of service (think janitorial here) before pursuing the first month in collections. It is also in our Terms of Service that we are not in the business of extending credit and we could require any business to pay an up-front deposit for services, or have payment immediately due after service has been completed.

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
I been trying to wrap up with people that own me a lot!
11814_303516263071863_199020000188157_649656_1651362577_n.jpg