How to clean stairs (Training video) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How to clean stairs (Training video)

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Cool video. I hope you get $60 min for a 12-13 stairs. Do you go back to your wand if there is a landing between them. I'm like eyeball I use my wand and then a kleenrite hand tool for the nooks and crannies. I have never had a reclean on stairs. Those stairs in your video where very straight forward risers. Most of the stairs I clean have an overhang or lip, this is why I use a hand tool(yes it has plenty of water pressure and vacuum). As far as agitation after prespray I like to rub them out with my running shoes while standing (I see lots of bending in this video (poor back) don't care if your 18 or 80. If the stairs aren't to soiled the hand tool isn't even needed just pop off my vacuum hose and dry up nooks and crannys. I to will put an airmover on the stairs to speed dry. Especially in humid weather,and stairs leading down to basements (very little airflow in the staircase). No liabilty for slip and falls in Canada but caution homeowner about coming off of damp areas onto hardsurface ie bathrooms kitchen etc.. not just stairs. Like the video again hope you get at least $60 min cause I get min $40 and it may take me 10 min and yes they are spanking clean (you could eat off of them). And no funky smells or browning or soil wicking. Eyeball I'm on your side I have the the stairtools in the van but......

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Cool video. I hope you get $60 min for a 12-13 stairs. Do you go back to your wand if there is a landing between them. I'm like eyeball I use my wand and then a kleenrite hand tool for the nooks and crannies. I have never had a reclean on stairs. Those stairs in your video where very straight forward risers. Most of the stairs I clean have an overhang or lip, this is why I use a hand tool(yes it has plenty of water pressure and vacuum). As far as agitation after prespray I like to rub them out with my running shoes while standing (I see lots of bending in this video (poor back) don't care if your 18 or 80. If the stairs aren't to soiled the hand tool isn't even needed just pop off my vacuum hose and dry up nooks and crannys. I to will put an airmover on the stairs to speed dry. Especially in humid weather,and stairs leading down to basements (very little airflow in the staircase). No liabilty for slip and falls in Canada but caution homeowner about coming off of damp areas onto hardsurface ie bathrooms kitchen etc.. not just stairs. Like the video again hope you get at least $60 min cause I get min $40 and it may take me 10 min and yes they are spanking clean (you could eat off of them). And no funky smells or browning or soil wicking. Eyeball I'm on your side I have the the stairtools in the van but......

35-45 for stairs
I use wand on landings on way down,then do stairs
Only about 5-10% have the "overhang" here. Either way,tool we use works great.
I am 52 and been cleaning stairs like that for 25+ years. No pain. Actually,probably a good work out for a back. (Though I do about 75 pull ups a week)
Different strokes for different folks. So if it ain't broke,then don't fix it!
Glad it works out for you.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
35-45 for stairs
I use wand on landings on way down,then do stairs
Only about 5-10% have the "overhang" here. Either way,tool we use works great.
I am 52 and been cleaning stairs like that for 25+ years. No pain. Actually,probably a good work out for a back. (Though I do about 75 pull ups a week)
Different strokes for different folks. So if it ain't broke,then don't fix it!
Glad it works out for you.
Thank-you for your reply. I commend you for your dedication to our industry. I also have been cleaning stairs for 25+ years and appreciate your sincere comments.

Reactions: rob allen

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Another excellent thread.
We don't get many stairs here, but back in the day I did a lot of steps.
I like to spray with the wand, then vacuum with the hose.
Since I'm generally wearing shorts on the job, I just kneel down on the steps to do them, and I'm 62 years old, and overweight.
I can get the nooks and crannies, the bullnose and the overhang, and the suction is awesome.
I was about to pull the trigger on a 30" stair wand, but instead, I think I'll look for one of those 6" ones.
Looks like the right tool.
I don't like the furniture tool for steps, tool small and slow.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Hey Rob I just finished watching your video. Outstanding results and a very thorough cleaning of the steps. I like it that your son works for you or at least he is in the industry. I am particularily fond of second generation cleaners as I am one myself. This is now my 40th year in the industry. Some interesting observations and comments I have for you though. I see that you referenced that many cleaners use a S-bend multi -jet tool for stair cleaning and it is a poor choice. Absolutely right, as it is extremely gangly, awkward and can cause some serious wall damage. Soes a poor job as well. You then demonstrate using a short wand 2-jet stair tool and it's limitations. fair enough. Then you demonstrate using the short single jet 6-8inch wide stair tool and it's great advantages. Bravo!! Here's where it gets different for my company. I have been using a standard length carpet cleaning wand with a single size 8004 jet for regular carpet and stair cleaning since 1975. I clean upwards of 12,000 residential stairs a year not counting the thousand of stairs on commercial jobs. Rarely is there a call back or a brown out/soil wicking problem and we are under the pressure of winter cleaning 5-6 months a year. I am of the opinion that it has to do with the level of strength and conditioning of the cleaner. There is a technique that you have to follow that is not unlike the form or kata of a specific exercise. It just requires practice and discipline. I am guessing that your technique for stairs without stringers is about 12 steps in 18-20 minutes. Our technique yields an excellent result in half that time. Yes, you have to have great upper body strength and eye to hand coordination but it's worth it in the end. All of my staff are capable of doing this. After all, if your not fit enough to clean then what's the point. Really interested in what you all have to say about this technique and how fitness relates to being a superior cleaner. Perhaps with time and resources permitting I could do a short video to demonstrate this technique to you guys.

