How to Deal with Commercial Customer Wasting my Time?

seattlebest

Feb 6, 2012
Washington
Real Name
Nathan Resick
Business Location
United States
so I don't normally work weekends but made an exception for a commercial job because it was a decent amount ($450)

Last sunday I show up and the knob controlling the water was removed and I had to pack up and leave again without cleaning because I didn't have access to water. So this time they got the knob for me so I went back to clean today.

Today when I show up I flip a circuit right away and they have no idea where the circuit breaker was and told me I had to reschedule.

Both days I spent about 1.5-2 hours at the location because I had to setup, move furniture around and then move all the furniture back before I left.

Right now I have about 3-4 hours total there without getting paid.

Kind of feel like charging them extra for both those days. What would you guys do? How much extra would you charge them or would you just quietly put up with that and clean again with no extra charge?

SoDak Carpet Guy

Dec 23, 2018
Real Name
Chris Rolfes
so I don't normally work weekends but made an exception for a commercial job because it was a decent amount ($450)

Last sunday I show up and the knob controlling the water was removed and I had to pack up and leave again without cleaning because I didn't have access to water. So this time they got the knob for me so I went back to clean today.

Today when I show up I flip a circuit right away and they have no idea where the circuit breaker was and told me I had to reschedule.

Both days I spent about 1.5-2 hours at the location because I had to setup, move furniture around and then move all the furniture back before I left.

Right now I have about 3-4 hours total there without getting paid.

Kind of feel like charging them extra for both those days. What would you guys do? How much extra would you charge them or would you just quietly put up with that and clean again with no extra charge?
I would chalk it up to a learning curve...and make sure some of those things are addressed before I show up the first time. JMHO, but some of the responsibility lies on you as well. Hope everything works out for you.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Sounds like it is partly your fault. Most carpet cleaners carry all kinds of "keys" for water spickets. It's very common that they are locked or dont have handles. Second, if you choose to use a portable, you should take responsibility for finding power. From the customers perspective, you might have wasted their time because you weren't prepared. Other carpet cleaners bring their own water and power.
If you warned them about those things in advance, then I would hold them accountable.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I put in the commercial quote specifically what needs to be done prior to cleaning. As an example, all important papers off the floor, chair mats removed, etc. Also specify whether a water source is needed (in our case with a truckmount it would be an outside water source) and verify its location (so you know prior to cleaning about the knob and how much water hose to bring). Circuits arent a problem with a TM, but you may want to specify how many amps your machine is so that it matches their power source OR have some type of setup to be on two breakers.

This is where MANAGEMENT comes into play. We are all good at cleaning, but you may want to improve on the Planning part of Management.

Planning
Staffing
Organization
Direction
Control

Last edited:

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
ok thanks guys

how do I delete this post now? I cant figure out how
No need to erase the thread, trust me a lot more people learn from reading about stuff like this. This is a place from beginners to experts can learn. Keep the thread you may never know but I guarantee there’s going to be a bunch of hose Bibb tools being sold to people so they don’t have this happen to them. They may never say anything but many benefit from our posts.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I never bid a job without making sure they have access to water and power if they don't I bring both which of course they pay for.
I give them an established time in which they have to pay or they get charged (full price)!!!

We make most of their money doing commercial work. When done right it pays really well it takes a lot of management

seattlebest

Feb 6, 2012
Washington
Real Name
Nathan Resick
Business Location
United States
I never bid a job without making sure they have access to water and power if they don't I bring both which of course they pay for.
I give them an established time in which they have to pay or they get charged (full price)!!!

We make most of their money doing commercial work. When done right it pays really well it takes a lot of management

I hear you. This bid was done by an employee who left years ago, and this was my first time doing it. I probably would have bid it a bit higher too.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I hear you. This bid was done by an employee who left years ago, and this was my first time doing it. I probably would have bid it a bit higher too.
Sorry man that stinks.
Sometimes you just get those rough jobs that's all there is to it.
I've made it my policy when an employee leaves I rebid the job. Which is actually easier said than done.
I try to leave a water key in my van and I repeat try it's only missing when I desperately need it lol

Rory henderson

Sep 22, 2015
Real Name
Rory henderson
I keep a water key in truck there at homedepot for about 7 bucks & if I'm using my portable I keep a washing machine hose & sink adapter on truck....nothing like not getting the job done over a minor technicality

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
This is learning experience for you. Pretty standard problems for commercial jobs.

1. Carry a water bib key
  2. Visit the site in advance to find the breakers, alarm systems and such.
  3. Make having a key part of the agreement. You can come on your schedule not sit around and wait for them.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
All commercial bids I check over first .
Check for water bid outside or a sink inside .
Preview the rugs condition .
Set the time and date straight in person face to face if it's a first time one time deal .
Check for a electric outlet if needed for my RX - 20 or fans .
Most important is the payment

Reactions: Ymetimme