How to clean this sofa?

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man
Hello everyone. This is a couch that I am cleaning in a couple of weeks, also doing a matching love seat and ottoman. The customer said it’s not leather but also not a cloth type of fabric.

I am still new to this business so not very sure on what the material is or how to safely and effectively clean it. Can you please take a look and let me know.

Important to note is that they are having them cleaned because they smell bad from a dog they had and there is urine on the pieces.

The products I have for cleaning and urine treatment are from BonnetPro and TMF. I also have Benefect Decon 30.

What would the proper way to clean these and remove the smells?

Thank you!

a7d1c7fe6e106611e66229399722f0f4.jpg

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Just by looking at this photo, It looks like leather.

Can you take a small sample and (burn) test it?
Almost looks like its Micro "suede" but it will still be important to know if its synthetic or natural (cellulose) fiber?

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man
I haven’t been to the customers house, this is a photo that they sent me. Not sure where I could pull fabric from to do a test, doesn’t seem like there would be a way to do that from this piece.
When zooming in I was thinking the same that it looks like some kind of suede. The lady said her husband says it’s not leather.

I’m just wondering if I can do a deep wet clean with my portable or not.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
It looks like Pleather to me. Pleather is a fabric that has the appearance of leather. It can be easily wet cleaned using your upholstery wand.

Before you go full blast on cleaning TEST it first. Clean the zipper side of a cushion and make sure all is good before cleaning the whole thing.

If there’s urine in the sofa you are going to have a hard time removing it. When cleaning upholstery you are only cleaning the outer fabric. That urine is most likely deep down in the cushions and there’s nothing you can do to fix it with an upholstery wand.

There are options for urine removal. You would need to replace the foam filling and clean the cushion cover inside & out. This can remove the urine odor from the cushions but if there is any urine down in the foam filling on the sofa frame they are pretty much out of luck. I recommend a blacklight inspection to see just where the urine is and how bad it is.

If you go forward with the job I would make sure the customer understands here are no guarantees on odor removal, in fact you can almost guarantee there will still be an odor even after cleaning. Make sure they 100% understand this before you start cleaning.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
It looks like Pleather to me. Pleather is a fabric that has the appearance of leather. It can be easily wet cleaned using your upholstery wand.

Before you go full blast on cleaning TEST it first. Clean the zipper side of a cushion and make sure all is good before cleaning the whole thing.

If there’s urine in the sofa you are going to have a hard time removing it. When cleaning upholstery you are only cleaning the outer fabric. That urine is most likely deep down in the cushions and there’s nothing you can do to fix it with an upholstery wand.

There are options for urine removal. You would need to replace the foam filling and clean the cushion cover inside & out. This can remove the urine odor from the cushions but if there is any urine down in the foam filling on the sofa frame they are pretty much out of luck. I recommend a blacklight inspection to see just where the urine is and how bad it is.

If you go forward with the job I would make sure the customer understands here are no guarantees on odor removal, in fact you can almost guarantee there will still be an odor even after cleaning. Make sure they 100% understand this before you start cleaning.

Looks like you broke it down for him really good Todd! Sell them on restoring that Mexican Floor as well.

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
Real Name
Fin Man

Thank you for that detailed and helpful response Todd! I appreciate it.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner