How to clean recycled carpet squares?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Be careful of moisture with these, depending on the manufacturer it may be a simple "pound down" set of puzzle pieces that have no adhesive. The gaps between these types of pieces are comparatively large and thus any moisture that gets underneath them may be trapped by the backing and cause stinky issues.

We usually recommend VLM cleaning, brush or bonnet style, with plenty of airflow to make sure it's dry when you're done. A moisture sensor (WetCheck or HydroSensor) will come in handy to make sure you didn't wet the back.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Be careful of moisture with these, depending on the manufacturer it may be a simple "pound down" set of puzzle pieces that have no adhesive. The gaps between these types of pieces are comparatively large and thus any moisture that gets underneath them may be trapped by the backing and cause stinky issues.

We usually recommend VLM cleaning, brush or bonnet style, with plenty of airflow to make sure it's dry when you're done. A moisture sensor (WetCheck or HydroSensor) will come in handy to make sure you didn't wet the back.
very good info, with these squares he might have to do them a few times to achieve the results hes looking for but yes it can be done.

Jul 24, 2015
San Marcos, California
www.supermariocarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Mario Vucetic
Business Location
United States
very good info, with these squares he might have to do them a few times to achieve the results hes looking for but yes it can be done.
Thanks guys for the advice.
It seems like there is more work if I have to go over them more than once. How much would you charge per square foot?

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.

Just out of curiosity, how do you distinguish them?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
On your hands and knees, you should easily see the "tile" or "puzzle piece" shape. Tiles are normally glued down. Puzzle pieces aren't designed to be glued down, but sometimes the casual installer does it anyway, heh. Give it a tug in a corner and see if it wiggles.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys for the advice.
It seems like there is more work if I have to go over them more than once. How much would you charge per square foot?
I saw Mama say not to over wet the carpet and I 100% agree but when I clean these carpet tiles, I encap them and then I crank up the truck mount and rinse very fast and dry extract the shit out of the carpet.

Reactions: aloha one

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Shouldnt have any trouble with them. In commercial setting they should be glued down. Easy enough to check as mama fen said above. Can pry up edge with hookknife or even pocket knife putty knife whatever you got. There is a few fastening types used. 1 the pressure sensitive adhesive. 2. Peel and stick lol. 3. They have these double stick tape tabs they put under them. These could be an issue. 4 loose lay or puzzle piece that inter locks. But everything ive seen in commercial is 100 percent glued. We install these alot
761fc11b1356fe0773f8e439034786ec.jpg
ba48946226dfb7d7adbdbd635056224b.jpg
ecoworx i dont think is recycled material though. But made to be able to be recycled later in life. Ill have to look into that. Save us a dumpster if they reclaim these things.

Jul 24, 2015
San Marcos, California
Real Name
Mario Vucetic
Business Location
United States
I visited client yesterday and inspected the carpet. It turned out it's regular commercial glued down carpet like one in the picture.
Maybe the carpet was built by putting together carpet tiles but once installed there is no gaps or anything in between of tiles. Also carpet feels totally even, no height difference where tiles are connected.
Looks to me that HWE would work just fine. I guess that client was just extra careful asking for VLM method or someone told him HWE might be a problem.
I don't think that fibers in recycled carpet tiles might be a problem for HWE. It's probably if there are gaps in between and the water that might get stuck underneath?

Attachments

• carpettiles.jpg
    carpettiles.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
There are gaps. Very fine line in between. But if glued down then no problems. The seams arent sealed just butted against one another. I have seen where they werent rolled and the edges were left up slightly. Dust collects there and after cleaning they can curl at corners.

Jul 24, 2015
San Marcos, California
Real Name
Mario Vucetic
Business Location
United States
There are gaps. Very fine line in between. But if glued down then no problems. The seams arent sealed just butted against one another. I have seen where they werent rolled and the edges were left up slightly. Dust collects there and after cleaning they can curl at corners.
Since there are tiny gaps, can they be cleaned using HWE in your opinion/experience?
We use Prochem everest 650 truckmount, so not much moisture is left in carpet after extraction.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Since there are tiny gaps, can they be cleaned using HWE in your opinion/experience?
We use Prochem everest 650 truckmount, so not much moisture is left in carpet after extraction.

Sure. We used a ninja portable and did the old wet&jet. While the bottom floor was subbed out to another cleaner who was using trucks. He beat the sht out of us in time of coarse. But was all good and pretty damn dry actually. The guy i was working for at that time asked me to go check on them but they were done and gone lol. There is another office i do it has been flooded 3 times. It has a few curled tiles from grit getting into and under seams but other then that no problems. And that was under water lol. These tiles have a vinyl rubber backing and the carpet fibers are fussed into it. Similar to walk in mats. But even more heavy duty.

Me personally i would vlm just because its easy and fast. The carpet in your pic looks beautiful no traffic lanes or spills in pic anyway. It does look like the kind of carpet that will make your wand skip though. Especially with the reversing directions of the tiles.

Jul 24, 2015
San Marcos, California
Real Name
Mario Vucetic
Business Location
United States
Sure. We used a ninja portable and did the old wet&jet. While the bottom floor was subbed out to another cleaner who was using trucks. He beat the sht out of us in time of coarse. But was all good and pretty damn dry actually. The guy i was working for at that time asked me to go check on them but they were done and gone lol. There is another office i do it has been flooded 3 times. It has a few curled tiles from grit getting into and under seams but other then that no problems. And that was under water lol. These tiles have a vinyl rubber backing and the carpet fibers are fussed into it. Similar to walk in mats. But even more heavy duty.

Me personally i would vlm just because its easy and fast. The carpet in your pic looks beautiful no traffic lanes or spills in pic anyway. It does look like the kind of carpet that will make your wand skip though. Especially with the reversing directions of the tiles.
I didn't want to take pictures in front of potential customers so I found this pic online just to illustrate how the carpet looks like. In one area (about 1500 sq/ft) there is quite few stains (office space/spilled drinks and food). That's coming off much better with HWE, but the guy didn't want that option since in his previous experience they had to replace some tiles after HWE. I don't know who was doing that for them, but that's why I am checking with you guys here what are your experiences. So, if I got it right, HWE is not a problem. VLM is recommended if carpet tiles are not too dirty since it's faster way to clean them?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I didn't want to take pictures in front of potential customers so I found this pic online just to illustrate how the carpet looks like. In one area (about 1500 sq/ft) there is quite few stains (office space/spilled drinks and food). That's coming off much better with HWE, but the guy didn't want that option since in his previous experience they had to replace some tiles after HWE. I don't know who was doing that for them, but that's why I am checking with you guys here what are your experiences. So, if I got it right, HWE is not a problem. VLM is recommended if carpet tiles are not too dirty since it's faster way to clean them?

I like the vlm method for them because of the suction. I dont have a glide. And for me they stay wet longer as my wand locks down. A peroxide base encap will take care of most stains like coffee/tea. Even peroxi spray or stain one. The fibers your cleaning are maybe no more then 1/4" in height then backing is solid from there down Impervious. Unlike action back carpet. But if hwe is what your used to then ide do that. They may have just had bad experience with a company that over wet it on them. Possibly used something that melted adhesive who knows. Like said you can pick one to try and pull up. It should be locked down good and tight. They are removable as glue remains tacky. But it should put up a little bit of a fight.

Dust-Go

Apr 2, 2013
Real Name
Daniel Kite
I prefer to vlm clean most carpet tiles. You can't pull air through the rubber backing. Add olefin to the mix and your fighting an uphill battle with wicking. If you only offer hwe, turn your psi down, double up your dry strokes, and place fans to speed drying.