Thank you and interesting way of cleaning. I also agree that conditioning plays a large roll. I work out 3 times a week on weights and include a lot of pull ups to keep my back strong. Thanks again and would love to see a video some day.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Another excellent thread.
We don't get many stairs here, but back in the day I did a lot of steps.
I like to spray with the wand, then vacuum with the hose.
Since I'm generally wearing shorts on the job, I just kneel down on the steps to do them, and I'm 62 years old, and overweight.
I can get the nooks and crannies, the bullnose and the overhang, and the suction is awesome.
I was about to pull the trigger on a 30" stair wand, but instead, I think I'll look for one of those 6" ones.
Looks like the right tool.
I don't like the furniture tool for steps, tool small and slow.

Did you ever try the shorter wand Ron? We did something recently. We removed the handles and it is very light and easier to work on steps. Not for everyone,just saying.

Classicboss

Jul 30, 2008
Ithaca, New York
www.classiccarpetcareservice.com
Real Name
Dan Langendoerfer
Business Location
United States
Hey Rob, I viewed this vid awhile back, great stuff! I too just turned 30 years in the carpet cleaning business. I just ordered your ride a long dvd as well as your pre spray to try... I am looking forward to it. Great job with TMF, awesome place to be.

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Hey Rob, I viewed this vid awhile back, great stuff! I too just turned 30 years in the carpet cleaning business. I just ordered your ride a long dvd as well as your pre spray to try... I am looking forward to it. Great job with TMF, awesome place to be.

Thank you Dan. Let me know how you liked the ride a long dvd and prespray. TMF is awesome because of members like you.

Rob

PS:Almost 10k views on Youtube already of the stair video. Guess people like "instructional" type videos. Any video suggestions appreciated. ;)

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
In your ride-along video(which is well done) you mention a T&G video, does that exist?

Yes in my mind.

Half kidding. Script is done,shooting and editing is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Just finished 3 new videos. Please see next months TMF Clean Informer digital magazine for them.

Reactions: Decker

Vito

Bravo Carpet and Tile Cleaning
Premium VIP
Aug 17, 2012
Naples, Fl.
bravocarpetandtilecleaning.com
Real Name
Vito Trupiano
Business Location
United States
very good job love the video I learn a lot from that. what brand of stair tool are u using rob. u said it a 6",i been using a 89.00 4" upholstery tool it to small I need one like u got.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
very good job love the video I learn a lot from that. what brand of stair tool are u using rob. u said it a 6",i been using a 89.00 4" upholstery tool it to small I need one like u got.

It's the PMF short stubby stair tool with a lip glide.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Wow a client had dirty stairs she couldn't get clean and saw this video today. She asked for me. I hopped in the "newsed" truck and went right over, It's a lot of pressure when they said you have the number one video on carpet cleaning while pointing at her stairs. They were ugly. Thank god they were NYLON!!!!! Cleaned up like butter. Still can't believe out of the 200 videos we have made this one is at the top of Youtube search for carpet cleaning. I would appreciate it if anyone could like it or comment on it to keep it up there for me. Thanks.

Responder

Sep 16, 2012
Pikesville, MD
Real Name
Chaim Kessler
Business Location
United States
Wow a client had dirty stairs she couldn't get clean and saw this video today. She asked for me. I hopped in the "newsed" truck and went right over, It's a lot of pressure when they said you have the number one video on carpet cleaning while pointing at her stairs. They were ugly. Thank god they were NYLON!!!!! Cleaned up like butter. Still can't believe out of the 200 videos we have made this one is at the top of Youtube search for carpet cleaning. I would appreciate it if anyone could like it or comment on it to keep it up there for me. Thanks.
It's a great video. Helped me out on learning to clean stairs.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
It's a great video. Helped me out on learning to clean stairs.
Your a sharp guy Chaim. Glad I could help. 15 people didn't like it. Probably my looks. :eek::p