How to clean "yellowing" off of apartment walls? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How to clean "yellowing" off of apartment walls?

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man
I got a phone call to clean a couple bedrooms of carpet and 2 couches this upcoming Monday. The guy also asked if I could clean the walls.
I was a little thrown off by this and I didn't really say yes or no, I just told him I'll look at it when I get there. I thought he meant they were just dirty and I figured it might not be a big deal but then he told me there is some yellowing on the lower part of the walls. I have no idea what could have caused it or if there is a efficient and effective way to clean that off? Anyone ever seen anything like that before or know of anything that would be good to use?

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man
I've done this before and I used a mild solution of vinegar in water. About maybe a cup per 2 gallons. I used one of those wringer sponge mops that squeeze the sponge.
Thank you! Not sure what type of sponge mop you are talking about but I’ll probably just try a regular scrub sponge.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Thank you! Not sure what type of sponge mop you are talking about but I’ll probably just try a regular scrub sponge.

Attachments

Reactions: FinMan

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
From time to time, I clean rentals including the hallways and stairs. Just the other day, I was asking landlord, why are the walls everywhere almost snowy white and implied using some light beige or beige paint to better hide smudges and dirt. Answer did surprised me. Allegedly beige paint starts yellowing up faster than white. Strange... So, before cleaning I would investigate little bit more about smoke damage and see to a what point is the wall washable. Is the paint cover satin, eggshell, semi and so on. My point is, you put effort in something, which might not benefit you at the end, so you better do your homework before.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I used to wash walls for a maid service and got quite fast/efficient at it. Here's how I did it. Mix a bucket of soapy water (use something like simple green) dip in a window washing scrubber and wring it out but just barely.

Now you scrub the wall usually about five feet wide from floor to ceiling but you'll figure out pretty quick how much to scrub before you dry.

So after you've scrubbed the wall take a second window scrubber that is dry and hang a towel over it and clip it in place with spring clamps that look like a capitol A. Use as small as you can find because squeezing them things gets real tiring by the end of a day.

AND REPEAT all around the room. It's a lot like painting. Just start in one corner and move around the room. Change your water often depending on how dirty the walls are. I would get a fresh bucket every room sometimes.

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man
From time to time, I clean rentals including the hallways and stairs. Just the other day, I was asking landlord, why are the walls everywhere almost snowy white and implied using some light beige or beige paint to better hide smudges and dirt. Answer did surprised me. Allegedly beige paint starts yellowing up faster than white. Strange... So, before cleaning I would investigate little bit more about smoke damage and see to a what point is the wall washable. Is the paint cover satin, eggshell, semi and so on. My point is, you put effort in something, which might not benefit you at the end, so you better do your homework before.
Very true. I asked the landlord if the tenant was a smoker and they said no. I’m just going to set up a little area when I’m done with everything else at the job and if it’s not coming off I’m just going to tell them I can’t get off and that will be that. I will try to find out what type of paint it is though. Will be interesting to see if the walls are beige.

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man
I used to wash walls for a maid service and got quite fast/efficient at it. Here's how I did it. Mix a bucket of soapy water (use something like simple green) dip in a window washing scrubber and wring it out but just barely.

Now you scrub the wall usually about five feet wide from floor to ceiling but you'll figure out pretty quick how much to scrub before you dry.

So after you've scrubbed the wall take a second window scrubber that is dry and hang a towel over it and clip it in place with spring clamps that look like a capitol A. Use as small as you can find because squeezing them things gets real tiring by the end of a day.

AND REPEAT all around the room. It's a lot like painting. Just start in one corner and move around the room. Change your water often depending on how dirty the walls are. I would get a fresh bucket every room sometimes.
Cool advice. My main concern is how to get the yellow off.

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man
Just posting this for anyone who runs into this issue in the future and might pull up this thread. I didn't attempt cleaning the walls because the customer decided to just paint them. I could have tested an area just out of curiosity but they told me not to worry about it and it just looked like it was decades old, dulled out pain that needed a few fresh new coats. Don't think there was anything a cleaning would have done.